PDA

View Full Version : Future career as an Airline Pilot; A-Levels or Scottish Highers

hayreece
29th Aug 2011, 18:48
What would you suggest? I am going to be a Commercial Airline Pilot, this year, I have to either sit my A-Levels or Scottish Highers. What would you suggest?

Thanks

chrislangley
29th Aug 2011, 18:55
I don't think it will really make much difference. I know guys that have come from Scotland and England and it doesn't really seem to make any difference. Any UK airline will recognise and understand both systems, abroad, the highers may be a little confusing but easy enough to explain as they are pretty much equivalent to A-levels.

Good luck

skyhigher
29th Aug 2011, 19:01
I dont think it would make any difference. Potential employers (airlines) are not interested in your school results.:ok:

captplaystation
29th Aug 2011, 19:07
Jeez ! ! as a Jock myself, it pains me to say it, but. . . . don't know which airline you are thinking of in 5/ 10 years or whenever, but I can't think of a significant one domiciled on the good side of Hadrians Wall, so. . . .
In all seriousness though, get what education is easiest/cheapest then set about somehow earning the mullah to pay for it.

No sponsorships (well, actually I think Flybe & a few others still have a scheme , so best ask them what they would prefer , if you have some intentions there ) but, unfortunately, the main requirement now is the wherewithall to pay for a FATPL /MCC or as an alternative whatever this new fangled two-crew/I can't fly but never mind , licence is called + of course a TR.
Anyway, excuse the slightly bitter remorseful moan about the degradation of my profession, I still, 34 years later , don't regret my choice, & I nonetheless laud your enthsiasm to tackle the long road to prosperity/poverty ahead (50/50) that you have chosen. Just don't expect to get rich/laid (it isn't like that anymore :()

Dan 98
29th Aug 2011, 19:16
What Skyhigher says is true, but that's not to say it isn't worth doing them...your plans may change over the next few years so the better qualifications you have it will at least demonstrate you have the ability to learn and spit information out when you need to and give you options further down the line. At 19 there is no rush at all.

For what it is worth i left school with 4 GCSE's, no A'Levels so don't get fixated on it. The way the industry is you'll need a decent job first to pay the £85k it is going to cost you!!!!!:E

Best of luck:ok:

Eff Oh
30th Aug 2011, 01:45
I did my Highers in '95/'96. I started commercial training in '97 and first job in '99. No employer has ever asked to see my results as far as I can remember. If you did standard grades or whatever they are called now then stick with Highers. Basically if you are in the SQA system then stay with that I would say. At the end of the day if you select aviation as a career it will make little, if any difference what school qualifications you have. Any UK employer will equally recognise Highers or A Levels. Good luck in whatever you decide to do. All the best.

Genghis the Engineer
30th Aug 2011, 07:32
It'll make absolutely no difference, but do one of them and on the whole I'd try and follow maths & physics in either system.

G