PDA

View Full Version : Australian Heli News crew get the sack

mickjoebill
26th Aug 2011, 00:52
Three journalists lost their job yesterday after faking two "live crosses" from their news helicopter, which was hovering above the pad on one occasion and over a receiver site on another, rather than being over the news event. Two journos were sacked and their boss resigned in protest.
Pilot and cameraman still have their jobs.

Both occasions were at night and one occasion there was poor weather.
Given the fatal ABC helicopter accident just days before perhaps there is more sensitivity to flying at night?

According to reports it was a competitor's helicopter news team, Channel Seven, that reported the incident.:(
Apparently they were instructed to watch and shoot the Channel Nine helicopter during the newscast!
Did Seven have a tip-off?

I hope this incident does not put a wall between pilots of news helicopters.
It comes at a time when many media organisations involved with aerial filming in Australia are reviewing their aerial filming procedures and I would hope that any mitigating circumstances in this incident were taken into account by Channel Nine executives.

Mickjoebill

A Channel 9 journalist caught faking live helicopter crosses to the Daniel Morcombe search scene has blasted the network's decision to sack him as "totally unfair".
A sacked producer has also weighed in this morning, railing against "all the misinformation" currently in media reports.
Nine yesterday sacked two Brisbane journalists and a producer, while Queensland news director Lee Anderson resigned in the fall-out from the scandal.
The network said its decision to sack reporters Melissa Mallet and Cameron Price and producer Aaron Wakeley were necessary to retain viewers' trust after it was revealed two live helicopter crosses during weekend bulletins had been faked.
On two separate occasions viewers were told first Ms Mallet and then Mr Price were in helicopters near the Sunshine Coast. The aircraft was in fact on the station's Brisbane helipad on one occasion and circling the station's Mt Coot-tha studios on the other.
"We rightly demand accountability and high standards of others, and we must meet those expectations ourselves. Over the weekend, we did not," Nine Network Managing Director Jeffrey Browne said in a statement.
However, Mr Price last night took to Twitter to express his outrage at the sacking, raising the prospect of legal action.
He told his 1020 followers: "Thanks for all the support. I believe what happened today is completely unfair .. And I am seeking advice on the matter."
Mr Price also changed his personal description to: "Walkley and Clarion (Queensland Media Award) nominated Journo. With a clear conscience."
This morning, Mr Wakeley joined Mr Price in expressing his frustration publicly, also via Twitter, and saying he was seeking legal advice on the matter.
“Thanks for all the support,” he wrote.
“It has been a trying week. I’m stunned by what’s been allowed to happen, and all the misinformation."
He also wished Anderson, Mallet and Price all the best. “They are fantastic journos. Good luck to 9 news also. Keep smashing them,” he said.
In his statement Mr Browne said removing the staff had "drawn a very clear line in the sand" to ensure higher standards from staff in future.
"Our clear determination is to ensure that sort of conduct is never repeated," he said.
Last night, former Nine reporter Hugh Riminton revealed on Twitter that Mr Anderson, a 25-year veteran with the network, was "away from work" when the fake crosses were aired.
He claimed Mr Anderson had resigned in protest after staff were sacked.
However, Nine's statement quoted Mr Anderson's resignation letter, indicating he had taken responsibility for the behaviour of his staff.
“This morning I tender my resignation as Director of News accepting full responsibility for the events of the last few days. I have served this network to the best of my ability for almost 25 years. It has been a privilege and I wish the team all the very best,” the letter said.
Nine apologised to viewers during Wednesday night's bulletin after a Channel Seven camera on Sunday night recorded the chopper on the ground at Mt Coot-tha when news anchor Eva Milic crossed to Mr Price who was reportedly hovering above Beerwah.
At the time, the network blamed bad weather, however news soon emerged that Saturday night's cross had also been faked.
The statement also indicated all Nine staff would be given "further training on their editorial, legal and code obligations."
Ms Mallet also tweeted: "will miss the team dearly.. Thank you for the support, a very difficult day to fathom."

Channel 9 Journalist Cameron Price Fights Sacking (http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/clear-conscience-nine-journo-blasts-sacking-20110825-1jcbe.html)

Donalduck
26th Aug 2011, 02:31
I don't understand why this is considered unfair?

mickjoebill
26th Aug 2011, 04:29
I don't understand why this is considered unfair?

Because in Oz the commercial networks regularly engage in minor fakery:sad:

Mickjoebill

megle2
26th Aug 2011, 06:21
While we are on Brisbane, what were those 7 civil choppers flying over South Brisbane in a loose formation today doing at about noon?

rh200
26th Aug 2011, 07:29
Did Seven have a tip off?

Yea most likley from the nine chopper pilot when he told the sevens pilot, "hay you want to see this, you are never going to believe what these floggers are going to get me to do"

Pandalet
26th Aug 2011, 08:38
How does one have 1020 followers on PPRuNe? Or is someone confusing Twatter with Pr00n?

Edited because prune is apparently so sensitive, it'll silently edit out any mention of other internet thingies. Which explains why the above article doesn't make sense - I thought the journalist seemed to be more hung-up on the dried-fruit-like-internet-board-catering-to-aviation than usual!

Bravo73
26th Aug 2011, 09:54
How does one have 1020 followers on PPRuNe? Or is someone confusing Twitter with Proon?

I think you've guessed already but in this case, PPRUNE = tw1tter.

'Tis like L@ndrovers and trabants.

Donalduck
26th Aug 2011, 11:22
Just because they all do it don't make it right...

mickjoebill
27th Aug 2011, 08:09
No reports of reasons why they didn't make it over the locations.

Aviation, editorial, logistics management, budget related or....?

Mickjoebill

John Galt
27th Aug 2011, 21:28
thank god it wasn't anyone from that evil Murdoch Empire, ozzy left wing press would of had a field day.