PDA

View Full Version : British Forces Cyprus Veterans Installation Pass.

Al R
1st Sep 2011, 14:16
From the FPS newsletter:

CBF Cyprus has received MOD approval to issue a British Forces Cyprus Veterans' Installation Pass. Each of the Cyprus base security staffs is developing the process with a view to issuing ID Cards from September. Meanwhile details of where those entitled will be allowed to visit and shop etc within each of the bases is still being developed.Harnessing the power of prune, does anyone have good contact details for someone out there who is dealing with this or who might know anything more? I'm out there in a couple of weeks for a bimble down memory lane and it'd be great to see where I used to get shouted at, run around like a blue ars#ed fly, do jankers, pick up litter, get punched a lot etc.

Also, the Limassol Wine Festival - does anyone have the dates for that?

Thanks. :ok:

SirPeterHardingsLovechild
1st Sep 2011, 15:05
I've got a mate out there who's involved in the WSBA Archaeological Society so he'll be all over this. PM me.

goudie
1st Sep 2011, 15:11
the Limassol Wine Festival - does anyone have the dates for that?

Limassol Calendar of Festivals and Events 2011 / 2012: General Information - Limassol, Cyprus, CY
The Limassol Wine Festival lasts for just under two weeks and starts August 30th and runs until September 11th every year, being based within the Municipal Gardens.

There yer go Al

Brings back a few memories for me too

Al R
1st Sep 2011, 15:17
Love sprog,

I just PM'd you - many thanks.

Goudie,

Many thanks too - that was my introduction to Cyprus, 28 years ago. Landed at 1700, Wine Festival by 1900, showered and unpacked by 0645.

1st Sep 2011, 15:24
28 yrs ago? I make that the Beirut evacuation. (You weren't on 2 Sqn were you?)

Al R
1st Sep 2011, 15:49
Op Pulsator (or was the Bucc flying something seperate to the evacuation?)? I remember standing on the armour at Buttons and watching one fly past me at almost at the same altitude (if thats the right word - 'altitude' and 'height' somehow, just don't seem appropriate ).

2? No, I had just arrived on 34. 8 of us were pinged for Op Bushell almost immediately. I slipped into the CO's office one evening and found that my passport had inadvertently teleported to the top of the pile of possible det candidates that the 2ic had suggested to him. Happy days.

Geehovah
1st Sep 2011, 17:06
What a great initiative:ok: It would be great to check out the Mess after all these years and, if I ever get back to Cyprus, a brandy sour would go down a treat. I've not manged to match the recipe in UK.

The most depressing thing about retiring was the total lack of interest in "veterans". "Hand your ID card in on the way out" seems so impersonal after 37 years service. Such a contrast to the support US personnel enjoy with BX access and health care. Retired US personnel can drop into the O Club at any time.

Maybe the rest of the UK might follow?

Whenurhappy
2nd Sep 2011, 08:37
Hmm, I have served on 2 locations with major US presence and US Service Personnel I have worked with have mixed views of 'vets' using their facilities.

Although there is deep respect for the veteran community, there is some resentment of long-retired vets, turning up with their locally acquired wives - and their relatives - doing a 'supermarket sweep' around the Commissary or BX/PX/NEX on a regular basis. I have seen them load up their cars almost to breaking point with trays of goods (tax-free). Moreover, 'vets' often ensconce themselves in LEC jobs on Garrisons and Bases, often blocking opportunities for spouses of serving personnel.

Well, I suppose that's part of the through life support deal and the facilites that are on 'offer' on most UK bases are considerably less attractive. I don't plan to hang around the old Spa Shop or the Officers' Mess to swap yarns with the youngsters - that's what PPRuNE is for!

Al R
2nd Sep 2011, 09:12
.. if I ever get back to Cyprus, a brandy sour would go down a treat. I've not manged to match the recipe in UK.

Agreed. This is what I'm going to be like..

Ice Cold In Alex - YouTube

Whenur,

I wonder if vets attitudes too, haven't changed, along with the military way of life? Possibly, they/we aren't so insular and clingy to the former 'good old days'. I just want to see where I had the best years of my life one more time with the person who I met out there all those years ago - older, wiser, fatter, less punchy (me, not her) and I just want to briefly reflect and wallow in nostalgia. I feel very much at home when I visit RAF clients and Messes, but I am aware too, that I am very much yesterday's man (even though I don't feel 'old'!).

I have now received an invite from someone there who is going to host us, so all's well etc.

2nd Sep 2011, 09:42
The Pen club has changed a bit. Where you 34 Sqn ruffians used to sit and look menacing is now the internet suite. What was the disco is now a bowling alley...that old bloke who did your emergency pork flip flop has gone, food hygene you know. Andy the deaf barman has retired. And you don't get 50mils back on your bottles any more.

Lots of big TV's though.

Sylvanas is there as you remember it. But have 15 Euros per person ready!

Old Chris is retired and frail, young Chris runs the show.

Harris/Harry at the Polis is still there.

brakedwell
2nd Sep 2011, 10:02
Also, the Limassol Wine Festival - does anyone have the dates for that?

Thanks.

I could never remember going to the Limmasol "Wine" Festival :E

Haven't night stopped in Limassol for thirty seven years - is the Rex still operating? :cool:

Al R
2nd Sep 2011, 13:40
I was more a Swan blurk. And never a ruffian!

Well, possibly, apart from the night we grounded Olive Harvest. And as for those APC temps.. :=

2Planks
2nd Sep 2011, 15:30
I could never remember coming back from the Limassol Wine festival. :E:E