PDA

View Full Version : what % of CPL's "never" get a job?

basil fawlty
5th Jan 2002, 15:33
During conversation with a collegue the other day this question came up. He talked of a really sound bloke on his CPL course ten years ago who qualified and was a good pilot, but then never managed to secure an appointment with an airline or corporate operator. A massive investment of time, effort and money wasted.
So how many people "never" make it into the big time?? Would be an interesting statistic to know, but I'm sure the professional flying schools would rather that we didn't know!!

redsnail
5th Jan 2002, 18:10
Anecdotal evidence in Australia says that of all those pilots that get a CPL, only 10% of them will get a decent GA job. Of that 10%, only 10% will fly jets for a major airline.
Harsh it may sound but there may be some truth in them.

JB007
6th Jan 2002, 15:33
I'm sure these stats must be lodged in Aviation House somewhere...and i'm happy to say the Uk pilot market is somewhat better prospects long term than it is down under, although not at the moment...

The problem is anyone over here can get an ATPL, there is no course acceptance exams or testing to prove you are what airlines are looking for as a prospective employee...and sorry to say some guys just aren't airline material.

RVR800
7th Jan 2002, 20:54
The CAA know this but do not reveal the information.

They know the number of CPLs/ATPLs who have
multi-crew endorsements as a percentage of the
total figure.

They do not reveal this information on their site.

Is it because it could adversely affect their
FCL revenue stream.