PDA

View Full Version : Pressure settings.

chevvron
1st Sep 2011, 09:34
wef 0001 on 17 Nov 2011, the Hectopascal will replace the millibar in UK airspace.

ShyTorque
1st Sep 2011, 15:36
How will the maintenance organisations cope with all the required re-calibration of altimeters? Ours only show millibars and inches Hg.

FlyingStone
1st Sep 2011, 15:59
How will the maintenance organisations cope with all the required re-calibration of altimeters? Ours only show millibars and inches Hg.

From what I heard, the re-calibration of existing altimeters will be EASA Major Mod and new ones' cost is reported to be in five figures due to the fact that if you want to display the pressure in hPa, you need an entirely new way of sensing the pressure and thus justifying the higher cost.

CruiseAttitude
1st Sep 2011, 16:01
1 hPa = 1 mb so no recalibration required.

ShyTorque
1st Sep 2011, 16:02
Not sure why this thread is playing silly b's with the post timings...

But will the use of conversion tables will be acceptable?

charliegolf
1st Sep 2011, 16:04
:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:= still norty after all these years, Shy?

CG

IO540
1st Sep 2011, 16:28
How will the maintenance organisations cope with all the required re-calibration of altimeters? Ours only show millibars and inches Hg. Clearly it is at least a couple of years since ST and CA did their JAA ATPL Met Theory :ugh:

If they did it every year (as strongly advised by the Guild of Retired RAF Navigators) they would know that there are 1.24 hectopascals per millibar.

I am sure Bob Pooley will be doing a special slide rule for doing the conversion.

ShyTorque
1st Sep 2011, 16:45
IO...

As you obviously see yourself as an aviation expert ... do you have any idea what those funny little symbols, at the top of my aviation related posts on this subject, mean?

:E :p

MarkR1981
1st Sep 2011, 16:53
:= 1 Hecto Pacscal (HPa) is indeed 1millibar since 1 Bar is equal to 1x10^5 Pascals.:8

so 1013mb for example is the same pressure value as 1013HPa

The only change will be the RT requirement to read back pressure settings less than 1000 in terms of HPa instead of millibar.

jxk
1st Sep 2011, 17:15
Didn't Hector Pascal invent penicillin or something?

ShyTorque
1st Sep 2011, 17:24
He used to make very nice sweets. :ok:

Genghis the Engineer
1st Sep 2011, 17:52
When I was young and less jaded than I am now, I was sent to work on an aircraft carrier for a while. Every met brief the RN briefed QNH in hPa, which was fine - but it took me a week to work out why they never briefed QFE.

Answers on a postcard please.

G

ShyTorque
1st Sep 2011, 17:59
That would be a sea level, sorry sea side postcard then? :)

Pilot DAR
1st Sep 2011, 18:14
they never briefed QFE

Hmm, perhaps because, other than during calm seas, the deck was never at just one elevation?

cct
3rd Sep 2011, 15:25
If Pascal was a scientist, who was Hector?

avonflyer
3rd Sep 2011, 15:33
ahh at last, I think I can help there. Hector was the dog in the TV program with ZaZa the cat and KiKi the frog.. Not sure of the connection to atmospheric pressure though.

airpolice
3rd Sep 2011, 15:37
Avon, it is all about the depression that sets in when you realise how long ago it was on tv.

Lone_Ranger
3rd Sep 2011, 17:38
Clearly it is at least a couple of years since ST and CA did their JAA ATPL Met Theory If they did it every year (as strongly advised by the Guild of Retired RAF Navigators) they would know that there are 1.24 hectopascals per millibar

...........Ok I get that this MUST be a joke, but im totally failing to locate the bit with the humour in it????????

ShyTorque
3rd Sep 2011, 18:05
Lone, Glad you posted that.

I thought "Is it me, or what?" :confused: