PDA

View Full Version : The EK Screwtape Letters

Pixy
25th Aug 2011, 21:09
Anyone get a letter on the topic of fuel uplift? I presume 30% of our captains do every month according to what it says. I refer to the letter that somewhat libelously implies that professional integrity is in question because the recipient may be uplifting a bit too much fuel and this obviously impacts someone else's bonus.

At this point I will drop the popular term "Profit Share" as this implies some sort of equality basis is behind it. I can't really see how this can be if one declares a figure and then gives other multiples of this to various post holders in a company. Take it to the ridiculous conclusion: "A profit share of 1 dirham will be awarded to all, but there are a select few that are getting a multiplier of a million factored in for the excellent job they are doing". This somewhat skewed process causes some more senior post holders to take unbelievable actions like coming up with schemes to enhance this bonus whatever the consequences. Greed is a damaging motivator. We have seen whole countries wrecked by this phenomenon. I abhor it in the company that pays my wage and I have invested so much time and effort in.

Of course I am talking about the scheme to monitor, record and process data in order to take action on any captain who is in the top 30% of those uplifting any fuel above that nominated in the OFP in any month. Apparently these villains are frivolously taking far more fuel than anyone back on the ground actually thinks is necessary.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for saving fuel and not uplifting anything beyond what I think is appropriate for the circumstances. It’s good for my (factored by 1) bonus, the environment, fits in with my professional ethics and is of course what is required and entrusted to me by the company who clearly don't actually trust me quite as much as I believed. So much so that they take the statistics then send me a not so friendly letter, loaded with insinuation and menace. It troubles me even more that this also goes on my record and a statistical database which could be reviewed at some future date should they need to find evidence of a substandard performance. Big brother and his penchant for keeping statistics and data without worrying too much about what it all means.

It is this data collection that is now being used for justifying a bonus rather than necessarily furthering the interests of the company as a whole. Anyone collecting data where they can control what is included, what is left out and how it is processed can use this to prove almost anything. As Disraeli so eloquently put: There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics. In this case statistics are used show how the instigators of this poorly conceived scheme are driving down the additional fuel uplift decided by trained licensed, current and competent ( and real!) captains so they can proudly display this warped statistical showpiece to their superiors to empirically demonstrate their case for the disproportionate rewards they strive continuously to gain or justify. I think if someone gave me the free hand to cherry pick and process data, I could probably prove that I alone was saving millions for the company every year, or perhaps the 330 lot are better than the 777 bunch who in turn outperformed the 380 folk. I need not even adjust for weight; after all I get to chose how the data is processed. Now there's an idea. Who knows - perhaps it’s in the pipeline.

I think we can all see where this could lead. Maybe the next iteration could be based on not only what you uplift, but what you actually burn. Welcome to the world of excessive taxi speed and unstable approaches etc.

I've been in the company long enough to see various fuel saver programs wither and die. Essentially because the variables that need to be included in a network of this size to give meaning to the program are complex and eventually sensible managers who were not receiving bonuses any larger than anyone else, and most of who actually flew on the line, decided the negative consequences outweighed any benefit. No one conceived of insulting letters on company letterhead or data stored in perpetualis. Ah - the days of honour and integrity amongst professionals. Welcome to the morally bankrupt 21st century.

So what are the parameters that are fed into this Machiavellian piece of uninformed computer programming? Does anyone know? Are there bonus (pardon the pun) points if the fuel is actually used on the trip thereby avoiding a diversion or worse? I hear that if one uplifts on a tankering sector because the ZFW drops and more fuel can then be carried (as required) for the return that this actually counts against you! I must have got the wrong end of the stick on this one because I truly cannot believe we have been debased to this.

Nor do I remember being informed of this program and the factors on which it works. It might have been in my email I suppose. I make a valiant effort to separate that which I am required to know from the endless stream of self congratulatory, irrelevant or disinteresting digital garbage that arrives in my company email every day. I'm sure no one actually believes that any human could keep up with it all. It is all part of the lamentable culture of evading accountability by telling everyone everything in preparation to avoid blame in any eventuality. Playground rules: "I told Johnny Sir - It’s not my fault"

While I find it puerile that a company should attempt to define its employees worth by meaningless statistics, I don't actually care if I get spotlighted for carrying fuel into a monsoon covered airfield, or to deviate around large areas of weather, or cater for facts I know the dispatcher cannot know or appreciate. The alternative is far more frightening to explore.

I hope others don't care either and have the courage to air their views on the subject. I have taken off fuel where I can and put on where I feel the need is appropriate. Sometimes I've been wise and sometimes overcautious but at least I’m still here. I constantly reflect on my decisions and use experience as I gain it. I also know they must be tempered to cater for the assessment, knowledge and comfort of the others in the flight deck. I have probably flown with at least half the pilots in the airline and have yet to see one take any more that they believe is necessary. I have at times pointed out I think the choice is excessive and given my reasons, and at times accepted reasoning behind taking more. And if I take more, I work out exactly what I believe is needed not using the "slap on a couple of extra tonnes" formula. I do this, but so do 99% of my colleagues so why are 30% getting insulting letters?

So why write this epistle? Simply because I feel a dangerous precedent is being set for all the wrong reasons. And it is an entirely inappropriate way to attempt to bring down fuel burns. I haven't seen any attempt to publish scientific literature or examples of fuel usage or saving strategies in a flight profile, I haven't seen ground-school attempting to educate the thousands of company pilots in the carriage of fuel and the assumptions and risk factors and costs behind fuel uplifts. Surely if unnecessary fuel is being carried then it is a matter of education rather than malicious waste from the pilots? If there is a problem then time should be allocated and resources made available to train the crew, rather than supply a set of rules and some fragmented and woefully inadequate information in a few manuals while at the same time dragging the cane out of the cupboard again.

I guess this takes us right back to accountability.....

Plore
25th Aug 2011, 23:43
I was told one day that "you can never have enough fuel, unless your'e on fire" ...

White Knight
26th Aug 2011, 01:54
Pixy - Top post and so well put:ok:

EK_Bus Driver
26th Aug 2011, 03:42
Nicely put Pixy.

I also question their rationale in calculation methodology of; "you've loaded an average of "X" tons for the last "Y" number of flights and therefore cost the Company "Z" tons in burnt fuel" Did their analysis include the 15 -20 minutes I spent in the Desdi Hold the last 4 trips I've done?? Is this an average burn per Ton +/- ZFW or an actual Burn?? I have loaded additional discretionary fuel for a reason, one which I am entitled to for safety above all! Please don't give me a flight plan with thunderstorms enroute, at my Destination AND Alternate and no holding fuel in deepest darkest Africa!! I don't give a Rat's @rse if it's not "required" by the OM-A, it's not practical! Take a look at the Roster of the Person who signed the "Letter" and tell me how productive he is compared to a normal line Pilot. If we were seriously trying to save money; get all the Management Pilots back to "work", replace them with Clerks!

I have and I'm sure many others out there have loaded extra fuel and through judicious use of speed have stayed ahead of the "Pack" and thus avoided holding, especially into DXB at midnight, thereby SAVING the Company money! As one of the "30%" crowd myself, I must admit being questioned about my "Decision Making" skills (which have never been an issue in my SIM or Line Checks for the past 30 years!) quite insulting. This Company's management style is based on fear & intimidation "you're lucky to have a job etc..." My Decision is to take their Yellow piece of paper and file it with the others in the big green container out the front of my Villa! (with all the other Letters of intimidation). Considering all the fatigue, crap Rostering and decreasing standards of maintenance, training and morale, I for one will not be flying around MIN fuel!

Rant over!

Alconguin Crusader
26th Aug 2011, 05:30
Great post Pixy. The Emirates pilots group needs more pilots like you that are not afraid to stand up and state their mind. Keep it up!

Wizofoz
26th Aug 2011, 07:49
Yep, stupid.

PARTICULARLY when Ops will throw on another four tonnes seemingly with abandon.

Do the individual despatchers get letters if THEY put more average extra fuel than their colleagues?

slowjet
26th Aug 2011, 08:23
Excellent post Pixy. Fuel decisions and fuel management are two of the few areas where we are able to demonstrate our professional judgement. I thought the Mid East was awash with cheap fuel. Looks like the bonus criteria is the motivating factor here.

Mate of mine, like you, stood up for himself, long time ago, questioning the fuel policy of a bucket & spade operation he was forced to endure as a result of redundancy. He didn't last long. The other sheep, continued to fly around , cooking the books & making it all look legal. He once commented;"How I get from Departure to destination and arrive with more fuel than I left with, is a real mystery !!"

Joining a Mid East Operator, he was astonished with the lack of fuel awareness and was the only one to carry flight plan fuel on a regular basis because the company policy was so generous. He put that down to the price of cheap fuel but the policy existed at 'expensive' uplift points like Europe, too.

My worry is that you guys will be intimidated by this situation & will make a few risky calls in order to stay out of the 30% league. Be very careful out there & , possibly, try a group representation to fleet management in order to express your concerns. Of course it will fall on deaf ears if the same management are bonus orientated. What a dreadful Industry we are now having to suffer.

Schibulsky
26th Aug 2011, 09:21
Please don't blame the dispatchers for the lack of common sense, it is not encouraged and even the wording "suggest extra fuel for..."is not allowed by order of TCAS. Instead they just have to plan minimum and write "consider extra fuel for..."
The DDM (if they have enough balls) could authorize extra fuel but why should they stick their head out...so they normally leave it to the better paid PIC...:p

Oceanic
26th Aug 2011, 09:56
I don't mean to come across virtuous nor do I tow the company line, but having been a skipper for 8 years, I have always taken what I consider that I need, and have never had such a letter. I also fly the smallbus to all the higher risk routes with plenty of weather around, and when I load the extra fuel just write a short couple of words annotation to the PLOG as required. Compared with a couple of years back I think they are being quite generous with fuel now. I do, however, think that whoever is making the decisions on extra fuel hasn't a clue as, on occasions, there is clearly no need and at other times there is. Little consistency in the decision making. I do also think that Met forecasting is wildly inaccurate in these parts. Quite often these days given a couple of tonnes extra to hold in addition to contingency which makes it comfortable and I will happily carry it without recourse. I have a long list of other gripes, but not current fuel policy.

falconeasydriver
26th Aug 2011, 10:12
Superb post Pixy, and for my world view, right on the money, however...
As a lowly "unable to form an opinion unless its given to me" F/O here at EK a few things stand out regarding letters, fuel tables etc etc such as this.
First things first, its their train-set, sure you assume responsibility when you accept the aircraft and dispatch etc, but its their train-set, so for me, regardless of professional pride, ego, experience and all those other loaded words, the fact is they own the keys to the things, so I play by their rules.
Secondly, whats wrong with asking for a new flight plan if your not happy? just make sure you can justify your query/request.
If guys are so concerned about getting a letter that questions your decision making, then perhaps that shows a lack of maturity when it comes to being able to accept that everything we do is analyzed from the comfort of Costa and its done of course with the singular benefit of 20:20 hindsight.
Guys like TCAS exist everywhere, they thrive in a rule based environment, they derive satisfaction from observing the normal amongst us squirm and pontificate when we are in essence put on the spot regarding our decision making process and outcome.
The great thing about all this rule based behaviour is that its completely self serving and manageable, i.e. use the rules to your own advantage, not theirs.
I won't expand any further on that purely because why should I help the rule makers make my life harder? but if you don't want to feel under-pressure, think a little more laterally when it comes to how rules are applied.
As an example, I used to fly with a guy in a previous airline who whenever he carried more than plog fuel he made sure to fire off an email to anyone who would listen as to why he did it, sure it pissed a few off, but it created an audit trail, and it showed beyond any reasonable doubt that he had considered his decision rather than say throwing on 4 tonnes "for the wife, kids, girlfriend etc"
Like I said, I'm a lowly F/O, I couldn't possibly imagine how galling it is to have your decisions and even your authority questioned.

millerscourt
26th Aug 2011, 10:13
falconeasydriver

Are not all F/O's lowly? Don't feel too bad about it as you are in good company:p

disconnected
26th Aug 2011, 12:21
Superb post Pixy.

Imagine the credibility and impact if we could all contain our comments to relevant issues, written coherently and without the thread being diluted by bickering and childish comments.

I have no problem with the fuel policy but like Pixy, I do object to the data being collected especially as we have never been told this was going to happen or how the system works. If it is being stored as part of your personal profile then this begs the question of what else is being recorded without our knowledge. Shouldn't we then have the right to see this on our own HR profile like productivity, sick days, etc. ?

Seems to be legally questionable, but I'm not a lawyer. What else are they keeping records on? Our DNA?

I personally have never recieved a letter and would be seriously offended if I did. Like everyone else I take fuel if I need it and won't if I don't

If they want control on this then take the decision away from us entirely but at the same time take on the responsibility. I will land if I think I need to or not go at all if I can't persuade them to put more on.

They probably want this decision. This is the way of doing it while still being able to blame someone else if it doesnt work out well.

TOGA Thrust
26th Aug 2011, 12:33
How The Selfish Avoid Responsibility

Relieved of the demands of integrity and sincerity the selfish excel in manipulating those they encounter by using techniques they have been practicing since early childhood. For it was by fooling parental authority that they learnt how to indulge their wants while avoiding penalty for their crimes.

Quote.

Wizofoz
26th Aug 2011, 12:40
Please don't blame the dispatchers for the lack of common sense, it is not encouraged and even the wording "suggest extra fuel for..."is not allowed by order of TCAS. Instead they just have to plan minimum and write "consider extra fuel for..."

You're out of touch, Schil.

Dispatchers are putting extra fuel on regularly, often much more than seem reasonable.

Good for them. What i don't get is why their judgement is supposed to be so much more reliable than mine...

Schibulsky
26th Aug 2011, 15:11
Apart from your annoying habit of using every post for a personal attack you probably also don't bother to read the comments on the CFP. Dispatchers would normally write something in case they calculated extra fuel.
Any extra fuel that they put on is either authorized by the DDM or ordered by the VP-NCs (the artists formerly known as SMNCs) for "operational reasons".
Anyway, I posted this only to keep you guys from criticizing the dispatchers, they are preparing an increasing amount of flight plans without authority and the proper time to make these decisions for you...and some PICs complain about too much fuel, others complain about no extra fuel, so why should they bother anyway.:sad:

Wizofoz
26th Aug 2011, 15:58
Schib,

How is pointing out things have changed since you left annoying? YOU have the annoying habit of talking authoritatvley about a Company you no longer work for and have a chip on your shoulder about.

Here were your words:-

Instead they just have to plan minimum and write "consider extra fuel for..."

This has changed significantly recently, and we are OFTEN given extra fuel.

you probably also don't bother to read the comments on the CFP. Dispatchers would normally write something in case they calculated extra fuel.

Yes I do- "For holding due peak arrival" is a favourite- 1:30 BEFORE the 1am peak!

I'm NOT critisizing the dispatchers, and any time they want to give me extra fuel, that's fine. But so is any time I want to give me extra fuel.

26th Aug 2011, 20:31
company policy is minimum fuel if i remember correctly

why do we put on extra? because we want to land at our destination if the forecast is not that good or we suspect (and know) traffic is a problem.

that does not seem to be the companies view when sending out fuel-letters (yes i got one too)

just load minimum in the future and divert if you run out (don't commit to destination just because oma says so, have a really good reason to commit)

there is another one:
try not to use discretion and park an aircraft because in your opinion it is not safe to operate beyond your duty limit, that should be fun! (actually no it isn´t, i have done that too)

intimidation full scale, to bad really, it could be a great company to work for, so sad

Schibulsky
27th Aug 2011, 07:49
Wizzybaby, I might not be working there anymore but I am still more in touch with EK dispatch than you have ever been. Just your comment about the extra fuel for peak arrival, that is NOT decided by dispatch but ordered by the VP-NC, shows you have no effing clue about the decision making at the OCC.
So you think TCAS now authorizes the individual dispatcher to add extra fuel? Fat chance dude...that decreases his own fat bonus!
Btw. that was one of the reasons I quit this clown show, so why should I have a chip on my shoulder about it? :ugh:
Maybe YOU should stop talking authoritatively about something you really know sh!t about...:=

Wizofoz
27th Aug 2011, 08:11
Schib,

If that's the case, I appologise and stand corrected.

Your initial post seemed to indicate you thought no extra fuel was being added, which was true when you were here, but isn't now.

I still, however, don't see your point. What difference does it make who orders the extra fuel as long as it makes it to the plan? The point of the thread is that Pilots are being admonished for taking extra fuel, when we are having extra fuel added by others with seemingly no accountability.

And do you really contend you have no hard feelings towards an airline you refer to as a "Clown outfit"?

Schibulsky
27th Aug 2011, 08:30
Wiz, thanks for your understanding:ok:
It is really a difference who makes the decision about extra fuel. It was the job of qualified dispatchers who work together with the PICs for a proper fuel planning. Now there are lots of "clowns" like AAR and TCAS who meddle with that and both dispatchers and pilots are now not working on a reasonable solution but on a compromise between sense and company pressure...a pretty sad situation and something I couldn't stand...I rather feel sorry for the guys involved than having hard feelings...anyway, that is the general trend in aviation nowadays...:ooh:

fourgolds
28th Aug 2011, 00:01
Single engine taxi is also a farce . How many shut one down just a second before stopping on stand , just to tick the box , to " comply"

As for the letters , if you have one you have a wonderfull arrow in your quiver. Lets see you run low on fuel into somewhere requiring a fuel emergency . The subsequent regulating authority investigates , only for you to produce your letter of intimidation. Hold onto those letters boys and girls, they may well count in your favour.

Pixy
29th Aug 2011, 13:39
Let’s say we have 2 companies, Company Alpha and Company Bravo. Bravo wants to buy Alpha so looks into what it’s worth. Its assets minus its liabilities come to a NTA (Net Tangible Assets) of 1 billion. However company Bravo is prepared to pay 1.5 billion because of what they believe Alpha is potentially worth. The extra 0.5B has to go onto the balance sheet somewhere. Simplistically it goes down as Branding, Intellectual Property or Goodwill. Intangible Assets that then remain on the balance sheet.

Quote: Wikipedia:

Intangible assets are defined as identifiable non-monetary assets that cannot be seen, touched or physically measured, which are created through time and/or effort and that are identifiable as a separate asset. Human capital is the primary source of competitive intangibles for organizations today. Competitive intangibles are the source from which competitive advantage flows, or is destroyed.

The point here I think is that not everything can be simplistically priced or accounted. Even revaluation of tangible assets is difficult and subjective. There is more to both companies and their own personnel than simply meets the eye on a balance sheet or spreadsheet. Simple numbers and statistics are not the whole story.

Also it becomes apparent that it is easy to damage these Non Tangible aspects of a company – and not only on the balance sheet. A company could easily damage its brand name by producing an inferior product so the brand name was not taken so seriously. This could have direct impact on the balance sheet next time the company is bought or sold.

I believe while it is incumbent for any influential post holder to ensure a company remains profitable and even increase profitability, that post holder also has to take very seriously what impact any decision has on the Intangible Assets of the company and the intangible aspect of employees.

Motivation is one example. If decisions are taken that either motivate or demoralize the employees, the savings or costs of this are very difficult to quantify. What savings to a company for many employees prepared to make the effort to go the extra mile in areas that they can? Who can say what pushing for shortcuts and direct routings actually saves compared to simply flying the airways as laid out on the chart and OFP. Or the employee that works a little longer to ensure a job is completed with panache rather than the bare minimum necessary to comply. Even enthusiastic talk from employees can encourage their peers to pick up their game and that can have positive impacts in many areas.

Likewise demoralization can have enormous impacts. A few disgruntled employees can cause a lot of unnecessary damage whether through sheer disinterest and apathy or deliberate low level mischief. In history motivated groups have literally moved mountains, disgruntled groups have started wars. And there is the whole spectrum in between.

To attempt to prove or define all aspects of the company and its people by collection of data is a ridiculous notion. The notion that complex beings of this nature can be defined as such shows a lack of understanding and immaturity. Sure, statistics are useful but only if they are obtained correctly with an intention to prove or show something in an unbiased manner, while considering its shortfalls with regard to the entire picture. If statistics are used to justify a position or prove an agenda they become downright dangerous and destructive and pose a grave threat to the company and its shareholders and stakeholders alike. It is incumbent of both these parties to understand and question the validity of this data and ultimately its usefulness.

We are all stakeholders in our company. As are our families, our passengers, the people we fly over, the environment we operate and the businesses that depend on our business.

It amuses me when I hear managers defend their decisions citing that they are responsible to the shareholders for profitability. Clearly they have misunderstood their directive. They are actually responsible to both, morally and legally. The impacts of decisions are far reaching and not always measurable on some spreadsheet.

Shareholders bang the table for bigger and bigger profits. Stakeholders are usually the ones who have to make the sacrifices to ensure this happens with managers in between facilitating this process by being disproportionately rewarded for this task. Demanding more hours, more work more responsibility, diminishing returns.

Where does it all end? Do our kids wind up working for mega corporations that sap every joyous hour out of life, to placate insatiable shareholders, while our children toil well beyond the hours for which they are paid?

While it may suit the financial agendas of individuals to ignore their Corporate Responsibilities by squeezing the unreasonable from the stakeholders, it is up to all of us to make them accountable and responsible for their actions. It serves no one but themselves if they are not.

Besides we owe it to our children.

givemewings
29th Aug 2011, 13:59
Please CC the above to Joyce, Alan, care of Qantas. :ugh:

Hopefully the managers of which we speak are a lot smarter over the next few years than he's been in the last 5 or so.

TOGA Thrust
29th Aug 2011, 15:10
Another great post Pixy.
Doubt our managers will take any notice tho. They will be gone with their gains before they have to worry about responsibilites

halas
29th Aug 2011, 18:38
The letter l received this month (one of two - the other regarding my health, but that is another laugh) suggested a "vast improvement" in fuel decision management compared to other comparable flights.

It appears those other comparable flights never got held down or held at destination as we were. Good on them.

So l expect a "VAST IMPROVEMENT" on how you monitor fuel uplift!

So indirectly - up-yours! And "Yours" knows who you are :)

halas

trimotor
30th Aug 2011, 13:11
Just a couple of minor points:

1. Despite the highly vocal assertions above to the contrary, we have been told our fuel uplift performance is monitored -many times. Even to the point where it was suggested, when we had a separate line check department, that the anual line check debrief would include being given a view of weher our own fuel uplift performance fitted with the rest of the captains.

2. Also, depste what was written above about how Dispatch just put XX tons extra on, I have noted that this is not so: routinely, the fuel is NOT an even number of tons and related, for DXB midnight arrivals, a calculated amount; often 20 mins at 10k'.

I load what I want, and how much I think I need, and a note on the OFP/VR regarding me decision has so far avoijded any response.

On a coiuple of instances I have called dispatch to discuss why extra (i.e. 6T) weas loaded for a particular destination , when the weather was fine..only to be told I could take it off if I wanted. After my thought I left the fuel on - if a dicvert resulted and I had offloaded the fuel I am sure it would ba MY fault...one thing is for sure: you will get a 'please explain' if you don't have enough fuel!

TM

Pitch Up Authority
30th Aug 2011, 23:20
Why do you not ask for a dripstick crosscheck on arrival and scare the hell out of them.

sheikhmahandy
31st Aug 2011, 07:30
While I was recently 'negotiating' with dispatch (to the amusement of a newly hired first officer), that the flight I was operating required further fuel consideration, they told me that they had also received 'nasty' letters from management on high.

Dispatch are also under pressure to minimise fuel uplift and maximise profit even when common sense dictates the flight should have more fuel!:ugh:

Initially, the 'fuel letter' offended me as a professional, then it made me angry and negative. :mad:

However, I have used the experience to motivate me, and I am attending an interview next month so I suppose I should say thank you to the management style that promoted this culture. :=

Pixy, great post!!:D

fatbus
31st Aug 2011, 07:54
Sheikh,

I think you mind find that will be a trend. I have dusted off the CV a few months ago .

Pitch Up Authority
31st Aug 2011, 08:46
Write to ECA, EASA and the FAA.

They will respond that it is out of their jurisdiction but at least when something happens in their jurisdiction you will never be the only one that gets the blame.

40&80
31st Aug 2011, 10:09
Pixy post 28 para.4 was exactly what Gulf Air achieved when this management policy was introduced on the L1011 fleet.
I will spare you the details but the company just went forever downwards from that day forth....to achieve to days result.

ruserious
31st Aug 2011, 11:19
Just had a look at the Seniority list, which I keep a xls copy of every year.
The most junior pilot on Sept 1st last year was #2417, his position on the list as of today is #2327 so it looks like 90 pilots junior to him have left in the last year.

Also looks like the total increase in pilot numbers in the last year is about 350, is that enough with all the big plans?

woodja51
31st Aug 2011, 12:37
Actually I got a fuel letter and a "you are too sick letter"...never worried much about the fuel letter - now I just take company fuel.. note on VR if the engineers over fuel it etc and when I ask the FOs how much they want .. after they go thru the machinations justifying extra I say sorry - I agree with you but hey , if we divert or need to call a pan of min fuel.. so be it..sounds stoopid and poor CRM but I know I wont run out of fuel - just wont be where we planned and told the pax we were going.... and the day after I get a flight that took so much extra fuel due fog ( that didnt happen!) I had to use the boards and descend early etc to get below MLW... go figure.. that was 500 kgs of wasted tactical decisions to save gas...
maybe a better metric on sickness might be hours flown per sick day or V/V? that way it would reflect work done for illness achieved? not much point having sick days if you dont go to work - like office guys etc...not that I envy them that ... manage what you measure but measure it correctly - AKA HEISENBERG UNCERTAINTY PRINCIPLE..

Pixy has some of the best posts I have ever read BTW.

Luckyguy
31st Aug 2011, 12:49
I think you may mean that 90 pilots above him on the list have upped sticks and scarpered if he's moved UP the "seniority".

Unless EK's list defies gravity.

Craggenmore
31st Aug 2011, 17:47
How much "extra" fuel does it take to get a letter..?

No "figures" have been given in any posts.

Abbey Road
31st Aug 2011, 21:05
From Pixy's post I get the impression that it is the top 30% of Captains who uplift more than flight plan fuel, rather than an actual fuel amount. An arbitrary cutoff of the top 30% on the list. Perhaps Pixy, or one of the other letter recipients can confirm that?

Overall, Pixy's posts are remarkably well formed and observant of company behaviour. I have really enjoyed reading them! I don't work for EK, but I do work for a 'favourite headline', which exhibits some remarkably similar behaviour to EK. My favourite quotes amongst Pixy's erudite words:

I make a valiant effort to separate that which I am required to know from the endless stream of self congratulatory, irrelevant or disinteresting digital garbage that arrives in my company email every day. I'm sure no one actually believes that any human could keep up with it all. It is all part of the lamentable culture of evading accountability by telling everyone everything in preparation to avoid blame in any eventuality.Shareholders bang the table for bigger and bigger profits. Stakeholders are usually the ones who have to make the sacrifices to ensure this happens with managers in between facilitating this process by being disproportionately rewarded for this task. Spot on, Pixy! :D

K9
2nd Sep 2011, 20:31
"I find it puerile that a company should attempt to define its employees worth by meaningless statistics.."

Couldn't agree more!