PDA

View Full Version : MOD Medal Office

standrews
24th Aug 2011, 15:57
How can it be right that a serving police officer can forge his deceased mothers signature to fraudulently claim for his late fathers medal and then receive it from the MOD Medal Office. When the Medal Office were informed of the fraudulent claim, they ignored the situation and decided it to be a private matter, even though their own policy clearly states that it is their aim to ensure that “each individual receives only the medals to which he or she is entitled’’.:ugh:

Jimlad1
24th Aug 2011, 17:10
And your purpose for complaining on a public internet forum rather than through the MOD / MP etc is what exactly?

standrews
24th Aug 2011, 17:19
Been there, done that and exhausted all avenues. I just do not wish anyone to be treated the way I have been treated by the MOD Medal Office and this is simply a warning to others.

P6 Driver
24th Aug 2011, 17:31
You could make an allegation that a crime has been committed to the Police if you think a crime has been committed...

No, not THAT policeman - try a different one!

Jimlad1
24th Aug 2011, 18:14
Sorry to sound harsh, but its time for some tough love.

The MOD regularly receives complaints from people who feel that wrong has been done to them, or by someone else and that the MOD should investigate and 'do something about it'.

These claims are usually taken seriously, and by that I mean an investigation will be undertaken into the facts of the situation, which can often mean reviewing documents not available, or not seen, by the complainant. This will often involve a lot of staff time, which is essentially using taxpayers money to fund an investigation, as the person looking into it has a day job to do as well. They will look into it and make a decision based on all the facts available to them, and not just those of the person complaining.

It sounds to me like you have received an answer that you dont like, that the MOD has spent a lot of time and public money investigating it, and you've kept complaining and still the answer hasnt changed.

Your reaction is to instead post an angry post on the internet which makes you look bitter and not very mature, besmirching the work of an entire office of people who are doing a reasonably good job of ensuring that people get their medals. (I've used them plenty of times and never had a problem with them). You've decided that because you aren't personally happy that your version of events hasn't been believed, you have the right to make some fairly harsh allegations against an entire organisation.

I'm sorry you feel aggrieved at what has gone on, and that the answer you were seeking isn't the one you hoped for. You have to let it go though - please don't become one of the many sad people who cling in vain, and frankly futile, hope that your collection of letters to different people will change the answer. Posting grumpy posts here, or elsewhere doesnt acheive anything and won't change the result, and only makes you look small. Personally I'd chose to walk away with my dignity intact, pour a stiff drink and realise there is more important things in life to worry about than whether Bloggs has got a medal that he may or may not be entitled to.

cazatou
24th Aug 2011, 18:38
It would appear to me that if his late Father had not claimed the medals he was entitled to - and his widow had not claimed them either - then the son would be perfectly entitled to claim so that the medals could pass down through the Family.

What is the problem?

If he was entitled to the medal then his family would be entitled to claim it once he was deceased.

Tankertrashnav
25th Aug 2011, 09:46
When I claimed a medal which my late father had never received, all of his children had to sign a declaration (my mother was deceased by this time). As my eldest sister was out of the country and getting her signature would have delayed matters we simply lied and stated there were only four children, not five. We were probably as guilty as this policeman, but frankly I regarded this as only a technical offence as we were not claiming something that my father would not have been entitled to.

Storm in a teacup, if you ask me.