PDA

View Full Version : Job prospects for a "young" pilot

GRIFO1978
3rd Sep 2011, 16:04
HI!
I have 400 hours about (50hr civil hours and 350hr military - 50hr R22, 100hr NH500, 200hr AB206, 50hr AB412), jaa cpl.Now only AB412 current. According for you:
1.what kind of job prospects can I have?
2.Where can I increase my experience?
3.Is it advisable attain IR qualification to increment my job oppurtunities?Thanks!

alouette
4th Sep 2011, 03:17
Off-hand I would say that you would start at the bottom of the "food chain" in the civilian world...with 400hours total time. Perhaps a flight instructor rating would help.

foxmead
5th Sep 2011, 15:47
I agree with Alouette, instructor rating would be the best route forward, although there are currently plenty of those looking for work.

I would put the IR on hold as its a lot of dough for something you need to keep current if there are no current prospects, put some cash into a 44 rating, with respect 400 hrs is not going to get you IR work.

Things will certainly pick up but instructor course would be the best route, and keep your options open to travel where the work is.

puntosaurus
5th Sep 2011, 19:10
Where is Camp Freddie when you need him ?

Digital flight deck
5th Sep 2011, 22:30
Instructor rating is definitely a good option. You say "young pilot" how young?

OvertHawk
6th Sep 2011, 08:20
If you did do an I/R then you'd probably be employable in the offshore industry as a Co-pilot - and there are some slots if you look for them and push hard. It has to be said that there is probably more work for offshore Co's worldwide than there is for instructors at the moment.

However, the comments about it being a lot of money and having to keep it current until you get a job are very valid.

I think it depends what you want to do. If you want to do some VFR / instructing etc then go that route. If you want to get into the I/R or offshore world then i would be tempted to get the I/R and push for that straight away (part of your research in choosing an I/R school should include what offshore Companies they are affiliated with and who might be hiring). Presumably you have done some I/F in the military - it would be helpful, perhaps, to get your I/R before you have gotten too out of practice.

Whatever you choose, it is going to be expensive and tough, so you might as well choose the path that is what you really want then go for it from the start.

It will be hard work - Good luck

OH

MartinCh
7th Sep 2011, 01:54
OvertHawk,

Name one country that's easy to get an offshore copilot job with basic CPL and IR, right now. Not talking about nationals of that country, nor about places that can be troublesome to get validation/conversion of licence.

Sure, some requirements I've seen, ask for 500TT, but if they ask for significant part of it offshore or twin time, then it's kinda Catch-22, isn't it?