PDA

View Full Version : Debach - Near Ipswich

Arclite01
2nd Sep 2011, 11:43
Flying near here last night I saw that the Control Tower seems refurbished and there is a windsock and what appears to be a mown and rollered Grass strip.

Does anyone know whether it's usable or PPR ? - or am I going mad..........

Thanks

Arc

P.S. Thanks Maurice for the 2 Mustang flypast last night at around 19.00 near Diss :ok:

(I was above you at 4000')

Cricket23
3rd Sep 2011, 07:15
Hi,

The control tower and some of the buildings have been restored - info here:Helton's Hellcats 493rd BG(H) Debach (http://www.493bgdebach.co.uk/index.php)

To fund this they hold a number of events (the above has details).

The strip is useable, but I'm not a strip flyer, so haven't used it (there is a contact in the link).

I've an interest in Debach as my granddad's haulage company was requisitioned to build it. My dad was roped in and had many tall tales to tell. A couple of years ago, we took him to a hanger dance there when he was 85 - and still able to jitter-bug! Sadly. now passed away.

Regards,

C23

vanHorck
3rd Sep 2011, 07:21
on google earth you can see a single engine plane just at the south western end of the runway, still on the grass

Arclite01
5th Sep 2011, 12:02
Thanks for the info Gents.

I'll try and get in touch with them then......

regards

Arc

NavEx
5th Sep 2011, 17:20
I landed at Debach last Thursday. Details are in AFE, but not in Pooleys. PPR is required and details are in AFE

The grass runway is smooth and well kept, 550m long, wide, with clear approaches. The concrete pan to the south of the runway is rough and care needs to be taken crossing from grass/concrete. I woudn't land on the concrete and run onto the grass.

The museum is very good and well worth a visit. They have done a great job restoring the tower and buildings.

Well worth a visit

Ultra long hauler
5th Sep 2011, 17:23
Hi,
The strip is useable, but I'm not a strip flyer, so haven't used it

C23

You are not a "strip flyer"?
So where do you fly, if I may ask?
Never heard that phrase before, you see……….

###Ultra Long Hauler###