PDA

View Full Version : Valiant Refuelling Picture

Fareastdriver
25th Aug 2011, 18:39
In the early sixties a picture was painted by a well known artist for 90 Squadron at Honington. Basically it was a view from the cockpit when refuelling from another Valiant. Apart from a small error on the Zero Reader control box it was an excellent illustration.

The picture was hung by the squadron in the officers mess at Honington. I was there a few years ago and the RAF Regiment officers had no idea where it was so I would suspect that it migrated up to Marham when the Victor B1s moved up in 1965 and is displayed there.

Can somebody confirm this for me and pass me the details of the artist. The reason is that I want to see if I can get a copy of it, nothing else, I promise, to use in a book.

Whopity
25th Aug 2011, 18:47
The artist may have been David Shepherd (http://www.davidshepherd.com), he painted a number of AAR pictures involving both the Valiant and the Victor. In about 1970 he returned to Marham where the BBC made a film about his V-Force Paintings. I seem to recall the picture you describe was in the Mess at Marham.

Fareastdriver
25th Aug 2011, 19:51
Thanks. I thought it was him. I've sent them an email to see what they can do.

Sir George Cayley
25th Aug 2011, 20:34
Shepherd's aviation paintings are not as well known as his other work in the wider public, but nevertheless he has mastery of his subject.

SGC

Tankertrashnav
25th Aug 2011, 21:29
I dont recall that one at Marham. There was a really terrible one of Valiants on the ground where the artist had got the shape of the aircraft all wrong (definitely NOT a David Shepherd). It was tucked away discreetly in some back corridor. Victor Tanker captain Mike Lees did some excellent aircraft and steam locomotive paintings (but no elephants as far as I know)!

kiwibrit
25th Aug 2011, 21:58
I think I remember that picture at Marham in the late 60s - IIRC a night picture - but I could be wrong - memories dim with time!

Whopity
26th Aug 2011, 07:46
There was a really terrible one of Valiants on the groundThat was originally in the back bar and needed burning, it was later moved to a less noticeable location. Someone donated it to the Mess.IIRC a night picture Thats as I remember it in the main corridor. I remember meeting David Shepherd in the Mess when the BBC made their film. The Valiant outside Ops had a probe, but the refuelling pipe was missing, so they added a length of drain pipe off one of the hangars when they did the filming, it was miles too long!

Alloa Akbar
26th Aug 2011, 08:08
Fareastdriver - Might be worth a phone call to Cobham Aviation Services at Hern Airport, speak to one of the Business Development guys. CAvS have some brilliant artwork on the walls of the office block which are relics from Flight Refuelling (Ironically FRL DON'T have such art work in their building at Wimborne), I can't say with any certainty that the Valiant pictures they have is the one you are after but they might be able to help you source it??

AA

Fareastdriver
26th Aug 2011, 09:06
Seems it was at Marham at one time. The clue is the people remembering it as a night picture; which it was, the wing floodlights being a noticeable part of the picture.

It must be traceable, it was too big to get under a raincoat. Anybody know how to get hold of the Mess Secretary, or whatever they are called these days?

ColinB
26th Aug 2011, 10:00
Do you think a fly by night merchant may have had it away.
Any Shepherd painting is worthy of pursuit.

Whopity
26th Aug 2011, 10:21
Media and Communications Officer Telephone: 01760 446092
main switchboard on (01760) 337261 and ask for the Operator.