PDA

View Full Version : Op Deny Christmas 2011

cazatou
14th Sep 2011, 10:24
BBC Ceefax reporting that Fire Brigades Union is holding a Strike Ballot to start "Industrial Action" in November.

Still, look on the bright side - at least you will get to drive real Fire Engines instead of the "Green Goddesses.:ok:

glad rag
14th Sep 2011, 10:26
Still, look on the bright side - at least you will get to drive real Fire Engines instead of the "Green Goddesses.

No it's not allowed. Only MOD vehicles.

BATCO
14th Sep 2011, 10:34
How so Glad Rag

Civil Contingencies Act requires the head Sam in each area to have a plan to maintain his service in the face of many problems including striking-Sam. Only if that fails can they make a request to the Govt for military assistance.

Should the Govt consent to provide military personnel then it is best-practice from tail end of last series of Sam strikes for the individual Sam brigade/service on strike to provide the equipment and training for Servicemen, whose role would be limited to saving life (not property).

And since we no longer have GG, it's really the real Red appliance(?) or nothing (but a few MOD Reds).

Batco

glad rag
14th Sep 2011, 10:42
Depends how far HMG dare to escalate things, last time there was a real kerfuffel over just this issue. We'll see.

Wokkafans
14th Sep 2011, 10:42
These look the business :E

Shame the MOD are selling fifty of them... .

http://army-uk.com/stock/fotobig/547_special-5.jpg
(http://army-uk.com/stock/fotobig/547_special-5.jpg)

TorqueOfTheDevil
14th Sep 2011, 11:10
Civil Contingencies Act requires the head Sam in each area to have a plan to maintain his service in the face of many problems including striking-Sam. Only if that fails can they make a request to the Govt for military assistance.

So November will be spent sorting out the strike and trying to make the contingency plan work, resulting in the military being called in just in time for the festive period. Oh well, at least the firemen aren't striking during the Olympics...

Season's Greetings!

cazatou
14th Sep 2011, 11:19
glad rag

The Speech made by the Leader of the Labour Party the other day was clearly against Major Strike Action at this stage of the economic cycle.

airborne_artist
14th Sep 2011, 11:52
The Speech made by the Leader of the Labour Party the other day was clearly against Major Strike Action at this stage of the economic cycle.

Does he mean that it's OK to strike when things are going well then? ;)

cazatou
14th Sep 2011, 12:10
a a

Of course it does - but he is treading on dangerous ground at the moment.

downsizer
14th Sep 2011, 12:50
I'd love to jump on this outrage bus, truely I would....

But to p1ss (or not if you like Christmas) on the chips we won't be covering any FBU strikes. The government contracted that out after the last strike.

Willard Whyte
14th Sep 2011, 12:58
Wokafans, wouldn't this be quicker?

http://www.hazelantiques.com/Trader_s_Corner/Radio_FlyerTM/Classic_Bicycle/37_bicycle_large.JPG

Impressive equipment list too:

· Classic bicycle styling
· Steel spoked wheels with real air tires
· Chain drive
· Coaster brake
· Sturdy steel construction
· Padded adjustable seat
· Chrome handlebars and fenders
· Bike pedals do not "Free Wheel"
· Real ringing bell
· Training wheels
· For ages 3 - 6

cazatou
14th Sep 2011, 14:35
downsizer

This is not just the FBU Striking; it is a co-ordinated effort by Unison, Unite, GMB and the FBU due to start in November. Perhaps it could be better described as a "Putsch".

downsizer
14th Sep 2011, 15:06
We won't be filling in for any of them. Or I'll eat my hat :hmm:

VinRouge
14th Sep 2011, 15:11
Downsizer is correct. After last op Fiasco, the government put out to tender an "insurance" policy against FBU plumbers, electricians and taxi drivers that work as firemen in their spare time.

Shack37
14th Sep 2011, 16:01
Would someone please explain " head Sam" for the ancients reading this?

We won't be filling in for any of them. Or I'll eat my hat http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/yeees.gif

Would you like fries with that?

Ray Dahvectac
14th Sep 2011, 16:17
Would someone please explain " head Sam" for the ancients reading this?

I'm assuming it is a humorous reference to Fireman Sam, a Welsh animated children's television series character, so "head Sam" would equate to the Chief Fire Officer in each county or local authority area.

(I had to think more than twice when I first read it!) :confused:

downsizer
14th Sep 2011, 16:22
Would you like fries with that?

Some salt and vin too please :\

Shack37
14th Sep 2011, 16:30
I'm assuming it is a humorous reference to Fireman Sam, a Welsh animated children's television series character, so "head Sam" would equate to the Chief Fire Officer in each county or local authority area.

Along with Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble & etc

Thanks for clarifying:ok:

Some salt and vin too please http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wibble.gif

Shall be served as and when:)

cazatou
14th Sep 2011, 19:03
I seem to remember people saying "It will never happen" some 40 years ago and 35 years ago and 30 years ago and ........ad infinitum !!!

But then I am a KOS!!

jamesdevice
14th Sep 2011, 19:52
I still have memories from 30 years ago of hammering flat out on a CX500 bike along a dual carriageway section of the A303 and being left standing by a tender from Yeovilton.
They were on the way to a reported fire at the fertiliser bagging plant at Gillingham (Dorset).
Thankfully it was a false alarm but if it had been for real they would have been in a horrible position. A whole warehouse full of Ammonium nitrate just waiting to detonate. Not something they would have been trained for.

cazatou
15th Sep 2011, 09:58
jamesdevice

If you are talking about a Yeovilton Crash Foam Tender (as opposed to a Green Goddess) then they would certainly have been trained in respect of fighting fires caused by a crashed military aircraft full of fuel and explosive devices and they were equipped to do so.

engineer(retard)
15th Sep 2011, 14:01
For sure, they would not have been allowed near any explosives or weapons dumps :rolleyes:

cazatou
15th Sep 2011, 14:04
In the several years I flew around in the Training World with a Martin Baker Ejection Seat strapped to my backside we were regularly required to be a "practice crash" at the end of a sortie so the Crash Crews could practice removing casualties from a "crashed aircraft".

The first thing they had to do was render the seat "Safe".

jamesdevice
15th Sep 2011, 14:42
Cataziu

Yes - one of the foam tenders.
You miss my point - it was a factory / warehouse 400 yards from a town centre filled with over a thousand tonnes of Ammonium nitrate.
I find it hard to believe that would come under their training regimen.

cazatou
15th Sep 2011, 14:51
jamesdevice

Sounds like a Planning Approval cock-up to me!!

OvertHawk
15th Sep 2011, 16:18
Caz - or it could be a "Planning Solution" :E

It would certainly leave the area "ripe for redevelopment"!

OH

cazatou
16th Sep 2011, 09:18
Overthawk

You got that one "Bang to rights". Boom Boom!!:D

Jabba_TG12
16th Sep 2011, 09:29
JamesD:If you're referring to the old Honda CX500, comfortable as it was, one thing the old "plastic maggot" most certainly wasnt, was fast... not surprised you got skinned by a fire tender!

NutLoose
16th Sep 2011, 11:21
Remember the old 6 wheels Range Rovers that wallowed like a pig in mud on corners due to what felt like a lack of baffling, the one they had at a secret Wiltshire base ( nope, the other one) actually had a governor on it to restrict it's top speed lol, the might CX500 might have just kept up with that one....

jamesdevice
16th Sep 2011, 13:30
Jabba
dead right - my Plastic Maggot would top out at only around 105 on the flat
On the day I was probably doing around 95mph uphill - it left me standing

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
17th Sep 2011, 17:42
A whole warehouse full of Ammonium nitrate just waiting to detonate.

Why and how would it do that? It's an oxidiser, not an explosive; unless it's mixed with a fuel. Get it hot and fizzing and it will help the other stuff to burn rather nicely; but, to a lesser extent, so would sodium chlorate weed killer.

After Op FRESCO, I would have thought Fireman Sam would have thought twice about exposing his way of life again to the Military. I recall a certain RN WO returning from leading a Naval detachment. The lads were offered extra leave to recover from their ordeal, which surprised the WO as they'd had a more restful time than being on duty aboard.

VinRouge
17th Sep 2011, 18:09
ammonium nitrate is a very insensitive high explosive. most fertilizer has desensitizer added, however, it still can be detonated in the right circumstances.

Halifax Explosion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halifax_Explosion)

Minor Scale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minor_Scale)

like all explosives, it has a fuel and an oxidizer. its characterised by a lower detonating velocity than most high explosives, a characteristic that makes it particularly effective at demolition work.

jamesdevice
17th Sep 2011, 18:49
ammonium nitrate sold in the UK does not require - and does not normally have - a desensitiser
Hence its well recorded use in Ireland