PDA

View Full Version : My life as a Rear Gunner on Vulcans.

alisoncc
27th Aug 2011, 02:47
The fact that Vulcans carried a Rear Gunner was a closely guarded secret, with many air crew being terminated should they have inadvertently disclosed their knowledge of such. Termination being initiated by requiring them to exit the aircraft at altitude with a malformed parachute. If the termination was carried out with extreme prejudice then the captain would lower the undercarriage before the terminatee exited. Bouncing off the nose wheel hydraulics was considered extreme prejudice.

Many would have seen evidence of the presence of a Rear Gunner by the apparent deployment of a parachute out the back of a Vulcan on landing. It was considered standard procedure for the Rear Gunner to open their hatch to get some air immediately the wheels touched the ground. The sudden inrush of air made it extremely difficult to stop the deployment of the Rear Gunners backpack parachute once the hatch had been opened, thus necessitating them to hang onto their seat like grim death as the aircraft slowed.

It was widely believed that the B2 Vulcans had four Olympus 200 series engines. This is wholly incorrect. There were in actual fact only three fitted, with the fourth, the inner starboard slot being taken up a with a revolving Gatling gun. Hence the need for a Rear Gunner. The Armourers would be required to hoist a fully loaded gun into the rear of the inner starboard jet exhaust slot prior to take off on a mission.

Whilst they were rarely mistaken in locating an inner slot, and were well aware that Port was left and Starboard was right, occasionally they assumed that left and right was looking from the back of the aircraft where they were working and would install the gun in the jet exhaust of a working engine. This had the unfortunate consequence when the engine was fired up of launching the complete loaded gun in the direction of the Tower at a high rate of knots. Bit like a cork out of a champagne bottle. The Air Traffic Controllers weren't overly impressed with this as it required them to duck under their desks, sometimes at very inopportune moments like when one had a full house in the their daily poker tournament.

An interesting aspect of the training undertaken at 230 OCU RAF Finningley in the early '60's was the ability of new pilots to undertake "asymmetrics". This initially necessitated the CFI shutting down the engines on one side of the aircraft and getting the pilot in charge to fly parallel to a line down the centre of the runway using max rudder. Once they got the hang of this it wasn't unusual for the CFI to fire off a hundred rounds or so from the Gatling gun to test their ability. This was banned when it was found that using the runway 02 direction the shells were coming uncomfortably close to RAF Bawtry, with one shell passing though the AOC Group's office window when he was in residence.

Beside having the responsibility of protecting the rear of the aircraft from enemy fire, on long missions the Rear Gunner ran the aircraft laundry. Should such a long mission be planned then one of the ECM cans was filled with warm sudsy water prior to the flight. The equipment mounted on the pointy bit at the end, often referred to as Red Steer was in actual fact a washing machine with the impeller blade easily being mistaken for a rapidly spinning antenna. By venting the relevant water containing ECM can into the radome after the addition of the crews clothing, enabled the crew to exit the aircraft on completing the mission with freshly laundered kit.

The AEO had control of the washing machine and was able to monitor their undies circulating around via his screen in a like manner to front loading machines of today. This practice was discontinued when female members of the crew became commonplace. If the front end crew forgot to send fresh coffee back at reasonable intervals then it wasn't unusual for the Rear Gunner to vent glycol into the washing machine instead of the sudsy water.

Whilst the laundry facility worked fine when Vulcans flew high altitude missions, once they changed to low level attacks in 1966, the ability to dry the clothes when the weather may have been inclement was a problem. A solution was found whereby the Rear Gunner was allowed to string a clothes line in the large bay immediately forward of his/her position. Occasionally when this was found necessary and if there was large white shiny object with fins in the way of the clothes line, it had been know for the Rear Gunner to jettison it to make more room. This, quite understandably, caused great consternation in Whitehall. Standard Operating Procedures were immediately amended specifying that any such jettisoning only took place overseas and never ever over the UK.

To be continued.......

BBadanov
27th Aug 2011, 04:59
We always wondered what the VFWs got up to.
In the US, VFW means Veteran of Foreign Wars. In the RAF, it meant something different... ;)

P6 Driver
27th Aug 2011, 10:24
It worries me that someone could spend time writing :mad: like this.

And it now worries me that I have spent time reading this :mad:.
Back to the cricket...
;)

Fox3WheresMyBanana
27th Aug 2011, 10:37
'Dagenham East'

as my taxi-driving brother would say.

(District Line, several stops beyond Barking, for the non-Londoners)

FantomZorbin
27th Aug 2011, 11:06
... I think I met the crew:
Capt. Seagoon
Co. Bloodnok
Nav Moriaty
Nav. Bluebottle
AEO Eccles
Gunner Gryptyte Thinn

El Grifo
27th Aug 2011, 11:20
Can't wait for part 2 !! :D

green granite
27th Aug 2011, 11:48
Excellent alisoncc looking forward to part 2. :D:D:D

airborne_artist
27th Aug 2011, 11:49
Someone's forgotten to take their tablets :}

PPRuNeUser0139
27th Aug 2011, 11:54
And wasn't it the first female crew members who had the anti-flash curtains on the flight deck replaced with some nice net curtains..? Sure I read that somewhere..:}

BEagle
27th Aug 2011, 13:34
If the front end crew forgot to send fresh coffee back at reasonable intervals....

As if anyone was in any doubt about the original post being anything but total gibberish, that quote confirmed it!

Fresh coffee in a Vulcan indeed......:rolleyes:

A2QFI
27th Aug 2011, 15:09
Maybe took some of the duff batches of Nurofen and finished up with something psychotic by mistake

PEI_3721
27th Aug 2011, 15:45
So during fighter-afil when the smoke appeared just before the climbing turns and there was twinkling flame further up the jet pipe, it was only a gun check, OK?
Or was this a test of the much suspected defensive laser system?
Which system accounted for the many bent pitot probes on the Lightning?

PPRuNe Pop
27th Aug 2011, 21:56
A bet that some of our revered readers will believe it. I just love the thought of someone chucking the brake chute out. Hilarious. ;):ok:

Get me some traffic
27th Aug 2011, 22:36
One dull day on RAF Gan I was checking the snow clearing equipment and a gatling gun wiped out 2 sno blowers. HQ38GP didn't believe us when we indented for two more. They said that we were only entitled to one.

SVK
28th Aug 2011, 00:34
Ahhh, FantomZ

It's been a while since I heard a bit of Goonshow banter.....

I was watching Thunderball this afternoon; I wonder what Little Jim would have to say about it all?

jamesdevice
28th Aug 2011, 00:49
wasn't the real reason that XA903 was fitted with the underslung Olympus 593 to provide space in the potentially empty engine nacelles for FOUR guns: two forward facing and two rearward?
Would have made a good night intruder.
All that stuff about it being for "Concorde trials" was just distraction to hide the truth

PS - wasn't XA903 used in "Thunderball"???

Landroger
28th Aug 2011, 13:26
To find out, you must travel to the street of a thousand households, to the Tea House of the August Goon, knock six thousand times and ask for Ah Pong.

Knock, knock, knock ..................

............knock, knock, KNOCK. (Panting)

"Are you Ah Pong?"

"Ah yes sir! We are Ah Pong until eleven o'clock!"

I'll get me coat. :D

ROger.

Siggie
28th Aug 2011, 13:37
Upton Park. (Two stops short of Barking.)

Brewster Buffalo
28th Aug 2011, 15:36
Another jet bomber with a rear gunner was the B-52. And even better he - Albert E Moore - managed to shoot something down with it! Namely a MiG 21 in December 1972 whilst attacking North Vietnam.

Scuttled
28th Aug 2011, 16:44
Anybody else fancy fielding that one......?

:cool:

engoal
28th Aug 2011, 17:04
"He's fallen in the water!"

dan eccles
28th Aug 2011, 17:06
allo, I was never on Vulcans as an AEO,I was a rear gunner on a milk float in Dagenham.

BOAC
28th Aug 2011, 18:11
I would have thought being a 'rear gunner' in those days would have been instant Courts-Martial?:)

SOSL
28th Aug 2011, 18:30
www.avrovulcan.org.uk/andy_leitch_vol4/386goose1.jpg

Proof of the lethal power of the rear gun!

goudie
28th Aug 2011, 18:42
I was an Instrument basher on Vulcans and I distinctly remember fitting one of these in the rear of the aircraft...I was posted shortly afterwards:confused:

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqEOKisE3yuiYygWBOFLMJq!kQ~~_12.JPG

alwayslookingup
28th Aug 2011, 22:33
The way I heard it was "doing an Upney" ie one station more than Barking

ORAC
29th Aug 2011, 06:55
Should such a long mission be planned then one of the ECM cans was filled with warm sudsy water prior to the flight. IIRC this proved of great value when the Vulcan was modified with a HDU for AAR.

As well as filling the receiver aircraft's fuel tanks, they were able to clean their windscreen as well.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
29th Aug 2011, 10:18
Aha, Goudie.... if I recall, it's the Mark III Oojimaflip. We had one in the outside loo, but the wheel fell off.

Shack37
29th Aug 2011, 10:24
I was an Instrument basher on Vulcans and I distinctly remember fitting one of these in the rear of the aircraft...I was posted shortly afterwardshttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/confused.gif

We shared a trade but, in my case, not on Vulcans. Pictures like that bring tear to the old eyes. T1 Bombsight anyone (another gem)

Flap 5
29th Aug 2011, 13:05
Barking? ... Completely! :}