PDA

View Full Version : Hyperthyroidism - Does it affect me if I plan to be a commerical pilot?

flyingpiglet9
30th Aug 2011, 08:29
I did have plan of joining a commercial airline in Taiwan, send it resume, accepted after 2 interview but out of no where, I am been diagnose of hyperthyroid in my free annual check check by my current company(Not the airline co.). :{:{:{

The doctor say it is quite serious, and many take up to a year, min 6mth to bring the level back to normal range.

Can I still be able to join the airline after the condition is been controlled? Or I can forget about joining for the rest of my life?:sad::sad:

Please to hear your advise asap.

nurjio
2nd Sep 2011, 09:38
fp9, I have pm'd you. It really should not be a problem. Thyroid issues are quite common and many go undiagnosed. So long as a prescribed drug regime works then you'll be fine; however, I used carbimazole as a block and replace drug. My endocrinologist recommended 3 years of this then removal of the thyroid. Problem was, after coming off carbimazole I went hyper again so total removal was only option. That's when the big C arrived during histology. I'm ok now and back flying with a full class 1 medical, restricted to as, or with copilot. I'm a Captain. :O

Nudnik

homonculus
3rd Sep 2011, 13:34
There are a number of different causes of hyperthyroidism so please be careful about the experience of individuals.

It is important that you see an endocrinologist to get a diagnosis. This may involve blood tests, imaging and or a fine needle aspirate where a tiny needle is put into the thyroid gland to take a sample.

The treatment will depend not only upon the diagnosis but also your age and occupation. It may involve drugs, irradiation, surgery or a combination, BUT without a face to face consultation with an endocrinologist this is pure speculation.

Your ability to regain a license unfortunately depends upon these findings as well as your regulator's rules, so sadly we cant tell you if or when you might be able to do this

Good luck

Babablackship
11th Sep 2011, 20:16
See an endocrinologist, get all the tests done ( blood tests, thyroid scitigraphy, etc ). You would have accelerated pulse rate, higher than normal blood pressure, unusual weight loss, trembling hands ( when held out straight in front of you ) and even protruding eyes ( Grave's disease associated with hyperthyroidism ).

The endocrinologist will give various option, ranging from drug therapy using carbimazole or radio iodine therapy or surgical removal of the thyroid gland.

All options should not affect your medical license as long as your condition is controlled. However, if the carbimazole therapy is employed the AME will have to be satisfied that your condition is stable after a 2 or 3 weeks period of monitoring; you may be put on beta blockers or other hypertension drugs to stabilize your blood pressure.

If the radio iodine therapy or surgical option is employed, and your thyroid gland is rendered inactive, then you will have to be on thyroid hormones for life. No problems in maintaining your license but again your condition must be stable. However countries with tough medical requirements like Korea, Taiwan, Japan and China may give you trouble if they do include thyroid function in their blood tests.

Good luck and happy landings!

flyingpiglet9
28th Sep 2011, 12:43
Just a little update, I went to the endocrinologist for my 3 appointments. Hyperthyroid is well under control with Thyrozol.

The doctor also say it should not affect airman medical, but subjected to the airline if they want to accept me, given that they have to sponsor me to undergo for flying training and I have to list down Hyperthyroid under the medical history.:ugh::ugh::ugh:

Will it be better that I paid for my own training and after I have my CPL than join airline? Does this have a higher chance to be an airline pilot? Anyone familiar with the HR?

edited->

The interviewer told me to try again after thyroid is under remission. So yes, that appointment vanished after interviewer heard that I have hyperthyroid.

Babablackship
6th Oct 2011, 06:38
Sorry to hear that; I guess they would rather sponsor a candidate with a full clean sheet that one with an existing condition.

You can certainly self sponsor to obtain a CPL/MPL and fly with some smaller outfits ( who will be less stringent on medical matters ) to gain sufficient hours to join a major later. The current carrier would still have your records ( if it's anal retentive SQ ) making it difficult for you. As long as your hyperactive thyroid is under control, most airlines have no problems with your condition. Good luck.