PDA

View Full Version : The vulgar topic of coin

Liney111
29th Aug 2011, 19:27
Evening fellas,

First post and it's naturally a question to begin with.

In your gentle experience, what is a good average salary for a station engineer? I'd like to say it's only 40 hours a week but in actual fact the demands on the time are nigh on 24/7 so I don't think 50k is far off the mark?

I'm just trying to garner as much information as I can before the management try and tell me to:mad: off!

I'm pretty determined here though. The disparity between the bean counters and the producers is growing ever wider........

T.R Haychemu
29th Aug 2011, 20:15
Where? UK Station? Who For? An Airline, 3rd Party MRO?

50k would be fair I'd guess for a 3rd party, but for an airline the guys working for you will be on 50 or more themselves, so for the extra ballache involved, you'd be looking at mid 50's +?

winglit
29th Aug 2011, 20:26
Overseas station eng for a UK company covering ETOPS transits.

Less than 40hrs a week.

GBP 48K tax free plus medical, kids school, car insurance, internet and phone bills.

No overtime. No free flights.

Alas for me, no more. Got made redundant this month!

Liney111
29th Aug 2011, 21:10
3rd party MRO which operates a line for several other european airlines/hauliers. Don't want to say too much as I don't know if "they" are listening.

Both of you describe situations similar to mine and my oppo's though (there are only two of us handling the whole shanbang) so that's heartening! :ok:

Redundancy though-Not so heartening :(

grounded27
30th Aug 2011, 03:38
The topic of "coin" is never vulgar, reach for the stars I say. And you get what you pay for, sadly in this profession we are viewed as a liability and poorly compensated due to our inability to unify to establish our worth as a barging token.

spannersatcx
30th Aug 2011, 13:36
35-40 would be average, 50 above average.

WenWe
30th Aug 2011, 16:44
When you stay "station engineer", do you mean the lone guy working at an outstation - or the bloke running the line at main base with 50 odd staff & a budget in the millions?

Big difference.

Liney111
30th Aug 2011, 17:50
Hard to explain. Running a full line operation. Chasing contracts, tooling, manpower etc but at the same time actually taking care of the aircraft. The work is consistent but we are looking to expand as and where we can. And from what the management are telling me, I'm at the pointy end of the stick :sad:

pez1
30th Aug 2011, 19:30
Anywhere between £55-70k basic salary, depending on the size of the station/amount of guys under your responsibility with the UK airlines I'm familiar with.
Bonuses/performance related pay in addition are sometimes included with some operators.

The Hitcher
30th Aug 2011, 23:17
50k ??..... Your mechanics would be earning more than you, never mind the licensed engineers......:eek:

Liney111
31st Aug 2011, 17:35
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I'm also trying to think about the best way to go abouot asking for this increase. It won't be till next year now. Maybe Feb-March. Any advice? I don't want to be militant if at all possible!

TURIN
31st Aug 2011, 20:46
50k ??..... Your mechanics would be earning more than you, never mind the licensed engineers......

Oooh, where do I sign up?

How many hours a week does it take a Mech to earn 50K? :suspect: