PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 Medical (WA). Gouged? Not quite . . .

Virtually There
3rd Sep 2011, 05:30
So my Class 2 was up and having hit a certain age - as well as curious to know if I was fit enough to complete my CPL one day - I decided to do an initial Class 1 Medical here in Perth.

My usual DAME was in Kununurra, so I booked to see a female DAME through what I thought was the same medical centre (same phone number) that had moved from Como to South Perth.

I was informed the cost would be $335 for the physical and ECG. Not knowing any different, I agreed (the South Perth practice was near where I live). I asked what I needed to bring - if anything - and was told just myself.

Upon arrival, things didn't go too well . . . I was told I should have brought in my current medication and other documents - I would need to book another appointment. Obviously I wasn't too pleased with this.

Didn't like the DAME's attitude to a couple of other questions, so I terminated the visit then and there, went home and immediately booked to see another DAME at a medical centre in Como.

The receptionist was very helpful, and the exam went without a hitch. The Doc was great - nice guy - and actually knew a thing or two about flying (the previous DAME seemed to have no idea).

The total exam cost, including ECG etc, was $165. I'd just saved $170 - less than half price!

So the moral of the story is, ring around, find out how much your medical is going to cost, and if you're not satisfied with your DAME, don't sit there and take it - go somewhere else. I almost learned the hard way, but that was really my own fault. I just couldn't believe some DAMEs would charge more than double what others did for the same exam. Go figure.

Mimpe
7th Sep 2011, 12:48
Most DAMES are doing you a favour if they charge less than 250 dollars , as that their minimum hourly rate for non aviation work.

Most of them do it for the love of it. Costs to run a practice are at least 135-150 dollars per hour per doctor. There is a lot of unpaid time and work behind the scenes.

Seems you got on better with the second one anyway.