PDA

View Full Version : i am new to the forums, and a sorta new pilot

adrianp918
3rd Sep 2011, 00:58
what would you recommend for a first timer flying with his family...i am looking for something that can seat my family of 5 and carry some luggage of 3 kids and 2 adults

i am looking for a single engine

Pilot DAR
3rd Sep 2011, 01:34
Welcome Adrian.

If you're looking for an aircraft type which can carry two adults and three kids with luggage, you're probably needing something at least Cessna 182 to Cessna 206 sized, or equivalents from other manufacturers. These will be less common for rental, and will require some additional training, if you are a low time pilot. You may find minimum experience requirements to be insured on these types, if you can find one to rent. If a 206, brace yourself for the fuel bill!

Remind yourself of the increased pilot workload of having to be pilot and husband /daddy. Your family are used to your attention, without having to share it with your flying duties too. Plan to be very firm in asserting when you are not husband/daddy first for periods of time then and now. This might include demanding silence, and turning off the intercom. Consider taking them in smaller groups. You don't have to impress them all at the same time. I have a wife and four kids, and I have never had them all flying at the same time.

Get them all used to flying one by one, then consider groups when they are all more relaxed, and used to your duties and skills. Remind yourself of the possible sudden need to get someone back on the ground when a tummy turns upsidedown.

Don't rush it, you want them to really enjoy themselves. That said, for sure, take them!

Safe flying!

adrianp918
3rd Sep 2011, 01:42
Thank you for your reply, i did not take all this into consideration, i am almost done with my PPL and i have my test scheduled for Oct 1st 2011.....i think your advice would suite me best because my kids are clingy sometimes, a 14 yr & 10 yr old daughters old 13 yrs son

they do like there daddy time alot, so i think i will try with the miss's first and then add a child later on....

Thanks once again

Pilot DAR
3rd Sep 2011, 02:09
Hmmm, three teenagers, and Mrs... Give it time! They all should fly with you individually first. Make them wait a little. You need the self assurance building, and they'll appreciate it more if they've had to wait a bit.

Dayton is a very nice area to fly, and up to Sandusky can be pretty for a day flight. Take them in turn up to Lake Erie for a tour, it will be more relaxing for you. Honestly, your being handed a C 206, to take the whole family, will not be likely for you for a while. Insurance companies quietly rule things like this from behind the scenes....

Pace
3rd Sep 2011, 07:35
Adrian

I know that you probably took up flying with taking the family for days out firmly in mind.

I was taught when I started flying and had just got my PPL that getting the PPL was a licence to start learning to fly!

Do you really want to be learning with the most precious cargo you can have on board?

I would suggest that in the early days if you want to take the family take an instructor or experienced pilot friend along.
Also consider that these are not babies but probably strapping 13 14 year olds so you may be looking at renting a six seater or when solo an aircraft equipt to carry 5.

Everything in time but new PPL? get some hours under your belt first.

Pace

funfly
3rd Sep 2011, 09:39
Perhaps, if you are planning to take out all of your family in one go, you should consider a twin, also get your spouse to do a safety pilot course.

BackPacker
3rd Sep 2011, 12:00
I would also second the opinion that you should take your family flying one-by-one in something that you used during training (most likely a C172 or PA28), before you cram them all in a C208, PA32 or something like that.

In addition to building your own confidence and experience, what you also need to validate is that they like flying, including all the hassle that private flying comes with. I realise that the infrastructure in the US is different from Europe, and you can e.g. arrange with FBOs to have the rental car delivered right next to the plane, but at the end of the day an aircraft will still simply transport you from a place you don't want to be (an airport) to another place where you again don't want to be (another airport). You always need additional transport to/from the place you want to be (Disneyland or similar) and from/to the airfield at both ends of the journey. And bad weather or an aircraft going tech (which happens a lot more to aircraft than cars) can mean a few days delay. And so forth.

If your family doesn't particularly care for the flying part of the journey, in a lot of cases it's easier, cheaper and usually almost as fast (sometimes faster) to simply take the family car. Or fly commercially.

So take it slow. Build your own experience in flying, but also build your families experience in you flying. If you find flying is not for them, or at least not all at once, well, then don't invest in something that can carry all plus luggage. Only start thinking about something big enough to carry all plus luggage once you've validated that the family does enjoy the flying thing and sees the possibilities despite the hassle.

Pilot DAR
3rd Sep 2011, 13:33
One of our most pleasant family holidays was a week long stay at a B&B in Prince Edward Island, which had a runway. Six of us departed home in Ontario with me and one kid in the mighty C 150, and my wife, and the rest of the kids in the van. We prearranged stops at every airport we could find along the driving route, to swap kids. When we arrived at Rivier du Loup, on the St Lawrence River, the whales were presenting a magnificent show, so I took each person in turn for a great flight out to see the whales.

Once at the B&B, we had both the plane and the van. We used each for the week, for appropriate local trips. In case of "tech", we had the other vehicle for support.

There are many variables when you travel by light aircraft, and you have to have plans for what you'll do when something does not go as planned.

ShyTorque
3rd Sep 2011, 18:08
Perhaps, if you are planning to take out all of your family in one go, you should consider a twin, also get your spouse to do a safety pilot course.

I think you might have phrased that a little better....... :ooh:

PompeyPaul
4th Sep 2011, 08:14
Six of us departed home in Ontario with me and one kid in the mighty C 150, and my wife, and the rest of the kids in the van. We prearranged stops at every airport we could find along the driving route, to swap kids.
that is one very understanding wife!

stickandrudderman
4th Sep 2011, 09:17
Quote:
Six of us departed home in Ontario with me and one kid in the mighty C 150, and my wife, and the rest of the kids in the van. We prearranged stops at every airport we could find along the driving route, to swap kids.

Indeed, but also a superb idea!:ok:

Pilot DAR
4th Sep 2011, 15:26

Yes, very much so, and excellent kids too!

The reward for my wife's understanding, was several day trips once there, to all kinds of places we just never would otherwise fly to....

Iles de la Madeleine! Magnificent!

Spit161
4th Sep 2011, 16:13
As the question has already been answered, welcome to the forum!
I'm also new (long time lurker) so we're in it together!

cheers,
Jake.