PDA

View Full Version : JAA - EASA Licence :April 2012

trex600
29th Aug 2011, 00:10
Iv heard that in April 2012 that we have to convert our licences from JAA to EASA. What can we expect from this apart from a bill?
Is it simply an automatic process from the CAA or will some type of application be needed? Also are there any Pro's or Con's yet known?

T6

B4aeros
29th Aug 2011, 05:00
If you hold a JAA licence, you don't need to do anything.

Your JAA licence will continue to be valid until it's expiration date; when you need to renew the licence (enclosing the usual cheque), the CAA will send you an EASA licence. The main difference being that the EASA licence will be valid for life & will not expire.

It is only those of us with a CAA (pre-JAR) licence or NPPL who may need to convert our licences.

CAA info (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?gid=2061)

Irv
29th Aug 2011, 09:46
It would be interesting to know why you thought that a JAA licence needed a conversion to an EASA licence in April 2012 - an article? a bar conversation? an instructor? Personal misinterpretaton of something that said otherwise?

I remember in 2000 there were some interesting 'interpretations' with all the new JAR changes - I wandered into one club and found an announcement saying all their members must book to do a session of three circuits every 3 months with their instructors to satisfy that 'JAR 3 month rule'. :rolleyes: Nice money spinner at first until they were rumbled by the members.

trex600
29th Aug 2011, 15:06
Irv, I'v obviously crossed my wires somewhere along the line :)
'Probably at the bar'
Still i am more clearer now than i was yesterday on the whole thing.. Many thanks

T6