PDA

View Full Version : Trivia - European city has airport in different country

PhilD
8th Jan 2002, 19:13
For reasons that are too trivial to explain I need to know the answer to 'which European city airport is in a different country to the city it serves'. My immediate reaction is Basel, as the airport is in France, but it now goes by the snappy title of "EuroAirport Basel Mulhouse Freiburg", so you could argue it's not the right answer. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Boss Raptor
8th Jan 2002, 19:24
I understood the border actually splits the airport in two - literally...

or Seo De Urgel in Spain which is the airport for Andorra?

[ 08 January 2002: Message edited by: Boss Raptor ]</p>

singaporegirl
8th Jan 2002, 20:09
Isn't Geneva split into a French side and a Swiss side?

JJflyer
8th Jan 2002, 20:32
How about Maastrich-Aachen ???

bluskis
8th Jan 2002, 22:42
Aerad puts Basel in France, and its locator is LFSB not LSSB. Geneva is in Switzerland with an exit into France. (I Think) car rental is cheaper on the French side, if you can be bothered to cross the border.

paulo
9th Jan 2002, 17:17
Geneva has both a French and Swiss side, and yup the car hire is quite a bit cheaper in France.

I've done the trip loads of times and still can't quite describe the bizarre combination of things you have to do to get to France on arrival.

The one thing I do remember is that you end up going through the same part of the airport twice, which really messes with your head ("Err, weren't we here 20 minutes ago before we had our bags? Aren't we doing this step again?")

Returning a car to the French side is even more surreal. I would say only about 1 in 10 people on the street when you ask, right by the airport, can tell you how to get to the French side. It's an indescribable series of things like 'take that slip road on to the autoroute, but don't actually go on to the autoroute, come straight off again...' and so it goes on.

You end up going under the runway, through customs into France, and then literally 5 yards after that, taking a weird access road (looks like it's for service vehicles only) going in the opposite way you've just come ("eh, if I've only just gone across the border, and I'm now doing a 180, surely I'm back in Switzerland?").

You drive down this road, slowly figuring out that it is a tiny strip of France [the fences either side of you are borders], extending into a sea of Switzerland, where you finally end up at a kind of French 'island' in the airport where you can drop your car off.

Suffice to say some people miss their flights working all this out. Some might say the stress levels make the 30% premium of renting swiss side worth it.

Some more cynical might say that this is intentional. :-)

romeowiz
9th Jan 2002, 17:28
@ PhilD : you´re right. The answer is Basel. It is a swiss town with a french Airport: Mulhouse LFSB.
It is called Basel Mulhouse FREIBURG because that is where the train-station is: in Freiburg, Germany. LFSB serves as a trinational airport. It is really trinational!
Regards

Vector

Mooney
9th Jan 2002, 20:20
Every airport Ryanair flies into.....

glider insider
9th Jan 2002, 20:50
with FR you can book a flight to a Copenhagen, but your 737 will land in Sweden and then you get the bus to denmark......

actually, i just checked their web site and there is no mention of Copenhagen , which there definately used to be... so have they had their wrists slapped by somenone for the accuracy of there destination names.&gt;&gt;??

carlos vandango
11th Jan 2002, 13:55
is that copenhagen(Hahn) or Copenhagen(Beauvais)? Sorry, couldn't resist it!

DVR6K
12th Jan 2002, 01:10
I think it´s Copenhagen (Changi)...