PDA

View Full Version : Research for Presentation - CAA Regulations Pertaining to SAR Operations

WannabeCrewman
6th Sep 2011, 19:30
Evening all,

Now, before I start, I am not here to start a bunfight, I am merely gathering pointers and information from professionals in the know on a reputable forum.

I am part of a group of military trainees preparing a presentation on UK SAR, and the recent SAR-H saga. A section of this presentation focusses on SAR Capability.

I've put a fair bit of time into researching this but have drawn a blank.

Given SAR-H would have been a civilian company (At the time, Soteria), would the CAA grant special regulation exemptions in light of their required role, or would SAR-H have to abide by the same rules as most other civilan RW frames?

As far as I understand it, the CAA regulations do not allow for flying in close proximity to terra firma, on goggles in IFR conditions, which one would summise is often the case with SAR Ops?

Is anyone able to point me in the right direction as to CAA Regulations pertaining to state a/c, namely MCA and Civilian SAR assets? I'd guess they'd come under the same bracket as Police ASUs and Air Ambulances?

Like I said, not looking to stir a bunfight, troll a forum or start arguments, just looking for some pointers.

Many thanks,
Matt.

TRC
6th Sep 2011, 21:08
This (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=4092) would be a start.

Sven Sixtoo
6th Sep 2011, 22:07
Hi

I retired recently from the RAF SAR Force.

As your Force's Operational Test Pilot I was quite involved in the recent processes.

Email or PM me for the view from just outside.

Iain Robertson

7th Sep 2011, 08:00
Wannabe - as you can see from CAP999 the CAA will authorise a whole heap of exemptions to the Air Navigation Order so that the operator can perform SAR duties without the hindrance of JAR, EASA etc - at least until the rescue has been completed. It is up to the operator to prove to the CAA that they have sufficiently robust training systems and SOPs to perform SAR appropriately.

WannabeCrewman
7th Sep 2011, 08:48
Great stuff, thanks very much to all who posted. Sven Sixtoo, you have PM.

Many thanks again,
Matt.