PDA

View Full Version : Will a scar affect my class 1 exam?

linzian
10th Sep 2011, 03:00
I'm about to take my class 1 medical exam in a few weeks and the only thing that concerns me is the 2 cm surgery scar alittle above my belly. This scar was nothing serious, I got it due to not being careful when I was young and bumped into something sharp so I had to get stiches. My question is will this disqualify me from getting my medical 1 exam ?

DX Wombat
10th Sep 2011, 10:07
I have no idea about Canada's regulations, but if it was only a skin wound and shows no sign of herniation I should be very surprised if it proved to be a problem.

Mac the Knife
10th Sep 2011, 10:29
No, but asking questions like that one might....

:ok:

linzian
10th Sep 2011, 20:58
its actually not a skin wound. I was bumped into something sharp and had 5-8stiches. Is this still fine?

Frankie B
10th Sep 2011, 21:13
Sounds like you had an encounter with a knife in your youth that now embarasses you. You must be very young if you have only one scar to worry about. Move on, & best of luck!

linzian
10th Sep 2011, 22:14
maybe, is it going to disqualify me from the medical exam?:confused:

corsair
10th Sep 2011, 22:30
I had my appendix out when I was 22. The scar is rather impressive back then and remains now. Not least because the notion of keyhole surgery was very much in the future. I have used to enhance my tough guy credentials with certain females.:ok:

So the answer is no. Unless you had heart surgery or something.

truthinbeer
11th Sep 2011, 00:11
I would be most surprised linzian, though it doesn't hurt to ask. The DAME (aviation doctor) may ask you about the history of the scar to rule out anything serious. I was aked about a scar across the inside of my wrist, the result of a dog-bite. The DAME may have thought this could reveal a depressive mental disorder. That would be something that could preclude passing the medical as we wouldn't want a pilot flying his plane into the Houses of Parliament for instance. Expect then you may be asked about the scar to exclude anything sinister, but a straight-forward answer will have the doc moving on with the exam.

Good luck.

Cloud Chaser
11th Sep 2011, 09:31
A scar in general, definitely will not prevent the issue of a medical.
Personally I have two scars from surgery, both a lot bigger than 2cm, and neither prevented a class one being issued.
If it is the location or type of scar that worries you, advice would be to try and get medical record from when you were treated and take that with you to the medical.
If the scar looks like you have had surgery the AME will want details.

OldChinaHand
11th Sep 2011, 17:50
It will be noticed, so be honest about it on the form. If you have med evidence bring it. If not I am sure the fact that you did not try to hide it, supply a reasonable explanation as to its occurance and no symptoms or abnormalities exist other than the scar, no probs. No one ever bothered with mine other than asked how they got there.

homonculus
13th Sep 2011, 18:37
Be honest about how you got the scar

We doctors have heard all the excuses before..........

Mimpe
21st Sep 2011, 12:29
no it wont cause problems unless you have extensive intra-abdominal adhesions with pain or obstruction.