PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Aero Club & Tayside Aviation

B_Fawlty
31st Aug 2011, 19:18
In some regards I'm a bit spoilt for choice as my location means both the above are in easy reach. I'd be interested to hear of any opinions that would propose that one is better than the other for someone looking to do a PPL.
My initial impression is that Tayside are more geared to those with their sights on the CPL as well as dealing with Flying Scholarships. That's not to say that it wouldn't be good for a PPL.
I've previously solicited for advice on Scone vs Dundee but that was some time ago, before Tayside Aviation left Scone and it narrowly avoided ended up becoming a housing scheme :sad:
Thanks in advance.

airpolice
31st Aug 2011, 19:44
You are not comparing Apples with Apples.

Your choice ought to be between ACS & Tayside.

B_Fawlty
31st Aug 2011, 21:37
You are not comparing Apples with Apples.

Your choice ought to be between ACS & Tayside.

Airpolice,
I can only go by what the SAC state on their own website:
In partnership with the airfield operator (Air Charter Scotland), the S.A.C. offers three axis training in a fleet of Group A aircraft and also in the club's new Eurostar microlight.(my bold for emphasis)

So essentially, same difference!

Say again s l o w l y
31st Aug 2011, 23:53
Air Charter Scotland took over Tayflite and run the training out of Perth.

I've worked as an FI for both Tayside and ACS.

I'd train with ACS.

whitus1
1st Sep 2011, 04:32
Ive flown with tayside and they are a brilliant school! would recomend!

gasax
1st Sep 2011, 07:35
No Basil it isn't!

ACS essentially run a 'self contained' operation with little interaction with the aero club.

If you fly the Eurostar you are in the 'body of the kirk' with SAC, if you fly SEP you are within the ACS operation - granted only a short distance away from the aeroclub.

I've met a few of the ACS instructors and they seem reasonable sorts, I've not been to Tayside for a long time - but during the summer it always seemed that the ATC cadets had Tayside's full attention.

Visit both and compare your welcome and the people you meet.

Dan the weegie
1st Sep 2011, 08:03
Visit both is very wise advice :)

That said from a training perspective you really wont go wrong with either.

140KIAS
1st Sep 2011, 10:38
Gasax, is it not the case that in order to train you must be a member of a flying club - perhaps that explains the 'partnership'

Depends what you are looking for but the social side may also be of interest. Even as a student participating in flyouts either as a lesson or in the back seat will help broaden you experience and give you a feel for whats to come.

Fife has an active club which works closely with Tayside and it's instructors. The majority of PPL's are hirers although there are a few groups. Dundee is similar. I might be wrong but I get the feeling that Perth is more individual private owners.

Also look at the whole costs including landings, membership, insurance waiver, ground school etc etc.

B_Fawlty
1st Sep 2011, 12:18
Thanks for the opinions and advice. I was planning a visit/trial lesson with each for comparison as well as posing the usual questions.

I'm not into starting an argument/debate but the situation with ACS & SAC seems a little odd but that's perhaps my lack of experience in running flying schools and aerodromes in action :confused:. A look on the ACS website makes no mention of flight training at all. As SAC describe ACS as the airport operator at Scone then it's a little bit like BAA offering . My only real query would be whether it had an effect or not on the actual training offered.

muggins
1st Sep 2011, 13:08
B_Fawlty

are you lopoking at ACS Flight Training (http://www.acsflighttraining.co.uk/)

or Air Charter Scotland (http://www.aircharterscotland.com/)?

BillieBob
1st Sep 2011, 13:49
is it not the case that in order to train you must be a member of a flying clubNope, until next April this is required only in certain circumstances (e.g. the instructor holds a UK national PPL).

B_Fawlty
1st Sep 2011, 14:31
B_Fawlty

are you lopoking at ACS Flight Training (http://www.acsflighttraining.co.uk/)

or Air Charter Scotland (http://www.aircharterscotland.com/)?

Muggins,
Initially I'd found the Air Charter Scotland website but earlier this afternoon (after my last post :O) I found the ACS Flight Training site which does have details of the PPL. Inexorably, I get that little bit closer to the fount!

MIKECR
1st Sep 2011, 21:33
Perth or Dundee, you wont go far wrong either way. I think both(ACS/Leading Edge and Tayside Aviation) offer good rates. Visit both, make your own mind up.

B_Fawlty
2nd Sep 2011, 12:13
Perth or Dundee, you wont go far wrong either way. I think both(ACS/Leading Edge and Tayside Aviation) offer good rates. Visit both, make your own mind up.

I fully intend to, just seeing what opinions are out there that can be taken into consideration as part of the process.

DB6
3rd Sep 2011, 15:24
Dundee: full ATC, controlled airfield, Grob Herons are fully aerobatic, Warriors will take 4 adults, useful tourers. Cadets and RAF CFS contract mean standards are high and continuously monitored.
Perth: Air/Ground radio, much more relaxed, uncontrolled aifield. Don't know about the Eurostar but newer although probably trainer only, not tourer.
As a GA airfield Perth is undoubtedly better, however for training, if you want to go commercial then probably Dundee, if only PPL then what do you want to do afterwards?

p1andy
3rd Sep 2011, 21:30
Trained at Tayside for my PPL. Great bunch of people there both instructors & students. I never had any problems booking slots for training either. As above Dundee has the full ATC, RAF cadets, commercial interaction and also Leuchars just over the water. Id highly recommend them.

Never been to the Perth school so can't pass comment on that.

flystrathclyde
14th Sep 2011, 21:28
I thought it would be good to clarify the operations at Perth Airport (Scone):-

ACS Aviation operate the airfield.

SAC (Scottish Aero Club) are the flying club based on the airfield. They have operators within the club to provide training for flexwing/microlight and gyrocopters.

ACS Flight Training (part of ACS Aviation) provide Commercial Training and PPL training.

Kingsfield Helicopters provide PPL and Commercial helicopter training.

Leading Edge (now part of ACS Aviation) operate from Cumbernauld Airport. The Perth operations are now part of ACS Flight Training.

In summary, Perth Airport can provide virtually ALL forms of training - Air Service Training are also on site providing ATPL Ground School! The above organisations do not compete against each other and as such provide mutual assistance.

The airport website is being developed and has links to each of the operators:-

Welcome to the Frontpage (http://www.perthairport.eu)