PDA

View Full Version : C152 LED Landing light

Ryan5252
28th Aug 2011, 14:51
Folks,

Im looking to change from a standard landing light to an LED one. Can anyone recommend where to source one from?

cheers

Monocock
28th Aug 2011, 14:54
Landing light £45 from Aircraft Spruce
Connections and wiring £12 from Maplin
EASA approval £3000

MasterCard. Because life is full of surprises.

Ryan5252
28th Aug 2011, 15:01
Isn't an LED landing light EASA approved?? :eek:

wigglyamp
28th Aug 2011, 15:12
The are some cynics around!
Lees Avionics at Wycombe can offer the Teledyne LED landing light for most GA aircraft including the EASA minor mod.

wigglyamp
28th Aug 2011, 16:01
Our initial customer for the LED landing light has a very substantial fleet of aircraft and wanted the correct documentation in the illustrated parts catelogue. Changes to such documents require formal approval so we wrote an EASA minor change to cover this. It can be easily extend to cover most GA types ( we can't call it an AML in the same way as the FAA as EASA don't like the term!).

Pilot DAR
28th Aug 2011, 16:03
LED lights, including landing lights, are the way of the future. I have test flown them on several aircraft types, including an EC120 helicopter, in which it was fantastic. I just installed two large LED lights on our Fire Department ice resuce airboat, and was very impressed. There's an LED landing light in the near future of my C150.

Though one could seek an "approval" (STC), being a person who provides such approvals through the Transport Canada system, I can tell you that I have argued LED bulb installations down to not be "major", and thus not requiring formal STC or similar approval. Referencing the Canadian criteria for what constitutes a major mod (requires STC), an LED bulb placement does not come close, and is minor. As such, it can be accomplished with "specified" data, AC43.13 for example. This becomes a discussion between the aircraft owner and maintainer, but it is a discussion well worth having.

I doubt that the regulatory authority would have an interest in driving such a simple and worthwhile improvement to require an STC, it just ties up the approval system with zero value added work. Though I do not know the ins and outs of EASA's system, I would be pleased to see more of these replacement/improvement mods getting easily accomplished. If an owner or maintainer is struggling with an LED replacement modification, please tell us here, perhaps this is a place where pulling together, can help set some worthwhile precedent.

Slopey
28th Aug 2011, 16:28
I doubt that the regulatory authority would have an interest in driving such a simple and worthwhile improvement to require an STC, it just ties up the approval system with zero value added work.

I wouldn't be too sure. The entire mission of EASA is to be an interfering regulatory authority with an interest in driving things to be as complicated and expensive as possible, while adding zero value! :ugh:

jxk
28th Aug 2011, 17:18
Commonsense and EASA now there's a strange mixture. No chance of them seeing the light!

A and C
28th Aug 2011, 17:44
That was funny !

IFly
28th Aug 2011, 17:56
Monocock, can you point me to the souce of a £45 LED landing light - I can't see any for less than $200+ ?