PDA

View Full Version : In a corner conundrum, what to do?

TheMist
11th Sep 2011, 03:28
I am in a conundrum that I cannot find a way to get around.
I am stuck with thinking on this and worrying myself stupid to a solution, so I thought I would throw it open to pprune to see if anyone can come up with a resolution. A problem shared is a problem halved so to speak!

Through misfortune of job roles that have not eventuated and getting prequalified for them or in one case cut short with being made redundant I have ended up painting myself into a corner with being too under experienced in Multi PiC time to move forward properly and over experienced to go backwards to GA with having large turboprop and jet qualifications. -In the view of things that is, not saying I consider myself over experienced!
I would quite happily take a multi piston job to get the PiC, problem is from the view of an employer they are going to see my background and think I will not hang around for long, I've even offered to sign a contract for 1yr with no luck.
2500hrs, 800 multi, 500 Turboprop time. 320 Multi PiC with mostly ICUS. Living in Australia.
I thought Instructing on say a B200 would fit the bill at a Flight School, but I am viewed no differently for that either.

Anyone got an idea on how to make progress again?

Please this is serious and am not looking for the p*** take jokes that abound on here.

Aerodynamisist
11th Sep 2011, 08:05
I would suggest you market your self to the larger players in GA. companies like Hinterland in Cairns or Corporate air in Canberra (who recently advertised for people with approximately your experience). or alternatively you have the hours to look at a chief pilot / senior role with a smaller operator.

I did have a smart comment all set to go, then I read the last line of your post. How dare you rob me of the opportunity to hurt your feelings anonymously.

The Green Goblin
11th Sep 2011, 08:47
Dumb down your resume for the job you are applying for.

I.e leave off the specifics of what the time is.

Simple

Horatio Leafblower
11th Sep 2011, 08:50
Dumb down your resume for the job you are applying for.

...so the response will be "nah sorry mate we're looking for someone with more [xyz]."

"Oh well actually, I have 500 of those, I just didn't put it on my resume"

"...yeah right!" the employer will respond, and into the round file you go, again :suspect:

:ugh:

bigbrother
11th Sep 2011, 10:28
I see this problem you have as becoming more prevelant, sadly. Sorry to hear of your dilema but until CASA change the requirements for 500 PIC multi it's a tough gig. The likes of the REX cadets will similarly screw many young aspirants. Good luck. At least the market is moving at the moment so you hsould have a better than even chance of movingon

Centaurus
11th Sep 2011, 12:29
Rumour has it that Brindabella has lost several captains in the past couple of weeks. Might be worth giving that company a ring?

eocvictim
11th Sep 2011, 15:07
GAM would take you on that. Have you tried bottom rung charter? You haven't made it clear how much command you have.

From what you've said it appears you did 1300-1500hours instructing, got into a charter mob (did 200hours single?) then a few hundred multi and the company decided they'd grab you by the balls and put you onto a multi crew turbine? Or its all META command then into a turbine right seat?

Look at places that need turbo prop captains, who's younger guys are not ready. Few months in the right on a B200 then into the left? I can't see that your hours would be that big of a hinderance. You shouldn't have an issue getting on a piston twin in a capital city.

WhoWasPhone
12th Sep 2011, 09:56
Goblin's got the right idea!

Understating your experience is way more forgivable than overstating your experience.

You could have the excuse of "Sorry i must have given you the wrong resume, I thought it was the up to date one"

Which is pretty plausible due to the fact that most will have many resume's over their career.

neville_nobody
12th Sep 2011, 10:07
I agree just tell them what they need to know on the resume. If they go through your logbook and start asking questions well that's just the way it goes.

I have known of graduates in accounting and finance doing exactly the same thing to employers. They would would advertise for bookkeeping/mundane jobs with the kicker on the ad 'do not apply if you are a graduate' so what happens? All the graduates just apply anyway forgetting to mention that they have just spent four years at uni then when a job comes up for a 'graduate position' they can tell the new employer that they have 6 months experience in the industry plus a degree.

Just play the game.

TheMist
12th Sep 2011, 12:06
Thanks for the suggestions guys.
I have taken off the jet ratings nearly all the time, in some instances the heavy turboprop but as has been pointed out I'm then wiping off a fair bit of hours with that one.
Its more the 'higher' ratings combined with very low Multi PiC thats the issue, a but like being in coffins corner.
GAM and Hinterland I've been to see in person, no dice.
I can't be Capt of anything RPT below a jet with less than 500Multi PiC as far as I know. I do have META, but haven't had it long.
Sounds like I just need to keep pushing a bit more at few key outfits until something breaks, hopefully not me first.

maverick22
12th Sep 2011, 13:02
I can't be Capt of anything RPT below a jet with less than 500Multi PiC as far as I know

Qlink? They operate under a high capacity AOC, so 500 Multi PIC is not a requirement for command, just the company minimums.

TheMist
12th Sep 2011, 22:20
When loading a CV into the bfound website application system, it is then seen by all the other airlines using the same system. i.e changing of qualifications etc then impacts your other applications! -Its not a 1 CV per airline database...I've checked with the bfound people for just that reason!
So if I make an adjustment for Qlink, I'm now underqualified for Cobham, Virgin etc

Old Akro
12th Sep 2011, 23:29
I've never applied for a flying job. Flying places more focus on numbers than other job selections, but if your situation was transferred to the commercial world, this is what I would say. 1. With your experience, you must have done some good things that others haven't. Highlight them. But, highlight the transferable skills that you gained from the experience. Some of them may not directly relate to flying. 2. Formally sit down and think about the key questions you will be asked, figure out responses, write them down, rehearse them. There must be a positive reason why you took the job choices that led you here - sell them. 3. Remember that a CV is a selling document - not a catalogue. Why would you hire yourself against the perfectly groomed candidate? Make sure it paints a picture of why you would be a good employee. The best technician can be a mediocre employee and vice versa. 4. If you have a handicap (ie not enough multi time), then you will have to work harder than your competitors to sell yourself. This might be networking to meet chief pilots, it might be turning up in person, it might be mailing paper copies, it might be lots of things. 5. In this age, make sure your facebook / Linked-in pages etc are up to date and portraying the correct image. Lose the photo's of drinking trips to Bali, add pictures of flying destinations, etc. 6. Stay active. Fly a sim or whatever, mix with aviation people at clubs, etc. Hang around airports, whatever. The process is serendipitous. You never know where you might meet someone who helps. Keep working the odds.

neville_nobody
13th Sep 2011, 01:01
There must be a positive reason why you took the job choices that led you here - sell them.

Unfortunately in Australian GA and - I have experienced this first hand -, that often works against you, as you are perceived as a threat/or liability as you will just leave for an airline as you already have what they want........ie endorsement/experience etc.

When loading a CV into the bfound website application system, it is then seen by all the other airlines using the same system. i.e changing of qualifications etc then impacts your other applications! -Its not a 1 CV per airline database...I've checked with the bfound people for just that reason!
So if I make an adjustment for Qlink, I'm now underqualified for Cobham, Virgin etc

Just run two separate accounts from different email addresses. Have a jet account and a turboprop account. That way you can go to the interview and tell whoever that you've been applying to them for 5 years and you've always wanted to work for xyz airline.

TheMist
13th Sep 2011, 05:25
you are perceived as a threat/or liability as you will just leave for an airline as you already have what they want........ie endorsement/experience etc.

Yes!

Thanks guys for the help and ideas, its got me motivated to crack the whip and try some more

mattyj
13th Sep 2011, 06:32
Join the club :rolleyes:

TheMist
20th Oct 2011, 07:08
2500hrs total time and a year and a half on a 20ton turboprop, and I've been deemed non-competitive at the online application stage for Qantaslink!