PDA

View Full Version : SBRJ Santos Dumont, Rio de Janeiro

deniasol
7th Sep 2011, 15:13
Question from an aviation enthusiast (and retired C172 pilot :-): is it safe to operate A320's and B737-800's on an airport which has only a 1329m (4363ft.) runway? I have seen some hair-raising approaches to runway 20 there, not to mention the takeoffs. And yet SBRJ is one of Brazil's busiest airports. If this airport was in Europe, wouldn't it be closed down for safety reasons?

jabird
26th Sep 2011, 01:17
deniasol,

I am a commentator not a pilot, but as I understand it, Gol have specially adapded B738s designed for short field performance - FR's 738s would not be able to use it.

The TAM incident at CGH brough Brazilian runway safety into question, but historically there have been plenty of incidents at SDU.

SDU is high on my 'to-do list' both as SLF and to observe from Sugar Loaf. In Europe, it wouldn't be closed down, but they might demand runway extensions or arrestor beds, or they might limit type (eg E195). I have seen them put in an extension at the western end of SXM, but the drama is still available on Maho Beach.

So I hope SDU can remain open for many years to come - and recent investments suggest that this will indeed be the case - although inbound from the UK will still need to be through GRU.

Topjet
26th Sep 2011, 09:39
Or GIG if you're talking about RIO :)

jabird
27th Sep 2011, 22:38
Topjet, no I meant GRU, because you need to fly there first in order to find an onward flight (possibly using CGH) to enjoy the SDU experience. Going direct to GIG would defeat that objective!