PDA

View Full Version : Job opportunities for nonresident in Australia

tuaapache
10th Sep 2011, 03:15
Hi,
I got my PPL a few months ago and working for CPL and MEIR. I am just wondering where would be a good place to look for GA jobs that recruit low hours pilot. What are my options since I am not a resident here? Could I get a job as a parachuting pilot or tug glider?
Thank you

ReverseFlight
10th Sep 2011, 04:00
I recently responded to a similar question by another Thai national in this forum.

Unfortunately foreign pilots are unlike to find GA jobs in Oz except at certain flight schools as an instructor. Maybe think about investing in a FI rating if you haven't got one already.

WannaBeBiggles
10th Sep 2011, 05:11
Unless you have the right to live and work in Australia you can pretty much forget finding a job. It would be extremely lucky if you get someone to sponsor you as an instructor, forget sponsorship as a charter pilot let alone jump or tug pilot.

tuaapache
5th Feb 2012, 11:27
What about Volunteer jobs, Search and Rescue, or parachuting pilot?

RENURPP
5th Feb 2012, 20:24
Search and rescue are generally paid positions using twi turbine, multi crew aircraft.

Parachuting? If your not paid, it may not breach your visa requirements.

Anthill
5th Feb 2012, 22:17
Tug pilots are not paid 'jobs' in Australia. Club members who hold PPLs are put on a roster and fly the Tug as requested by the club. An expectation is that that they are active glider pilots too. Tug flying does not exist for young pilots to come and 'knock up some hours'.

truthinbeer
6th Feb 2012, 00:45
What about Volunteer jobs, Search and Rescue, or parachuting pilot?
Passenger: "I think I just saw our pilot fly past the window."

tuaapache
6th Feb 2012, 05:10
Would it be possible for any companies to sponsor me or offer me the working visa?

frigatebird
6th Feb 2012, 05:26
Australian companies don't even sponsor or train/upgrade Australian Commercial pilots unless the pilot pays for it, but some bast... ones may just find it humorous to take you on, and do it for you, to spite the locals....

tail wheel
6th Feb 2012, 05:35
tuaapache.

"Would it be possible for any companies to sponsor me or offer me the working visa?"

No. DIAC would never approve a Nomination for a GA pilot.

Without going into all the details and numerous impediments, current Migration Regulations and Government Policy would make it impossible for you to live and work in Australia as a pilot with a basic CPL.

You can not "work for free" - you would be subject to wage payment of the DIAC TSMIT of $49,330. You also can not work in Australia as a volunteer pilot.

tuaapache
6th Feb 2012, 06:32
A friend of a friend of mine got a job in ga and he is not a resident. He got paid by cash and he was not on a payroll. Nor really sure how he got a job though. Another guy got a job as parachuting pilot ten fifteen years ago now he is flying for Thai airways.

truthinbeer
6th Feb 2012, 06:53
You could try REX.

baron_beeza
6th Feb 2012, 07:21
The guys here have been very restrained with their replies to date.

You have a PPL, no right of residence or work permit and yet you seem to think you may score a flying job.
I am guessing you have been doing your training at a school within Australia. If they have indicated to you that employment is possible on completion of your training then I think you should be challenging them.

You may have noticed many of the threads here are asking about job possibilities, - the likes of the Kununurra ones for example.

These guys are well ahead of you in the scheme of things, they are Aussie, have the qualifications and often the experience, and yet they are having to relocate just to get a sniff of that first flying job.

I think open discussion of working for free, or for cash, is not going to help.

You may need to look at locations where you can turn your strengths to your advantage. Maybe you are bilingual or have other qualifications that may help.

Times change so what may have been the case in years gone by may not be the situation now.

I personally know two pilots that had been offered jobs before they even gained their CPL's. One was with one of the major airlines within this region.

I am sure that would not be happening these days.

You have an uphill battle, more so than most probably. Could you do the remainder of your training with an organisation that can help out at the end.

tuaapache
6th Feb 2012, 08:30
Sorry I didn't update my info. I am actually a cpl holder, I got my cpl two months ago. I am planning to do my mecir at Johnston aviation. I think Rex is only for residents. What about in new Zealand, I would guess the same applies overthrew, residents only right? I applied for Cathay almost two years ago and never got an opportunity for an interview.

training wheels
6th Feb 2012, 09:05
What's wrong with working in Thailand? I recall there are just as many airlines there, if not more.... Bangkok Airways, Nok Air, PB Air, Orient Thai, Thai Air Asia. Have you tried knocking on their doors? I know a number of Aussie pilots who would love the opportunity to work in the land of (vertical) smiles. :)

tuaapache
6th Feb 2012, 09:17
There is no ga here in Thailand and I just want to get some flying experiences before I apply, plus it would look better on my resume than those fresh mint cpl. There are only Thai airways, Bangkok airways, and Thai airways that recruit pilots, as for the rest you would need to know someone in the airline.

BPA
6th Feb 2012, 09:21
Have you tried PNG?

tail wheel
6th Feb 2012, 18:24
I think PNG requires minimum 1,000 hours for command but a fresh CPL may score a Twin Otter or Bandeirante FO position?

tuaapache
6th Feb 2012, 20:49
I doubt it.

Ejector
6th Feb 2012, 21:58
Could I get a job as a parachuting pilot or tug glider?

Well, those operations are done on PVT are they not, so not working.

lilflyboy262...2
7th Feb 2012, 03:16
There's bugger all GA in New Zealand.

Your friend that was working in Cash was working illegally.

tuaapache
7th Feb 2012, 03:57
you meant there is not jobs in GA in New Zealand?

JMEN
7th Feb 2012, 04:06
Try searching he thread on SusinAir.

training wheels
7th Feb 2012, 08:17
Here's a GA operator in Thailand. The Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives (MoAC) of Thailand. (http://www.aviationnews.eu/2011/05/11/thailand-takes-delivery-of-airbus-military-c212-400/) I recall seeing their aircraft in Chiang Mai doing cloud seeding work. Get type rated on this and you can at least say you've flown an Airbus on your CV. ;)

tuaapache
7th Feb 2012, 08:46
I used to fly the cirrus(SR20). It is quite similar to the airbus as well(glass cockpit, sidestick controls) :O

jkeg
7th Feb 2012, 09:35
you meant there is not jobs in GA in New Zealand?

There are jobs in NZ but you will have to join the que behind the other hundred kiwi guys all in the same boat.

As mentioned before you will struggle to get a job in Auz or NZ with a basic CPL and no other toys. Even with a MECIR you would need over 500hrs to be even consided.

I would suggest to take the advice of baron_beeza or of a previous post and get an Instructor rating there are always jobs going for that area of work.

GA flying is a very hard nut to crack and taking the advice of others who have been down that road can save you alot of time and money.

Jkeg

baron_beeza
7th Feb 2012, 10:54
Could I get a job as a parachuting pilot or tug glider?

Well, those operations are done on PVT are they not, so not working.

Yes that may be the case in the eyes of the aviation community but you still have to be careful of Immigration etc. You will have to have some kind of status to remain within the country.

It could be a little like a taxi driver and courier. One requires a professional licence but they would still both be classed as working.
Even a courier driver acting voluntarily would come under scrutiny.

Cleared for take-off
27th Feb 2012, 14:16
Have you tried PNG?

Will operators in PNG take people with CASA licenses (non Australian resident?)
I would guess PNG like all other places, a visit in person would be nice?

belliott
20th Mar 2012, 02:38
Are things with REX really as bad as people on here are making them out to be? Why are people leaving in droves? As an American some of your down under lingo is quite foreign to me. Is it an issue of pay, schedule, general treatment, or maintenance?
I know they are looking for expat pilots and wanted to find out what the reality of the situation was. Any info you could send my way via PM would be appreciated.

Anthill
20th Mar 2012, 23:16
I don't work for REX and have no desire to do so. Peruse these forus and you should be able to gauge the issues at REX for yourself.

I would remind anyone coming to Australia on a 457 visa to get sound taxation advise. You may be liable for income tax derived from off-shore sources (ie: if you rent out your home in your country of origin).

Health care will be another issue. 457 Visa holders recieve no access to Medicare and must pay full fees for treatment at either public or private hospitals (one lady I know paid $5500 for her child s broken arm and another guy $11,000 after being knocked off his push-bike and spending 2 days in a public hospital). Private health insurance is expensive. Negotiate with your employer to ensure that you have coverage (BUPA Gold, or equivalent).

mudpig
21st Mar 2012, 04:04
Volunteer? You mean work for nothing right?

F@#k off don't come here!!!!
We don't need more people willing to make things worse for already underpaid
pilots in this county. If your prepared to work for nothing go to the Phillipines.

tuaapache
21st Mar 2012, 06:33
First, you need to calm the fruit down.
Second, It was just a question.
And third, if you do not like my question, you can take your opinion and shove it up your A..........S...........S
Peace.

lilflyboy262...2
21st Mar 2012, 22:11
tuaapache.

The above comment was a very fair one. GA pilots are underpaid, and overworked. They are working their butts off just to make ends meet, let alone pay back whatever is owed for them getting their licence.
Why would a boss pay more for pilots if he can get them for free? You wouldn't care as you are only here to get your hours up before leaving again. The guys that do it for a career are the ones that get shafted.
I can promise you, that you would be the first to complain when you finally make it up the pointy end of some heavy metal, and you are paid less than what you think you are worth.
Do you know why a lot of heavy metal drivers are only getting paid peanuts? Its because people like yourself have offered their services at next to nothing, just to get the job to move up to the next heavy gig.
The bean counters go, "Hey, we have one pilot here who is only getting paid this much, while this guy is getting paid so much more!!! We don't need to pay people this much, we can save money here and make the company more money! From now on, we will pay all new hires, this much!"

You are meant to be a professional pilot. Professionals get paid.

And on a side note, you will get this level of animosity from any pilot who finds you are flying for free. Do you really want to work in a company where everyone hates you? Would you really want to sit next to a captain who has no respect for you at all?

Kopy
21st Mar 2012, 23:10
What visa do you have? It sounds like you're studying (previously for a CPL and now for a MECIR) so you should have a student visa. This allows you to work 20 hours a week while your course is in session and unlimited hours when it is not. In this case you may be able to find a job on the weekends, especially if you had an instructor rating.