PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma over Flight school or Law school

yickxuanli
14th Sep 2011, 16:33
Good day
I am 20 this year and residing in Singapore. I’ve completed my local diploma and awaiting for my national service (2 years). Then I will be going to Australia to pursue my university education in law at the University of Melbourne; considered the best university in Australia. This will probably be a safe option for me but as I’ve only got 1 shot in overseas education, I am thinking about pursing my dream as a Airline pilot.
I’ve a burning passion for flying ever since I was a boy and I can say my desire for it is at an 11/10. If given the chance to fly commercially, I wouldn’t mind just being paid for my transport fares. To achieve that, I am thinking about pursing a degree in aviation at either Griffith University or Swinburne University. Both are in Australia and tied up to Qantas Airline. But the catch is, both universities are ranked terribly low compared to the University of Melbourne and the tied up with Qantas doesn’t guarantee me a job there. My eyesight is pretty bad <500 but its correctable by glasses. But I’m willing to go for Lasik if offered a job.
Problem is:
· The university brochure only states the course fees. How much can I expect from additional costs such as flying, license costs?
· With an aviation degree, do I actually have an advantaged compared to other applicants when I apply for the cadet pilot intake at Singapore Airlines?
· What can I do with an aviation degree should I be not successful in being a pilot? What else can I do with that degree? (Singapore is a very small country and there is NO market for private, commercial, tourism pilots)
Ultimately…
· How strict is the cadet pilot interview process for Singapore Airlines? Is it amplitude test first or the interview first?
· Should I risk my future and go for it?

Appreciate everyone for your time.

bingofuel
14th Sep 2011, 19:54
Do the law degree, get a wll paid law job, then consider starting flying training.

Mind you if lawyers in Singapore earn what they do in UK, stick with law and fly for fun as you will have the money to do it

ReverseFlight
15th Sep 2011, 04:25
Lawyers in Singapore are paid on average a fraction of some of their other Asian counterparts. That shouldn't stop you from doing a law degree and becoming a lawyer first. You can save a bit of money and get an instructor's rating to build hours by instructing part-time at weekends. After about 5 years and 1000 hours later, you may be considered for direct entry into the airlines.

Alternatively, forget about uni and spend a similar amount of money on Jetstar's Pilot Cadet Program: Careers | Jetstar (http://www.jetstar.com/sg/en/about-us/careers#PCP)

Do not go for Lasik unless you have discussed it with CAAS DGCA.

What can I do with an aviation degree should I be not successful in being a pilot?Nothing. Complete write off.