PDA

View Full Version : WW2 Captured Aircraft

cliver029
14th Sep 2011, 08:16
Can anyone please tell me if there are any books or scources of information on the use of captured WWII RAF aircraft by the axis powers to infiltrate the nightly bomber streams to disrupt operations. I have just finished a book which alludes to the practice but nothing more than a passing observation.

BTW I have done the "google bit" and whilst there are pictures by the dozen no real hard fact as to the use of captured aircraft.

Clive

rotorfossil
14th Sep 2011, 17:11
Not necessarily about infiltration but the use of captured aircraft is in a book called "'KG 200, The True Story" by P. W. Stahl.
Another book about flying captured allied aircraft is "Luftwaffe Test Pilot' by Hans-Werner Lerche.

flying elephant
16th Sep 2011, 23:26
Have just finished reading a book called'Men Of Air' by Kevin Wilson about the doomed youth of Bomber Command in WW2 and it mentions the suspicions of aircrew at that time and also seeing aircraft that they believe were captured RAF aircraft.

Icare9
26th Sep 2011, 21:45
Surely flying in the bomber stream would have exposed the "enemy" aircraft to attack by their own night fighters, flak, bombs from other aircraft, collision etc etc? Obviously given the numbers of bombers that were lost, a few may have been relatively undamaged and capable of being repaired using serviceable bits cannibalised from other wrecks, but the risks would appear to outweigh any apparent "gains".

The "intruder" wouldn't have much speed advantage over others in the stream unless it were to fall back through the stream. It might be possible for a couple of pilots to get one into a bomber stream to see what they might achieve, but to also man the turrets might have been more difficult.

I have no way of knowing, certainly "rumours" were of bombers being fired at by others in the stream, but that may simply have been either trigger happy gunners or simply being in the line of fire being sprayed around by a corkscrewing aircraft.

There doesn't seem to be any provable evidence of captured aircraft being used in the way you describe, but always willing to see what comes along!

ICT_SLB
27th Sep 2011, 03:34
I remember a talk given to our local RAeS Christchurch branch by a RDAF officer, Col. deJong, back in the 70s. They had found a lot of WWII aircraft when they drained the Isselmeer (sp?) in Holland including, IIRC, a Mosquito with a Luftwaffe crew.

Jhieminga
27th Sep 2011, 07:23
It's spelled IJsselmeer. There are some photos on this page (Aeropedia / Het IJsselmeer (http://www.aeropedia.be/web/content.php?article.1001259)) of various wrecks, on one of which a Col. De Jong is visible, the same one who gave the talk perhaps? The caption states that he supervised the recovery operations.

I cannot find any info on a German crewed Mosquito in a quick Google search. You'd think that as the recoveries were quite a while ago, that info would be available by now. Of course I may not be looking in the right places.

Atcham Tower
27th Sep 2011, 07:51
The info about the Mosquito was well known in the 1960s. I too went to a lecture by Col De Jong (Sp?). This was in Cambridge in 1968. As I recall, the Mossie had German ammunition on board.

skwinty
27th Sep 2011, 08:01
Here is a link to a website covering captured allied aircraft.

Luftwaffe Resource Center - A Warbirds Resource Group Site - Postwar Luftwaffe Aircraft (http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/LRG/foreign.html)

Germany - Captured Allied Aircraft (http://rareaircraf1.greyfalcon.us/Captured%20Allied%20Aircraft.htm)

This book mentions a captured Mosquito.

Foreign Planes in the service of the Luftwaffe - Full listing of RAF & USAAF unit codes (http://www.controltowers.co.uk/Books/Foreign_Planes_in_the_Luftwaffe,_Pen_&_Sword_books.htm)

blue up
1st Oct 2011, 16:50
At least one Stirling made flyable after capture but it was later written off in a landing accident. One Lanc was resurected and transported to Reislin (sp?) but I don't know if it flew. Several marks of Spit, mostly PR's, several Hurricanes, Blenheim, a Wellington and a few other airframes.
I'd guess that the captured heavies were more useful for German fighter training than as decoys for bomber streams.

Strange. I binned the old paperwork I had on this subject only this week.

pasir
2nd Oct 2011, 18:48
Not concerning RAF but googling 'Military Photo Net' brings up several
ancedotes including details of an Italian air force 'turned' P38 responsible
for acting friendly towards allied wounded fortress's that resulted in
disaster for any fortress - Eventually 'sussed' by one USAAF
Capt Fisher flying an experimental YB-40 with extra chin turret guns
who searched out challenged and shot down the Italian piloted P38.

Jorge46
3rd Oct 2011, 14:19
Some old film of US captured Axis aircraft. Not quite what the OP asked but somewhat on topic!

1945 FREEMAN FIELD AIRSHOW with Captured 'AXIS' aircraft

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1723870789084