PDA

View Full Version : Peter Twiss

Chris Royle
1st Sep 2011, 17:12
Although I can find no reference on the BBC news web site, I believe that Peter Twiss died yesterday (31st August). This is recorded in the Wikipedia entry.
A sad loss, especially for those of us for whom he was a boyhood hero.
He came to talk to us at White Waltham on the 60th anniversary of his record breaking flight. A great story, wonderfully told.
A lovely man. Modest, unassuming, but still with a twinkle in his eye.
We shall not see his like again.
RIP

Albert Driver
1st Sep 2011, 18:42
I wonder how many thousands of youngsters were inspired by Peter Twiss to find a way to get into the air and have a go themselves.

Well, here's another one.

Thanks, Peter! It's been a blast.

RIP A hero and a gentleman.

treadigraph
1st Sep 2011, 19:14
I was born too late to appreciate the aviation achievements of the 1940s, 50s and 60s as they occurred but as my interest in aviation developed, so the stories unfolded and my respect for the likes of Twiss, Duke, Cunningham, et al, grew and grew.

"Faster Than the Sun" is a fairly recent addition to my book shelves and I think it's an appropriate time for another read.

Most intrigued to read that he drove one of the speed boats in "From Russia With Love"!

Here's to you sir.

Herod
1st Sep 2011, 20:18
Like my service number, 1,132mph is hard-wired into my brain.

Chris Royle
1st Sep 2011, 20:50
Treadigraph.
When Fairey's were subsumed into Westland, Peter Twiss did not relish helicopter flying, so he went on to manage Fairey Marine (at Hamble ISTR).
He successfully sold their handsome products (e.g. Fairey Huntsman) for many years. It was through this business that he was involved in the James Bond film.

Wander00
2nd Sep 2011, 08:08
I was explaining to my 22 year old and 12 of his friends who Peter Twiss was - "What speed did he do for the record?" asked one. Like a flash - "1,132 mph" Engraved on my brain. Now what did I have for breakfast?

Jhieminga
2nd Sep 2011, 08:48
There's a short article on the BBC site now: BBC News - First 1,000mph air speed record pilot dies (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-14756742)

RIP.

Kieron Kirk
2nd Sep 2011, 19:13
Peter Twiss: former air speed record pilot dies, aged 90 - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/8736662/Peter-Twiss-former-air-speed-record-pilot-dies-aged-90.html)

Ciarain.

603DX
2nd Sep 2011, 20:14
I can still remember the huge newspaper headlines "1,132 MPH!" back in 1956, announcing what I believe was the largest increase in the air speed record ever. The 310 mph increase was astonishing, particularly when compared with the more modest 8 mph achieved in 1953 by Mike Lithgow's Swift over Neville Duke's Hunter. Peter Twiss was certainly regarded as a national hero.

One cannot help wondering wistfully whether the record will ever be held again by an Englishman, or if the whole concept of maximum speed by turbine or rocket powered aircraft is now quite outmoded by the stupendous velocities achieved by spacecraft and satellites.

newt
2nd Sep 2011, 23:23
What a world we live in today. Some drug addicted pop star dies and the BBC flash it up on the screen almost as it happens.

A true hero of British aviation departs the fix aged 90 and not a word from the BBC!

Peter Twiss was a pioneer and a great British aviator who pushed the boundaries of human endeavour!:D:D:D

aviate1138
3rd Sep 2011, 05:12
"A true hero of British aviation departs the fix aged 90 and not a word from the BBC!

Because the BBC would see Peter Twiss as a dispenser of Carbon Dioxide pollution and poison!

BTW almost any BBC funded program manages to mention Global Warming//Climate Change or Disruption and sea level rise ad nauseam.

Peter Twiss was a hero of mine and I have to add that his Fairey Delta looked like someone over the channel spotted it and later produced something called a Mirage?

P6 Driver
3rd Sep 2011, 07:05
I saw a feature on the main BBC 10pm news a couple of days ago...

Chris Scott
3rd Sep 2011, 10:46
Quote from newt:
What a world we live in today. Some drug addicted pop star dies and the BBC flash it up on the screen almost as it happens.
A true hero of British aviation departs the fix aged 90 and not a word from the BBC!

As a constant critic of the BBC, not to mention conscientious objector to paying my TV licence in the wake of the Jonathan Woss scandal, there's a certain irony in having to defend it in this instance.

However, it was the BBC2 Newsnight programme that first informed me, on Thursday night (Sept 1st), of Peter Twiss's death. Announcing it briefly at the end of the programme, they dedicated their closing credits to some footage of the FD2. They also had a short piece on their news website (see link in Jhieminga's post above).

While I also deplore the current cult of celebrity, my impression is that it was started by the tabloid press and TV shows such as Big Brother; not the BBC.

There's no doubt, however, that the corporation – like much of the country – has succumbed to a warped perception of what merits public acclaim, as witness their former employment of Mr Ross. People like Twiss, who modestly pursue challenging and dangerous activities to advance the sum of human knowledge, are regarded as less newsworthy than attention-seeking, overpaid entertainers – particularly those who are then driven to a deliberately self-destructive lifestyle. Pity them, and pity a society whose values are so misplaced.

Herod
3rd Sep 2011, 15:23
Ref the Mirage. Read "Empire of the Clouds". (James Hamilton-Patterson)

p181 "Because of the new regulation forbidding supersonic flights over populated areas.......Twiss was driven abroad to do much of the FD2's testing in France.....When private UK insurance companies quoted exhorbitant premiums....a French insurance company covered all the tests for £ 40.

p186. "When the Mirage was conquering markets all ove the world, Dassault told a British aircraft chief, "If it were not for the clumsy way in which you tackle things in Britain, you could have made the Mirage yourselves"

And still it goes on.

Chris Scott
3rd Sep 2011, 18:31
Just as well English Electric came up with the P1A and P1B...

Re the French, the difference is that – in addition to having more airspace – they respect and admire engineers, and are more air-minded than we British. And their powers-that-be don't allow Nimbys to stand in the way of grands-projets, as witness the rapid planning and adaptation/construction of a bridge-free, rural route ("Grand Gabarit") from the Gironde to Blagnac for the A380 surface convoys.

Last summer I found myself sitting in the cockpits of a Mirage 2000 and a Jaguar – both retired, but airframes in good shape – that were on static display for 10 days near the centre of a small rural town in France. Can you imagine that happening in the UK?

Apologies for the apparent thread drift, but it's all about recognition of true excellence, and capturing the imagination of youth. Our rulers are very fond of talking about rτle models. Has any of them lauded Peter Twiss? (Don't hold your breath.)

PFR
3rd Sep 2011, 18:42
Sadly well said Newt. Goes with a Britain that seems to know the cost of everything but the value of nothing.....:(

I also applaud your posting Chris Scott - yes we've let the French and Germans run away with it - I wonder what the compatriots of the author of "First Light" would say......:confused:

2 sheds
3rd Sep 2011, 19:51
You will notice, however, that the BBC News website features the article about Peter Twiss in the "Hampshire and Isle of Wight" local news. Such is the level of their appreciation of the significance of the man and his achievements.

Yes - "1132" engraved in the mind - and I remember where I was sitting in the classroom the morning when that was the headline!

2 s

PPRuNe Pop
4th Sep 2011, 14:45
There are two other threads on this and one is on Flight Test forum. I am, therefore, closing this one.