PDA

View Full Version : Big Airliners manouevring at high speeds

romeowiz
4th Jan 2002, 16:50
Hi drivers of the big and fast ones,

we have had a few days with high wind velocities at the end of 2001. May I ask what you think is the worst separation instruction a controller could issue when your ground speed is more than 600 knots? Our young ones are really in trouble with this. Thanx!

static
4th Jan 2002, 18:13
Hi Vector,

Ground speed is really not interesting at all where it comes to manouevring. The interesting ones to us are IAS and Mach number. They are the restricting factors.
I assume you are talking about aircraft at higher altitude, as you mention such high groundspeeds and put Rhein CTRL as your location.
At high altitudes and high TAS, the rate of turn will not be very high in any case, therefore, if you want to resolve a possible separation problem quickly, I think you better do it with climb / descend instructions. As does TCAS.

Hope this is what you were looking for.

Regards

romeowiz
7th Jan 2002, 12:17
Thank you STATIC !
I mentioned the ground speed because that is the problem to the controllers. We are running into trouble very quickly but solving the problem takes more time. I thought a climb would possibly be easier to perform than a descent.
Yes, I´m talking about high levels and acft flying through Rhein UIR.
Thanx again + hear you later!