PDA

View Full Version : IMC Confuser - help

Rumple
4th Sep 2011, 06:50
It's seems impossible at the moment to get hold of a new IMC Confuser due to some dispute with the publishers. Does anyone have the latest copy of the IMC Confuser and if so are you willing to either sell it or loan it for a few months?

Fitter2
4th Sep 2011, 09:17
Got this http://tinyurl.com/3to5bqh (http://tinyurl.com/3to5bqh) on line recently. Would that do?

IO540
4th Sep 2011, 11:41
Search of Ebay UK shows 2 hits. The 1st looks like a computer prog with the exam questions. The 2nd looks like the real book but at a steep price.

My recollection of the PPL Confuser and the IMC Confuser, both of which I had at the time, was that they were useful, especially the former. I have just done the JAA IR exams and did most of them purely using an online question bank and there is no doubt that that is a really effective way to pass the exams. The workload goes down by a factor of 10.

However this is good if you already know what you need to know. The exam material is mostly dross from the 1960s. But if you are new to flying, or (especially) new to instrument flight, then you need to find a systematic way to learn the real stuff. That won't come from exam study; you need to find a good ground instructor as well as a good flight instructor.

mrmum
4th Sep 2011, 12:48
Hi Rumple,
I've got a fourth edition still in it's wrapper, not sure if that was the latest or not, let me know if you want it. By "want" I mean purchase, not borrow though ;)

Spit161
4th Sep 2011, 16:49
My Confuser has got me through the PPL - only the check ride to go!
The Confusers are as rare as Hens teeth - I got the last one at my aero club a few years ago, they've had no more since!

cheers,
Jake.

I Love Flying
6th Sep 2011, 12:51
I managed to get one by saving it as a search on eBay and then eBay notified me whenever one came up. After 3 attempts I think, I finally became the successful bidder.:ok:

Contacttower
6th Sep 2011, 14:35
Do you know which edition is the latest? There is currently one for sale sitting in the display cabinet at my flying club but I'm not sure which edition it is...if you let me know which one you want I can have a look next time I'm in.

stevelup
6th Sep 2011, 16:58
Have a look for the 'The IMC Rating Question and Answer Simplifier' - it's written by Phil Mathews and Jeremy Pratt and published by AFE

imperialsam
7th Sep 2011, 17:05
Sorry to rub it in, but I bought a copy from AbeBooks.co.uk about a fortnight ago for the princely sum of £3.50.

Just checked again now, and it's rocketed to £89.99!

Perhaps worth keeping an eye on it in case it comes back down.

Rumple
11th Sep 2011, 06:51
Thanks for the link to The IMC Questions and Answers Simplifier - looks like it will be just as good.

Rumple
11th Sep 2011, 07:00
Hi, yes you're right - there's no substitute for the ground school part of the training. I found the same with my PPL too. However the PPL Confuser provided a good heads up on the type of questions that would come up in the exam. That's why I thought a copy of the IMC Confuser would be useful.