PDA

View Full Version : Help! Need These Airplanes Identified for Project

V2-OMG!
27th Aug 2011, 00:47
I am working on a vintage-aviation project. I plan to show this film and want to hold a contest for those who can identify the airplanes.

Could you please view this clip and tell me what kind of airplanes they are? I recognize some, but not all.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

The Sawle Story: Part 2 - Captain North Sawle and his Backyard Airplane - YouTube

pigboat
27th Aug 2011, 02:52
There are a couple of Tiger Moths, the corrougated aluminum aircraft is a Junkers 34. The twins on floats are Barkley-Grows as is the twin cockpit shot. There is a Fokker Super-Universal in there, looks like CF-AAM. If so it was restored a few years ago and is now at the Alberta Aviation Museum. It did a tour a few years ago flown by my friend Bob Cameron of Whitehorse. CF-BAU is a Mk IV Norseman, one of only 4 or 5 built, as is BDG. CF-AKI is a Bellanca Pacemaker, the same one flown by Wop May that was used in the capture of the mad trapper of Rat River, Albert Johnson. CF-AWR is a Bellanca Aircruiser. I think it's the one being restored at the museum in the 'Peg. The other single monoplanes on floats and skis are Fairchild 71's.

V2-OMG!
27th Aug 2011, 03:50
Holey smokes, pigboat. I am impressed!

Thank-you so much for your help!

Big hug!

Planemike
27th Aug 2011, 11:56
No Tiger Moths, several deH 60 Moths.............

Planemike

Speedbird48
27th Aug 2011, 23:04
pigboat,

They are indeed Moths, but not Tigers. Note the upright cylinders and exhaust along the fuselage side..

There is a Fairchild at the begining.

Speedbird 48.

pigboat
27th Aug 2011, 23:14
Sorry guys, after I posted that I reaslized they were 60 Moths. As soon as I saw a deH biplane, I went to Tiger Moth default mode. :O

V2 check your PM's.

sixtiesrelic
28th Aug 2011, 10:04
From a quick look around...
The first looks like a Puss Moth.. the gull wing seperates it from a Leopard Moth.
At time 3:27 perhaps a DH 60 Giant Moth
At 2:57 Bellanca Peacemaker
CF-BDO Waco
CF-AMC Junlers 34 there is a Ju 13 which is the passenger version of the 34 freighter that was made.
CF-AKT Fairchild FC 2W2
CF- AM? Fokker Universal
CF AKI Bellanca Peacemaker
CF BAU Noorudyn Norseman

The two streamline silver floatplanes could be Lockheed 12As but I think they are Barkley Grows as Pigboat points out.

check out http://www.goldenyears.ukf.net/CoR-Canada.txt