PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on American Flight Schools

Matt Holmes
3rd Nov 2001, 22:35
Hi Everyone,
This is my first message. (Exciting stuff) I'm from England and am about to inrole at North American Institute of Aviation in South Carolina. Can anyone tell about the Flight school- Good or bad, and also is South Carolina a nice place to live. Would appericate any responses on this matter or anything else that may be of value.

Thanks
HOLMESZ.

slim_slag
3rd Nov 2001, 23:28
Ok!

I've never heard of the place and some parts of S Carolina are nice and some not so nice.

Why did you select this particular school? Did you look at any others? Do you want to just get your PPL or are you going to continue on for further ratings? Is this a career move or just a pleasure trip?

Your answers to these questions may help others answer your question.

TowerDog
4th Nov 2001, 21:53
NAIA has been around for a long time.
They have been focusing on International students:
Several friends og mine got their training at NAIA. Have not heard anything bad abouth the place.

(I was admitted too in 1978, but chose another and cheaper school in Tenessee instead.)

Good luck.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
4th Nov 2001, 22:35
Holmesz,

I have been hiring graduates from NAIA as Flight Instructors for the past 5 years. They instruct for me until their J-1 Visa expires and they return home.

They are well trained and very happy with both the training and atmosphere at NAIA.

Happy Flying,

Capt. Richard J. Gentil, Pres.
Naples Air Center, Inc.

aviator
5th Nov 2001, 00:31
I am a former graduate of NAIA (1977/1978).

It was a very good experience for me. My classmates are flying for airlines and corporations all over the world.

In years past they did the ab initio training for SAS (Scandinavian Airlines).

In 1998 we held our class reunion at NAIA in Conway, SC and had a "career fair" for the students going through.

I believe NAIA owns the airport, flight school and A&P school as well as the dormitories.

Conway is about half an hour drive from Myrtle Beach, which is a pretty nice resort/beach town.

Check out the previous graduates on their website at http://www.naiasc.com/. It is pretty interesting reading.

Make sure you consider the ramifications of FAA vs JAA licences - I understand it is a big consideration if you are returning to Europe.

[ 04 November 2001: Message edited by: aviator ]