PDA

View Full Version : Tonsillectomy

Thomas coupling
6th Sep 2011, 14:52
Aaargh! I have put it off twice but now the day's looming. I hear for the more mature patient it is a much bigger deal than having them out as a teenager! Anyone care to dispel the "myth"....

DX Wombat
6th Sep 2011, 15:49
I've not had it done but have nursed children who have. The myth probably comes from the observation that children can apparently be at death's door one minute then racing around the next. The older we get the more developed is our fear of pain which in turn can make us tense and increased tension can increase our perception of the level of pain. Just tell yourself that there will be some soreness afterwards but that it will not be so bad that you will not be able to cope with it.
Get in a good stock of thick soup such as chicken, plenty of crusty bread to go with it and lots of jelly and ice cream to see you through the first couple of days. If you like porridge have it for breakfast as the thickness and warmth will make it easier to swallow. A goodly stash of fruit gums or other chewy sweets will help keep your throat muscles moving - this was what a GP friend used to recommend to his patients of all ages. If your hospital has a leaflet with recommendations for the post-op period read it and put the recommendations into practice. They will probably suggest that you do not use aspirin as an analgesic. Hope all goes well for you.

gingernut
6th Sep 2011, 20:46
Depends on the indication for the op.

If you've got tonsil cancer, then the op is probably justified.

If you're a five year old with a fussy mum, then it may be worthwhile adopting a "watchful waiting" strategy.

If you're somewhere in between, then it may be worth re-visiting your options with your GP brokering the deal:)

How old are you, and why are you scheduled for this procedure?

GANNET FAN
7th Sep 2011, 09:26
Yes it is a bit of a bigger deal for the older lot. I had mine out at 45 after years of sore throats and yes it was uncomfortable. But what was drummed into me by the doc was that I should take it easy for a while afterwards because the risk of haemorrhaging can be quite high. Apart from that, a few days off and back to work.

Jaymo
8th Sep 2011, 20:30
Had mine done at the age of 39.
Persistent sore throats etc so was advised to have them removed, not too bad an experience- just follow the Doc's advice. Was eating well the next day.
From a Flying point of view, the CAA said up to a month off.
Good luck

Loose rivets
8th Sep 2011, 22:17
Get the b#$%&s out. They are a gland that is worthless after a couple of nasty attacks, so liken them to festering meat in the throat.

Bit dramatic I know, but I had part of my teens ruined with the pain, and getting rid of them at 19 transformed my health.

homonculus
13th Sep 2011, 18:44
Sorry you are I am afraid correct

Most children are pain free the next day. Adults have pain for at least 3-4 days, and often have a second peak at c7-10 days.

Talk to your anaesthetist and ensure you hasve a decent analgesic regimen. There is no doubt that COLD is the best treatment - freezing cold drinks and icecream allowed to melt in the mouth work. You should also be shown jaw exercises as the masseter muscles are stretched by the gag and this helps the pain.

I would sugget you ask about staying in hospital overnight to get decent narcotics. I also routinely give narcotics to go home as part of an analgesic regime and there are some clever combinations

But remember one more bout of pain is far better than recurrent tonsillitis for years

skwinty
13th Sep 2011, 20:13
I had mine removed at 35.

When I awoke from the op I asked for jelly and ice cream.

The nurses laughed and told me I was not a child. They brought me whole wheat toast an scrambled egg.

There was no more pain after that.;)

Northern Highflyer
17th Sep 2011, 14:29
Had mine removed in my mid thirties. No jelly and ice cream, just some toast. Yes you can eat it ok, which surprised me. Home the next morning but I got an infection which caused a lot of pain and I struggled to swallow for a couple of days. Once I was on antibiotics everything was fine.

I was advised by the doc to eat 'rough' foods as it helps to keep the wounds clean which are left open after the op. You will be fine, best thing I ever did having them out.

Cyber Bob
17th Sep 2011, 18:04
My son had them out a year or so ago (13yrs). Dreading to TBH however he was having persistent sore throats. Took forever for him to be referred (Even though we had private medical Ins) as the mandate for GP's to refer is very restrictive. It seems that this is not classed as an essential op!!!

Anyway the day came and CB Junior was quite chilled. Reckon he'd had enough by then so just wanted them out. The op was fine, he had what seemed like two large white scrapes down his throat and the dangly bit was nearly touching his tounge!!. But within 4 hours he was eating a sandwich and the dangly bit reduced in size within a week. Reckon the doc was flicking it for amusement!

Doc's gave us meds, painkillers and anti inflamatory's but he really didn't seem to use that many. However, he was a right little blagger though. He clocked onto what the doc said, "Give him regular food but things he really likes to encourage him to eat". Cost me a friggin' fortune in steak, Shrimp and wotnot. He's paying for it right now I can tell you

His throat calmed down within a week and since then, all has been fine.

Go for it dude, seeing someone with what seems like a permanent sore throat and swollen tonsils isn't much fun. Suck it up (Pain I mean) and you'll not look back

As for CB Junior - he really hasn't looked back and the difference is amazing, although he ain't getting steak/surf + turf 3 times a week now, I can tell yer!

All the best
CB :ok:

Thomas coupling
20th Sep 2011, 09:49
update: doc took them out on Friday. He says bed for 5 days - no stressful movements which could cause throat to bleed. Biggest culprit for older folk is the blood supply to the little monsters is BIG! If they bleed a lot - it means going back under the knife!
So far - so good. Useful info:
Strict pain treatment regime. This dictates when you can eat and what you can eat. Plenty of chewing gum - keeps the throat muscles active and lubricates the throat.
Millions of gallons of H2O. This keeps everything moist reducing the chances of scabs causing bleeding.
GOD # I'm bored though!
[I'm 55 and they came out because of constant headaches/throat aches/ear aches/tonsiloliths.]
Thanks for your kind words too.

DX Wombat
20th Sep 2011, 12:12
Glad to hear all has gone well. :ok:

Genghis the Engineer
21st Sep 2011, 14:16
I can just about remember having mine out at 5.

Jelly and ice cream were of-course compulsory, my recollection is that the jelly was fine, but the ice cream left a trail of pain down my throat.

G

Loose rivets
21st Sep 2011, 21:30
I'm in a friend's flat in the town I grew up in, where I was recently reintroduced to a chap I worked with in the 50's. One of those flashbacks have hit me in this late night moment. This guy had his tonsils out on the kitchen table of a fine art deco house just up the cliff from here.

Funny thing, memory. Must ask him to make sure of my facts, but I recall a description of a wire mini-garotte. Oooo, my.:ooh:

DX Wombat
21st Sep 2011, 22:11
There used to be two commonly used methods of removing tonsils. One using a snare and the other by careful dissection. It may well be different today but as I have no recent experience in this field I can't be sure.

gingernut
21st Sep 2011, 22:21
Glad to hear that you're doing ok Tc.

Whilst modern surgery is probably as safe as it's ever been, it's worth remembering that, last time I heard, 1 or 2 kids a year do come to grief as a result of this op.

Weigh up the risks and benefits:)

Thomas coupling
22nd Sep 2011, 17:37
oh, thanks Gingernut! Happy larry!
I have done some research and approx 1:60 bleed. Of those, 20% need further cauterisation under GA. [These people lose litres of blood!].
1:25000 die! (But due to complications, ie: old/frail.

There are 6 techniques for removing the buggers. Ranging from cold knife and pressure on blood vessels (mine), which supposedly reduces bleeding afterwards. Through diathermy / stitches/lasers and all the way to: no GA at all!
My surgeon had a patient a week before me who had to have them out without any anaesthetic due to her being obese (145kg). Too big to put under apparently. She did well he said :ooh:
Lost 5kg so far and no number 2's for a week now on these drugs!!!!!!!!

gingernut
22nd Sep 2011, 19:33
sorry mate, it's why I made the post after your op:)

guess I was trying to say that it's not something to rush into. When I was a nipper, it seams everyone and their dog had their tonsills out. Good Health:ok:

Cyber Bob
23rd Sep 2011, 07:42
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D Well done TC

Rocket2
23rd Sep 2011, 12:15
Didn't say anything at the time but Mrs. R2 had her tonsils out a few years ago & it has completly bu**%ed up her taste buds, food just tastes different to what it should, some ok, some like sh&t (milk & red wine in particular). Apparently 1 in 3000 chance of this (seems high in my book), either way menus are now difficult. Anyone else suffered in this way?
R2

homonculus
23rd Sep 2011, 16:08
TC I think your surgeon is telling you porkies.......or sniffing my gases.........

Thomas coupling
23rd Sep 2011, 21:33
homonculus? Which bit is he lying about?

homonculus
24th Sep 2011, 21:36
Patients being unable to be anaesthetised at 145Kg.

Modest in some parts of the world.

Oh, and awake tonsillectomy in an adult

Happy for the surgeon to prove me wrong, but they are a bit like fishermen......