PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter down in Chamonix

andycx
14th Sep 2011, 20:07
Helicopter crash claims 4 lives in Vallorcine (http://www.chamonet.com/news-and-weather/helicopter-crash-claims-4-lives-in-vallorcine.html)

A fatal helicopter crashed claimed the lives of 4 people this morning in the Barberine region of Vallorcine.

The accident happened at around 10am this morning when the pilot and three passengers were making a reconnaissance flight over the Emosson dam. Apparently the pilot was making a descent to drop off 2 of his passengers at the foot one of the pylons of the EDF maintenance cable car when the tail rotor clipped the cable. According to local press the helicopter immediately caught fire; 2 people were ejected but 2 remained trapped inside the cabin.

The helicopter was an "Ecureuil" (squirrel), owned by Chamonix Mont Blanc Hélicoptères and piloted by local mountain guide Jacques Fouque.

Jacques Fouque is the only victim to have been named so far but the other 3 are thought to be the son of the director of Chamonix Mont Blanc Helicoptere, the director of the Emosson dam and a former employee of the Compagnie du Mont Blanc.

Aucky
14th Sep 2011, 20:34
This is incredibly sad. I spent a good few hours speaking with the owner/director of CMBH and one of his sons a few years years ago in very broken franglais whilst on holiday in Chamonix, they are incredibly interesting lovely people, and my thoughts are with them for their losses.

alouette
15th Sep 2011, 09:09
Apparently the owner's son piloted the Squirrel...sad day...:(

minimo
15th Sep 2011, 11:37
@alouette: sorry but you are absolutely wrong! effectively, the son of the owner of the company was involved but he was NOT at the controls!
He was just acting a hoist operator-flight assistant for his father's company even though he was working towards his CPL.
This is a sad and tragic time for all of us flying in this part of the Alps.

RIP Jacques and Seb

libecciu
15th Sep 2011, 13:26
R I P mon amis