PDA

View Full Version : EASA v FAA

nouseforaname
9th Sep 2011, 09:34
I know this has been discussed previously however I haven't seen anything confirming this: EASA railroads its N-reg attack through Parliament

Transpires that by 22 votes to 16 MEP's have got this one through by 2014 N. reg pilots and aircraft are out. Just have to see what they come up with in the interim as regards the so called creditation of FAA pilots.

For me personally i'm staring down the barrel of having to do an EASA-IR, re-register our aircraft to an EASA-reg. Get a turbine rating. All equating to a lot of time and money.!!

....but of course it'll all be much safer as a result. What a load of :mad:ite!

IO540
9th Sep 2011, 09:52
You are partially misinformed, even though this stuff has been all over the forums :)

N-reg airframes are not affected.

The EASA proposal is for all pilots to have EASA papers if the operator is (paraphrasing) EU resident. This proposal (not yet law but now looks closer to becoming one, in some form) has been postponed to April 2014.

Some notes here (http://www.peter2000.co.uk/aviation/jaa-ir/).

Except in exceptional circumstances I would never advise any N-reg aircraft owner to move his plane to G-reg.

Pace
9th Sep 2011, 11:37
I would back up what 10540 says but just add that dont expect anything till 2016 as my information confirmed in that report is that EASA are already accepting an extension to 2016.

Before I went to all the huge expenses of licence and airframe conversion I would wait and see how things pan out as you would feel pig sick if it was money that you need not have spent.

If you have the inclination and time to do the exams just incase then they shouldnt cost a lot.

We have to take EASA at face value in the fact that they state these extensions are to allow time for a FCL bilateral agreement. Such an agreement has already been signed with an option to add FCL so fingers crossed its not just a smokescreen for deceit.

A lot can happen between now and then not just with EASA but with the whole structure of Europe the way things are going at present.

http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/462474-exterminate-aviators-strangle-aviation-easa.html

'We now have to focus on the detail of the FCL annexe to the Bilateral
Agreement to make sure that EASA and the FAA reach sensible agreements
on what credits they will give to each other's training systems. It is
unlikely that the 2014 deadline will be achieved given the amount of
work that needs to be done, and the Commission has accepted that the
deadline may need to be extended

Pace

POBJOY
11th Sep 2011, 00:21
It amazes me of the arrogance of Europe that actually produces so little yet purports to tell organisations that are responsible for companies that actually make and operate not only the aircraft but most of the equipment and engines used in them.
All Europe does is to produce more and more paperwork to justify its existence,but as we know paperwork does not relate to safety or spanner time.
The people who make the rules have no knowledge of the operational value or their decisions nor care, as it is just a huge job creation excercise for the CRATS.
The FAA system encourages people to train and get qualified in a practical way and also sees itself as being part of that system.Europe has become a sick joke that supports bureaucracy over 'Hangar Time' and adds no value to the system. The FAA are like 'Snap on' they are at the coal face of the real world in aviation and operate a system that actually works.

IO540
11th Sep 2011, 05:45
Yes very well put :ok:

Europe is a bit like the Roman Empire in its final stages.

proudprivate
11th Sep 2011, 14:44
Europe has become a sick joke that supports bureaucracy over 'Hangar Time' and adds no value to the system. The FAA are like 'Snap on' they are at the coal face of the real world in aviation and operate a system that actually works.

Not everything in the FAA rule making process is hunky dory either, but POBJOY puts it very well.

New elements in the equation are

- A collective expensive job creation exercise in the face of treasury deficits and a European wide financial crisis (IO540, I guess the comparison to the 3rd-4th Century AD Roman empire would be the discrepancy between taxation needs, fiscal deficits and job creation in the military).

- Throwing the rulebook on legislative procedure out of the window : making a mockery of the comitology procedure; delay tactics in transmitting texts to congress (parliament); altering legislation during the process without a mandate; civil servants lying to parliament and citizens; an abundance of blatant personal conflicts of interest that make the Teapot Dome affair look like a trivial matter.

nouseforaname
11th Sep 2011, 16:26
I was partially misinformed correct. It's true anything could happen to EASA between now and 2016. Glad to hear we are safe for a while longer anyway.

IO540
11th Sep 2011, 21:43
My feeling, which is purely political and not based on aviation (the correct way to view EASA, IMHO) is that EASA has spent an awful lot of political capital on this GA rulemaking project, and it is going to be difficult to maintain the great momentum of highly controversial measures, followed by the extensive deceit and backhanded dealing required to force it through before too many people manage to see what is going on.

Of course I could be wrong because these gravy train riders have had about 5 decades to practice these methods, but the EU as a whole is not exactly an intact proposition. It is falling apart.