PDA

View Full Version : Vulcan Arrivals and The Jet Entry Point

BSweeper
24th Aug 2011, 16:11
In the 60s I used to watch Vulcans over Mablethorpe arriving into the Lincoln clutch contrailing at high level and wondering how they were going to get down in time. Later when going through Nav training at Finningley, the Dominie's used to arrive at high level via the Jet Entry Point (Flamborough I think).
My question(s) are: Did the Vulcans have a similar JEP and where was it? Why did FY have a JEP (was it training or an ATC thing)?

Yellow Sun
24th Aug 2011, 17:07
There was a procedure based on the OTR Tacan; including a cheeky little range arc; that routed aircraft to the Hibaldstow Datum from where you were given vectors for Waddington, Scampton or Finningley. IIRC the procedure started North of OTR (not a million miles away from Flamborough!) until you turned right to intercept the 26nm(?) range arc. You continued on the arc until about the 240r from where director took over.

No doubt someone out there, with a better memory than me will provide chapter and verse.

YS

taxydual
24th Aug 2011, 17:25
I have a feeling that the Flamborough JEP for FY was something to do with the old Blue 1 airway, (either crossing or ducking underneath) for the Dominie stream approaches for (in my day) RWY 21.

Lima Juliet
24th Aug 2011, 18:13
Finningley?

Surely a RADAR homing to F'boro Head, followed by Goole-Drax-Selby on the EKCO-190 backed up by the ADF (and the 12 point tuning cycle)?

Oh, and followed by "at ten past and twenty to, that is when the Bus is due" trip into Donny for a different kind of Nav exercise at the DRI...;)

LJ

MPN11
24th Aug 2011, 18:14
Waddo aircraft would usually be handed over from Northern Radar [Lindholme] on the drop, pointing at Hibaldstow. From there onward, Approach/Director would attempt to avoid the swarms of JPs and puddle-jumpers north of Lincoln, and feed into something resembling a "safe and orderly flow of Air Traffic" in the mayhem that was Lincs airspace in the early 80s.

Approaches to EGXP rw 21 were preferred, as it got the guys on the ground faster. Dragging things around to 03 meant fighting for space/altitudes with Cranwell Director, who was invariably [less than] helpful. :p

As for the rest of them ... whatever. The Waddington Wing ruled the airspace [in theory] :cool:

Whopity
24th Aug 2011, 19:36
I think JEP was a Training Command term associated with the Dominie. Before Finningley, 2ANS at Stradishall used a JEP somewhere near Litchfield. You may recall that it was always short of fuel and attempting to do trips that were long enough to be of navigational use. I am sure it was a comfort point for the pilots who knew that from the JEP they had just enough fuel to descend, MAP and off to the diversion, and were not reliant on the guys down the back. Also the aircraft operated in streams of up to 8 aircraft and it provided some degree of co-ordination for the return.

BEagle
24th Aug 2011, 20:10
For RW23 at Sunny Scampton, we descended to the 'Hibaldstow datum' (a disused aerodrome) which was at 238/19 from the OTZ TACAN. Target height at Hibaldstow was 2500ft QFE. Then change to Stud 16, descend to 2000ft on a heading of 140° before being vectored on a heading of about 190° to the localiser, changing to Stud 17 for GCA monitoring.

BSweeper
24th Aug 2011, 23:20
Leon

Absolutely right. All to do do with radar nav training via those wonderfully huge power stations in the area but with a wonky radar! I didn't know that everyone else cheated with the ADF - I didn't I'm sure. No wonder I didn't get onto Vulcans (thank God!).

BS

BSweeper
24th Aug 2011, 23:41
Beags

Memory as always top notch and thanks. But at what alt did you cross the coast inbound to Hibaldstow? And therefore, what rate of descent?

BS

fergineer
24th Aug 2011, 23:48
And even worse for the baby Eng controlling the pressurisation in manual and the instructor with his foot on that valve..... Ahhhhhh good old days.

ExAscoteer
24th Aug 2011, 23:53
Finningley?

Surely a RADAR homing to F'boro Head, followed by Goole-Drax-Selby on the EKCO-190

In my day as a Dom Driver, the Flamborough Head homing was used outbound on the Basic Dom Module. Inbounds were via Goole, having 'planned' the descent to be below B1.

The sporty high level Inbound was the Pole Hill Recovery - which was fun for me but maybe less so for the Baby Navs!

fergineer
25th Aug 2011, 00:12
Dunno how that worked Ex I was replying to your post.

2Planks
25th Aug 2011, 04:42
As I recall the Jet Entry Point for Finningley was just off Newcastle (Flamborough was for outbounds). However, in 86 only a few of the gentleman aviators on the Dom used it, I suspect that it was a term from a previous era. However, it was definitely followed by a Radar Scope and Compass to Goole (or Drax or the other blob whose name I have forgotten) and an ADF homing to the FY, all completed backwards and with the faint whiff of sweat, fear and rakosan (sp?) that was the Dom!

PPRuNeUser0139
25th Aug 2011, 04:45
You conjured that up so well that I need a beer now!

2Planks
25th Aug 2011, 08:04
Sidevalve - I'll join you on the 191 for a trip down memory lane although they have renumbered the bus routes - no sense of history in the people's Republic.:ok: