PDA

View Full Version : Question: Why are copilot endorsements considered `on the nose`?

sheppey
25th Aug 2011, 13:52
With airline recruiting increasing in OZ and endorsement training at candidates expense, why do operators demand command endorsements when a copilot endorsement is sufficient to be a first officer? Seems illogical to require a copilot candidate with maybe only 250 hours TT to fly in command of a high capacity type.

yowieII
25th Aug 2011, 14:05
I would guess that whilst pretty much the same endo, the company would then have to go thru a command endo when and if you upgraded, so extra sims etc:}

The Green Goblin
26th Aug 2011, 00:56
You can't log ICUS with a copilot endorsement.

That would defeat the plans of many of the airline execs.

Regional airlines and small GA companies often give copilot endorsements. It's a way of keeping you from moving on to greener pastures, and putting up with bad T&Cs. The opposition who operate that Metro or Kingair won't hire you until it's a command endorsement. They don't want to fork out money to get you up to speed. They want you for nothing, or at their oppositions expense.

A company I worked for a while back only gave copilot endorsements. That way they knew you'd stick around to become a Captain and gain a command endorsement, or if you left, you would not be able to compete against them on the same type. Many companies are reluctant to hire you with a copilot endorsement.
It's a funny world this aviation game.

ReverseFlight
26th Aug 2011, 04:27
I thought the only addition for a command endo over and above a co-jo's is performing an RTO from the left-hand seat ? Correct me if I am mistaken.

Slasher
26th Aug 2011, 05:19
Copilot endorsements were invented by DCA in the late '50s
(or early 60s) as a means to stop command-licenced pilots
appointed as FOs from running away to such airlines as CX.

Globally a copilot endorsement is crap, and the hours useless
as tits on a bull. Taking the P1 rating will stand you in good
stead for any future offshore opportunities.

Old Akro
26th Aug 2011, 07:57
Slasher. That's exactly how I remember it. But I thought they were dropped here as part of the ICAO alignment.