PDA

View Full Version : aviation paint bust?

Ellemeet
25th Aug 2011, 13:32
it seems that Aviation Paint in Bournemouth went bust.

who to turn to now for a wicked good job?

proudprivate
25th Aug 2011, 14:06
From Amsterdam, I would suggest Transal at Midden-Zeeland. I thought an English bloke was running the paint shop ?

But I guess that was not the point you were making...

toptobottom
25th Aug 2011, 14:45
Edmondson aviation based at Thruxton - just finished my ship and did an EXCELLENT job :ok:

jxk
25th Aug 2011, 16:00
toptobottom - I second that!

Curlytips
25th Aug 2011, 16:05
Colton Aviation at Little Staughton have been at it for years. Not the cheapest, but superb. Had 2 done there and still winning Concours d'Elegance competitions. Recomended them to many people and they've always been satisfied. If you want a phone number pm me - or you should find at back of Pilot magazine.:ok:

smarthawke
25th Aug 2011, 20:22
Mick Allen of Mick Allen & Son Aircraft Resprays (http://www.allenaircraftresprays.co.uk/) at Turweston did my last aircraft, about 20 aircraft I maintain/maintained and will do my new one (once its flown).

IO540
25th Aug 2011, 20:36
Out of interest, isn't there (as with cars) a wide spectrum of practices in aircraft resprays?

For example, to do it properly they need to strip off all electrics from the wings. Remove all fittings, inspection covers, etc. Then rub down to bare metal. Then alochrome (or something like that) to restore the aluminium skin surface oxide.

I can see a lot of people skipping a lot of this. Especially paint around rivets, which you can't really ever remove fully, short of chemical stripping but you don't want to do that.

It's obvious that a proper respray is going to be a massive job. Everything has to come out so you have just an empty shell.

Sir George Cayley
25th Aug 2011, 20:38
Murray Flint.

SGC

toptobottom
25th Aug 2011, 20:50
IO540 - Edmondsons did just that. It took all paint off, fixed any dings and started again. I even had photos regularly emailed to me during the entire process. Great job, great value and great people :ok:

Pace
25th Aug 2011, 20:56
CJBoy

We have probably bumped into each other at Kinch as that is one of my regular haunts :)
I believe their paintshop is the most sophisticated advanced shop in Europe.
They re did the stripes on the Citation I fly! Do they do light pistons too?

Pace

Ellemeet
4th Dec 2011, 20:56
Ě picked up my commander at Edmondson

really nice people who really did a fantastic job!!

I would recommend them anytime!:D

Ultra long hauler
6th Dec 2011, 01:23
We really need some pictures in this thread……….

###Ultra Long Hauler###

A and C
6th Dec 2011, 06:21
If I was good enough with posting computers I would post the photos of my aircraft at Mick Allen's stripped of all paint and corrosion free.

As said above it takes a lot of work to get the corrosion out of an airframe so much so that it is not unknown for the paint strip to expose damage that will write of an old aircraft.

stickandrudderman
6th Dec 2011, 07:08
I was surprised to learn that even in today's economic climate Mick Allen is choosy about what work he takes on. I guess that's a good sign!