PDA

View Full Version : To renew or not to renew

kjw57
10th Sep 2011, 14:00
Looking for some feed back on renewing my IR, expired 06 no night no ATPL. I'm a VFR driver with lots of time on a variety of types including twins.

At 54yrs young I wonder what will the opportunities in the IR world look like with my limited shelf life?

Opinions, Advice, Flames...

Cheers,
Ken

Brilliant Stuff
10th Sep 2011, 22:02
The world is going and the way the rules are going etc. I would vote for getting the IR renewed.

topendtorque
10th Sep 2011, 22:19
whatever super you had, well your guvm't has probably spent it.

you might need to stay in employ for a good while. I say go with it, it'll be much better that sitting at home worrying about your slippers and mooding over the daily mail.

tomorrow is supposed to be D Day for our guvm't, will it go for an election or not?

truthinbeer
11th Sep 2011, 00:18
kjw, I feel it is akin to booking an air ticket for travel o/s and then realising you have little time available to renew your expired passport. Best to stay current, you never know what opportunity may arise or need you may have tomorrow.

OvertHawk
11th Sep 2011, 11:41
Not sure what the Canadian rules are but the thing i would consider in Europe is - What if i need to work past age 60? That means going two crew and most two-crew jobs are in IFR operations (certainly in Europe)

Having said that - maybe you do aerial work where there is perhaps no age 60 limit?

Just a thought - good luck whatever!
OH

heliski22
11th Sep 2011, 15:27
Isn't your "shelf-life" in Canada determined by medical without an age limit? Or did I misunderstand when a man told me that? If it is the case, then surely your shelf life is potentially still quite useful, assuming, of course, that "left coast Canada" can be taken to mean within the Canadian regulatory environment?

In any case, renew and be done is my thruppence-worth! You'll be better off looking at it than looking for it!!

:ok:

kjw57
12th Sep 2011, 14:11
Thankyou for all your replies. Definitely more options globally with then without. Domestically (Canada) I can fly until I've lost my medical.

Cheers,
Ken