PDA

View Full Version : Transition from Feet to Meters

Controller to be!!!
26th May 2001, 00:31
Hello All,

I was wondering if any pilot on here can explain how a flight transfers from feet to meters enroute?

For example going into Russia, is there a area where all aircraft climb/descend into meters?

Thanks a lot

CTB!!! :)

Noddy Staltern
26th May 2001, 01:11
Transfer from feet to meters is treated the same as any other flight level change. Entering Russia, or some of the airspace around Russia, you are told to climb/descend to a new level. We carry a set of conversion tables giving the Metric flight levels and their Imperial equivalent. I don't have the tables to hand, but levels are reported as, for example, "Flight Level Ten thousand nine hundred meters". Relatively painless, but a bit verbose (and an independant check is required to verify the conversion figure).

Controller to be!!!
26th May 2001, 01:13
Thanks a lot

CTB!!! :)

Dan Winterland
26th May 2001, 01:35
747-400s and 777s have a button on the EFIS control panel. Press it, meters equivalents appear above the height readouts on the Primary Flying Displays.

Capt Claret
26th May 2001, 04:54
Of the multitude of aviation related questions that popped into my mind when I commenced flying some 20 years ago, the only one left unanswered is:

Why is aviation not standardised with regard to 'weights & measures'?

Altitude in feet & metres, VMC cloud separation in feet & metres, fuel brought and used in IMP gallons, U.S. gallons, litres, pounds & kilogrammes! :rolleyes:

------------------
bottums up !