PDA

View Full Version : G1000 - ADF Dip???

wangus
13th Sep 2011, 07:42
Passed IR 3+ years ago on Duchess, renewed on Duchess. This year going to burn some money and renew in DA-42 equipped with G1000s. (UK) Two questions:
1) When performing an NDB /ADF hold, I PRESUME (incorrectly?) that the ADF suffers ADP Dip the same way, and for the same reasons, as it does in the Duchess, Arrow, etc. Is this correct?
2) Does anyone have an DA-42 checklist link they could forward me? Need to get armchair flying.
Many thanks,
JD

Angels 99
13th Sep 2011, 10:01
You're quite right, the needle will dip just as you're used to. Haven't got an e-copy of the checklist I used, the link below is to the 'official' Diamond one.

http://www.diamond-air.at/fileadmin/uploads/files/TRTO/DA42%20Checklisten/DA42/DA42_TwinStar_Checklist_Edit15_1_A5.pdf

Piltdown Man
13th Sep 2011, 10:05
I've flown with glass screen for the several years and I'm afraid that every system I've flown with suffers from dip - that is if you select the actual NDB. However, if you set up the NDB as a waypoint and a 'needle' to point to it you can eliminate dip but that would probably be too easy for an IR test.

PM

OberfuhrerPPRun
13th Sep 2011, 10:44
Get yourself the mindstar and Eaglesoft DA42 add on, best investment ever for IR with G1000 - but you need both to be able to use it proper;

Mindstar Aviation (http://www.mindstarprods.com/aviation/)

and

Diamond Twin Star (http://www.eaglesoftdg.com/DiamondDA42.htm)

Eaglesoft DA42 first + the G1000 add on, the Eaglesoft is not fully functional. Mindstar offer great support to set it up for you if problems.

wangus
13th Sep 2011, 16:33
Thanks guys. I was thinking about using NDB as a waypoint as you say, but yeah, doubt examiner would go for it!!! Cool. The g1000 simulator I have obviously doesn't simulate dip then. As a follow up, flying holds in February 2008 the needle used to bounce back and forth 40 degrees. I presume the G1000 does that as well? Something to look forward to.
Thanks again,
J.D.

Piltdown Man
13th Sep 2011, 22:04
...flying holds in February 2008 the needle used to bounce back and forth 40 degrees.

No, that sounds like you fly a hold like I do!

PM

B2N2
15th Sep 2011, 21:01
In the USA it is legal to substitute an IFR approved (and installed) GPS for ADF/NDB.
So flying a NDB hold using GPS course guidance would be legal.
In Europa-land? I doubt it.

Anonystude
16th Sep 2011, 07:08
Not only that, but on the UK IR exams the Examiner is within their rights (and I believe most do) to remove the GPS moving map and flight plan information from both screens of the G1000 to make you fly by reference to the ADF alone. So no GPS waypoints, track information or any of that helpful gen...

Most do it by switching the MFD to a non-useful page (like 'traffic') and deleting the flight plan on the way to the hold, I believe.

rbhojwani
19th Sep 2011, 13:13
Whether is dips 40º or so depends on a combination of factors concerning the NDB station itself. G1000 doesn't intrinsically have a high degree of sensitivity, but instead it's the ADF antenna. From personal experience... the C172SP's with G1000 have a very decent antenna on the bottom of the cabin and the G1000 dip is not 'that' much as in a conventional ADF equipped aircraft. (It also makes a difference whether you are tuning the NDB with a independent ADF receiver, or with the inbuilt G1000 one, on the same G1000 equipped aircraft).

rbhojwani
19th Sep 2011, 13:17
It's a good idea to do the following:

Track your NDB with the BRG1 of the RMI needle in the G1000, and simultaneously select the GPS1 NAV source in which you will put in the NDB station as a GPS waypoint. That way, in straight and level flight, both needles will overlap and point equally towards the station, and in turns you will suffer from DIP in the BRG1 pointer, but you will always have a real and constant indication of the station with the GPS pointer.

If the CFI asks, then just say you are tracking with the BRG1 and you are using the GPS to improve situational awareness during turns.