PDA

View Full Version : CPL: training or a standard?

forever flying
26th Aug 2011, 10:17
Long story short, I recently met a fellow who expressed his idea that the CPL is not something that requires a full-time or even part-time training course to acquire, instead being a standard that you meet with theory subjects and the hour requirement.

It has got me thinking...would you believe this is true? Is there anyone who supports this concept and feel that apart from the theory subjects to study, it was just more flying hours in the book?'

FF

jas24zzk
26th Aug 2011, 14:18
well he is partially correct.

Study...........to a standard.
Hours............to a standard.

Once you have the above you are eligable to undertake the flight test.

Flight-test, to a standard.

I wish anyone who undertakes the flight test without further flight training all the best!

Any operator that permits you to undertake the flight test without evidence of CPL specific training is nothing more than a thief.

That being said, my understanding is that you require an instructor to reccomend you for the flight test, as is the norm with GFPT/PPL. So good luck getting signed there without further flight training.

Jas

Charlie Foxtrot India
26th Aug 2011, 15:54
You have to be signed off on the achievement record for the required competencies by an instructor and recommended for test by a CFI.
How much training is required to prove that competency and saitisfy the CFI depends on the individua but all units of the syllabus have to be consistantly to the CPL standard before being signed off by an instructor.
So, no, you can't just present yourself out of the blue to an ATO and get the test done!

Avgas172
27th Aug 2011, 02:50
CPL 150 Hour Sylabus:

• 50 hours dual training
• 70 hours as pilot in command
• 20 hours of cross country flight time as pilot in command
• 10 hours of Instrument flight time
• The student must also hold a Class 1 medical and have a pass in all CPL theory subjects prior to the flight test.

The completion of which is a permit, licence or certificate with which you may begin to attain the standard required to begin learning to be a Career Pilot. :suspect:

LexAir
27th Aug 2011, 22:53
The candidate need only hold a Class 2 medical to undertake a flight test. The Class 1 is only required to exercise the privileges of the CPL.