PDA

View Full Version : SKYTRADERS

d_concord
26th Aug 2011, 08:56
Notice Skytraders has some short-term positions for Airbus crew on their website. Does anyone know what they are like to work for?

drop bear ten
26th Aug 2011, 09:18
There was an article in a paper a few days ago stating they had been paid $12 million for a 3 month contract to have the A319 available for boat people charters. To date it has not turned a blade.

Not a bad gig if you can get a contract like that.....

d_concord
26th Aug 2011, 09:44
Not quite, there was another follow up article that said it was in fact a 12million budget and they had flown more than 70 flights carrying refugees in the last few months and some 4m spent so far.

Ovation
26th Aug 2011, 09:58
Dry Lease A319 would cost somewhere in the range of USD$200-$300K per month. Seems like a lot of headroom in the SkyTraders contract.

Your tax dollars at work?:ugh:

d_concord
26th Aug 2011, 10:11
Not sure about the numbers but according to their website it is not an ordinary a319. I suppose it depends on the number of hours they did. Christmas to anywhere is quite some way.

They appear to do some interesting and out there things and have been around for quite some time although you don't hear much about them either good or bad.

priapism
26th Aug 2011, 10:36
I think they do a fair few charters to the Antarctic base too.

717tech
26th Aug 2011, 12:26
Would this be the Airbus I heard on the radio up around Broome going into Curtin? Was around a month ago but I think "Snow Bird" was the callsign??

JMEN
26th Aug 2011, 13:15
Snow Bird going into Curtain, well thats kind of funny, did it melt?

:O

717tech
26th Aug 2011, 23:41
I did have a chuckle when I heard it on the radio. From what I could gather, it was going to Curtin then off to Hedland.

The Guru
27th Aug 2011, 01:47
Yep. Curtin - RAAF base, gets the government fuel. Drops a few refugees at the local detention centre, heads off to Australia's favourite point of entry to collect a few more.

zac21
27th Aug 2011, 02:13
Snowbird 2,,,,,,, a CASA 212

Walking Ballast
27th Aug 2011, 04:39
d concord - I have worked with, but not for the Skytraders guys, the guys I worked with were a slick crew, easy going and great to get along with, the company is a pretty good operation and the crews are really looked after. The head office for the company is in Bowral NSW. As far as I am aware they have an excellent safety record, only one small issue with a door ajar early in the year and clipped the airstairs on taxi, never heard the outcome.

The "Snowbird" is a modified 319LR, (flying fuel tank) and is on contract for the Australian Antarctic Division most of the Antarctic summer operating on the NZ to Mcmurdo (USA Antarctic Station) or Hobart to Casey Station (Wilkins ice runway) Antarctic. They also run 2 CASA 212's for intra Antarctic work of a summer. the crews I worked with are very professional, easy to get along with and enjoy their jobs.

I can tell you that the Antarctic flight departs Hobart around midnight local and takes between 5 and 5.5hr flight down weather depending, on the ice for between 1 and 2 hours and then return Hobart.

I did hear that to work on the 212's the guys paid a bond to the company and committed to a 5 year contract. This is to prevent people from going south for one season. There is a fair amount of training goes into the crew for ice and snow work.....not 100% on bond issue and I will stand corrected and apologize if I am wrong, best you make your own investigation to confirm.

If you are interested in working on the 319 then, yup, good company, good crew and the work is very interesting.

falconx
21st Dec 2012, 06:54
Second A319 (VH-VCJ) arrived via PHE yesterday direct from Europe

dodo whirlygig
21st Dec 2012, 09:18
Why were they on the ground in YPPD for better than 5 hours yesterday, seems quite a time to clear customs/immigration and take on some fuel?

ramble on
21st Dec 2012, 21:35
I phoned them once - wished I had not.

d_concord
22nd Dec 2012, 00:08
Ramble on,

I suspect they probably wished you hadn't as well. Evidently they are very particular who they employ.

Ran into some of their current pilots and some being assessed at the sim recently. The prospective pilots were given a ground course to do and then were doing three full sim sessions just as part of the assessment before Skytraders would make a job offer. All at Skytraders expense.

The current crew all seemed a pretty happy and tight bunch. From talking to them I was led to believe most of their pilots are long term with the company and they have virtually no turnover.

ringbinder
22nd Dec 2012, 03:42
Why were they on the ground in YPPD for better than 5 hours yesterday

A/c u/s. Some avionics/electrical issue.

tasdevil.f27
22nd Dec 2012, 07:15
They also run 2 CASA 212's for intra Antarctic work of a summer

The CASA 212's no longer used down here in Antarctica, Twin Otters & the DC 3 are now used by the AAD.

As Walking Ballast said, they are are good bunch to work with and most of them have been with the company a long time. The CASA pilots all stepped up to the A319 and seem pretty happy when they visit us.