PDA

View Full Version : Best Aviation watch/timepiece

Mimpe
24th Aug 2011, 12:05
I have an old seiko thats getting a bit dowdy, and I'd like to find out what other pilot loved timepieces/ wristwatches are out there.

My specs
1. Simple to see night and day with or without ambient light,and not too complex
2. Dual time- local and UTC- the utc preferably in digital format
3.Alarm, date, and not to much tiny notated slide rule stuff
4. High quality and traditional looking (personal preference), durable.
5. Price not outrageous

The current candidates are

Seiko mens Sportura/Coutura
Citizen Promaster Air -Wingman
Traser Aviation watch

The suunto look too funky

Rubber Dog
24th Aug 2011, 12:51
I have had my Citizen eco drive skyhawk for years. I think it has great all round functionality.

Capn Bloggs
24th Aug 2011, 12:52
One of these (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/290590033123?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649).
Had one for two years, rubber bit on band broke, so I just ordered another watch! Top watch, big characters, timezones, the works. Only downside, no sweep second-hand. I haven't missed it though.

Mimpe
24th Aug 2011, 12:57
Yes Blogs the Casios look quite practical.

Worrals in the wilds
24th Aug 2011, 14:11
This is from a diving perspective rather than flying, but both pursuits demand good watches (and pilots' watches are rarely forced to endure salt water at depth, and if it does watch performance is probably the least of your worries :eek::})...
In my experience Loyal are well worth looking at and have models that meet your requirements.
http://www.loyalwatches.com.au/default.asp
They don't do specific Aviator watches, but I bought one of their dive watches at a very reasonable cost and have flogged it diving, working, partying, bushwalking et al and it's never missed a beat. They're very unpretentious (and may not have the flying gadgets you seek) but they're tough and look nice. :ok:

Suunto are The Name in diving for the dudes who penetrate the Lusitania and do advertising endorsements in the $10 magazines, but they charge accordingly...Good instruments with justifiable swank factor, but pricey; they're kind of like the Breitling for the SCUBA Brigade.

jas24zzk
24th Aug 2011, 14:49
I have a Casio G-shock that has proven great.

Dual time, Analogue and digital.

I have the digital in local and the Analogue set in in GMT.

Luminous, so great at night in low light.

Always use the analogue for flying as it makes time calcs easier as you can see wtf you are doing.

Jas

PS..only critic is that it is a bit bulky

Capt Claret
24th Aug 2011, 17:36
Tissot Navigator 3000. :ok:

tinpis
24th Aug 2011, 20:11
Very nice

https://shop.laco.de/de/Laco1925/miyota-black-automatik.html

( $AUD 273)

and....

https://shop.laco.de/en/Pilot-Watch.html

framer
24th Aug 2011, 20:32
I had a Nike watch that was marketed at track runners that was absolutely perfect for me.
The main reason was that the dual time was displayed simultaneously, top half of the screen I had UTC, bottom half local. It was simple to get to the countdown timer alarm and stopwatch. and if you touched it at night it illuminated enough to read it easily but not so bright it was annoying.
The most functional flying watch I've ever owned.
I lost it and have never found another. I bought it in Singapore. Actually, I think I might traul the net looking for another one. Only $100 USD too.
Framer

HPSOV L
24th Aug 2011, 21:17
I never found the perfect watch; most 'aviator' watches are a marketers idea of what a pilot would want (a tachymeter- haha; that will impress the ladies!).

Here's my wish list:

Analogue hands (easy to change time zones)
Large digital display of UTC date and time
Rotating 12 Hour bezel (so I can set departure time, if the last ten minutes/2 segments were shaded it would be handy )
Light
Usual alarm stopwatch etc
Lastly that elusive aesthetic that says 'I am a grown up professional'. Don't laugh.

Presently use a Citizen Promaster Aqualand that at least does the top two, and maybe the last. Robust but an ugly brute, and too bulky so it catches on the edge of my nav bag when I dive in there fumbling for stuff.

BrokenConrod
24th Aug 2011, 22:21
I have GPS and an iPhone - haven't worn a watch for 20 yrs.

BC :cool:

Lancair70
24th Aug 2011, 23:25
I vote for Citizen Promaster Wingman VI, I dont think its made anymore but the new equivalent would be even better as it has Ecodrive, never need batteries again.

tinpis
24th Aug 2011, 23:40
Do they Arab chaps still pony up a Gold Rolex if you fly them?

troppo
25th Aug 2011, 00:32
Did you hear the joke about pilot watches? :}:}

Old Akro
25th Aug 2011, 00:40
Try Luminox or Wenger

Healey 3000
25th Aug 2011, 01:06
+1 For anything Citizen Ecodrive. I have one of the Promaster models and it has worked flawlessly for the last 6+ years and still going strong. No batteries required either!

Rossy
25th Aug 2011, 01:31
My citizen eco drive iscoming up for 6 years old and actually loses time, albeit quite slowly, which i find really frustrating! maybe 5 min over saw 3-6 weeks. Told the man that changes watch batteries and he said it's a capacitator or something and would cost $$150 for another one!!!!!! I kinda think its something with my watch itself and doubt spending the $$ will fix it. Any ideas?

Shark Slayer
25th Aug 2011, 03:33
Anything that tells you the time normally is OK.

Don't believe all the Bullsh*t you see in advertising.

Save your expensive watch for your time and wear a cheapie to work.

remoak
25th Aug 2011, 03:40
Never use one, the digital job in the panel of any serious aircraft is much more effective.

If I had to buy one, I reckon one of these...

Cool Sport/Fashion LED Watch w/ Touch Ring - ylw/hex LED Watch Stop (http://www.ledwatchstop.com/store/cool-sportfashion-watch-touch-ring-ylwhex-p-584.html)

...or one of these...

PHOSPHOR E INK - Digital Hour BKML LED Watch Stop (http://www.ledwatchstop.com/store/phosphor-digital-hour-bkml-p-587.html)

tinpis
25th Aug 2011, 03:42
I like to watch :E

Captain Nomad
25th Aug 2011, 03:55
Another vote for Citizen. I have a Citizen Promaster Navihawk but I don't think it is available anymore - taken over by the EcoDrive models. What I like about mine compared to the new ones is that it is less bulky and you can actually read the digital display (it is bigger).

Downsides: doesn't have a backlight (not really a loss in my opinion), doesn't do half-penny timezones (not good if you live in SA - that is the only timezone it doesn't do), doesn't have a second hand but seconds are constantly displayed digitally so no loss for me, still has a battery which needs to be replaced by a watchmaker but that only happens every three or four years (and it is a tax deduction)!

For the quality and the price I would find it very hard to replace - besides, you get attached to these things... :uhoh: :E

QSK?
25th Aug 2011, 04:38
Wenger Watches get my vote.

I have the Wenger Military watch which is fantastic for day/night flying. Black background and a red second hand , with whitish/green hour/minute hands and large numerals that really glow at night; and also the glow lasts all night. The presentation is simple and uncluttered. I require glasses to read charts etc in the cockpit but I don't need my glasses on to read my watch at night. Great!

My model doesn't have the second time zone but there are other Wenger models that do offer this facility.

Costs generally around the AUD 300-500 mark. Well worth a look.

slackie
25th Aug 2011, 04:44
Yeah... can't go past a Citizen Navihawk... had one for about 6 years... bought if off eBay for about US$150... not one of the newer EcoDrive ones, but does everything you need it to. The navcomputer bezel is a little fiddly to use and a bit small for aging eyes, but it's all there!:ok:

Howard Hughes
25th Aug 2011, 05:55
The ants pants in navigational time pieces! :ok:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/ef/Harrison_chronometer.jpg/475px-

Worrals in the wilds
25th Aug 2011, 06:32
Lovely, is it yours?
Maybe a little impractical for everyday use though? ;)
You could go completely retro and tow a sundial around on a small trolley...:}

Jagdfalke
25th Aug 2011, 07:57
+1 for the Citizen love

I have a Citizen Skyhawk and love it.

ejet3
25th Aug 2011, 08:04
ive had this watch for over a year now and its great worth over $850
Watch Details for Skyhawk A-T | Citizen Eco-Drive (http://www.citizenwatch.com/COA/English/detail.asp?Country=COA&Language=English&ModelNumber=JY0010-50E&page=2)
I would get the titanium one so much lighter i got myn on ebay for about $450 delivered with 5 years warranty!!!

Howard Hughes
25th Aug 2011, 09:06
Lovely, is it yours?
I wish it was mine...:ok:
Maybe a little impractical for everyday use though?
I thought that's what those big flight bags were for!;)

Captain Nomad
25th Aug 2011, 10:59
ejet3 - out of interest, does that Citizen model do the Central Aus time zone?

Horatio Leafblower
25th Aug 2011, 11:19
It's possible to put the hands 30 minutes out of whack on the Citizens, but it's not tidy.

Work well for people living in the real world though :ok:

zappalin
25th Aug 2011, 11:53
Pilot skill and aptitude is measured almost exclusively by watch diameter, so of course biggest is best! Preferably a model that makes mention of being a pilot's watch also. Now this usually leads to Breitling, but ze Germans do a top job also.
This one is nice, though a little on the small side:
Sinn Uhren: Modell 900 PILOT (http://www.sinn.de/en/Modell/900_PILOT.htm)

Di_Vosh
25th Aug 2011, 22:41
Another vote for the Citizen Eco-Drive! :ok:

DIVOSH!

knox
26th Aug 2011, 00:25
This is mine
Scorpio Distributors Ltd - Suppliers of Inflight & Travel Retail products (http://www.scorpdis.com/catalog_inflight_productview.php?product_id=2672)

Can't complain... tells the time and date :ok:

Had/have a 100 buck lorus watch that is still a great time piece.

Some dudes wear earings, rings, necklace etc..... personally I dig watches.
One day when i'm a rich pilot;) i'll spend a few K on something with some major bling, until then i'll stick with the cheapies.

Knox.

Captain Nomad
26th Aug 2011, 00:38
Horatio, unlike the new models the old Navihawk does not have a seperate 'knob' for adjusting the analogue display independant of digital. The ONLY way I could get Central Aus time on my watch would be to set UTC 30min out of whack which would then automatically set all the other time zones accordingly - fine if Central Aus time is all you want, but every other time zone would then be off...

aerobatologist
26th Aug 2011, 00:49
My Citizen Eco Drive has served me well for five years now. Another vote for this one.

Like most others here, I long for the day when I can justify wearing a Breitling. But for now those things cost more than some of the aircraft I fly :sad:

CazbahKid
26th Aug 2011, 01:05
I got this about a year ago from eBay for about $250 from memory. Had no troubles with it and the best part is no batteries!

Citizen Watch Model Number BJ7010-59E (http://www.citizenwatches.com.au/model/BJ7010-59E)

The Green Goblin
26th Aug 2011, 01:15
Citizen Watch Model Number JQ8000-50E, calibre C460, Promaster: 2-year battery life, Mineral glass, Stainless steel, WR100/10bar, 30 cities world time, Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) display, Slide rule rotation bezel, Fuel consumption calculations (http://www.citizenwatches.com.au/model/JQ8000-50E)

This is the way to go.

tinpis
26th Aug 2011, 01:19
What do the lady pilots wear? Big watch big ....?

http://www.fashionwatchesonline.co.uk/shop_images/phpthumb/phpThumb.php?src=/shop_images/large_244.jpg&w=333&h=302&far=1

ReverseFlight
26th Aug 2011, 04:23
I switched to a Traser about 6 months ago because I was tired of having to press a button to illuminate a screen in the dark, knowing I am shortening the battery a bit more every time I do it ...

Another thing is if you wake up in total darkness while overnighting in some remote 2-star hotel, all you need is to glance at your watch to see how many more minutes' rest you'll get before the driver from your budget airline bangs down your door before dawn ...

Howard Hughes
26th Aug 2011, 13:34
Pro-master (http://www.citizenwatches.com.au/model/JV0020-21F) - 42 cities World time (including Adelaide). :ok:

Horatio Leafblower
26th Aug 2011, 18:10
Horatio, unlike the new models the old Navihawk does not have a seperate 'knob' for adjusting the analogue display independant of digital.

Mine is a C300 series, about 2006 vintage. There is a reset function (using the buttons) that allows you to re-align all the hands at "12" - you could use the same function to re-align the minute hand at "6".

It means all your analogue display is out of whack, but your analogue can be correct for local while still displaying UTC. :ok:

sms777
26th Aug 2011, 22:45
Real pilots wear Brietling!
I could not afford a genuine one so I bought a knock off in HK for $100.:O

ReverseFlight
27th Aug 2011, 04:58
sms777, you were ripped off ! My Brietling from Shanghai only cost $50. :ok:

The Green Goblin
27th Aug 2011, 06:53
I bought my real breitling second hand on eBay :)

Go the Navitimer :D

Chronic Snoozer
27th Aug 2011, 17:06
Try a SINN. Accurate, legible in all light/dark - not too pricey. 757 UTC looks the goods.

Thommen also do a nice 'Flyback' watch. R E V U E T H O M M E N (http://www.revue-thommen.ch/flyback.htm)

romeocharlie
31st Aug 2011, 02:16
From your choices citizen are great, I had the same dilemma when my old casio threw in the towel. For something a little outside the square I bought an iPod nano and a watchband. Total cost about 190 - about cost of casio. Analogue face and you'll have no drama seeing it in the dark - you can adjust the brightness as required.

iWatchz Q Series watchband for iPod nano - Apple Store (U.S.) (http://store.apple.com/us/product/H3791ZM/A)

flyboy_nz
31st Aug 2011, 11:29
Mate, 2 cents worth from a guy who loves watches as much as aircraft. Heck, at times I have judged people for the watch on their wrist! (I am gonna get verbal raping for that last statement).

Anyway, are you looking for a pilot watch to wear to work or to wear one while you are out?

I wear a Timex Ironman Indiglo. A cheap $100 dollar watch my parents gifted me when I was 15. It has been on my wrist ever since. Dual time zones, 100m water resistance, stop watch and countdown timer, this watch has been perfect for flying.

Casio g-shocks can be picked up on eBay for similar prices and are fantastic. Very popular with fighter pilots around the world. Seiko also make some really good watches. I would highly recommend any of these three brands, they are known to be reliable and can withstand some abuse.

If mechanical chronographs are your fancy but can not afford to at the moment, you can score the Russian ones for around $300-500. Poljot has some good reliable pieces that use movements which are Swiss 7750 replicas. Would not recommend for daily GA flying.

Tissot PRC200 and the Victorinox classic chrono range have some beautiful quartz chronographs. You can wear them to work and going out. Easily picked up at around $200 on eBay or watch forums.

Breitling, overpriced oversized 'bling bling' watches MOSTLY favored by wannabes and rap artists. Overpriced yes, they do not make their own movements (they have started to with the B01). You could call it the next dad to wear after a Rolex. Navitimer a beautiful watch that has lost all it's glory due to the number of fakes that everyone else has on their wrist after a trip to Thailand. There are way better watches out there with in-house movements for the price of a Breitling.

If you really want a proper aviation watch, Bremont is the name. If you really want a beautiful watch, look no further than a Patek.

You can visit www dot watch u seek dot com. Good watch forum.

Luke SkyToddler
31st Aug 2011, 11:37
Best aviation watch = no watch at all and a iphone in your pocket ... it's got a clock on the front anyway and it's MUCH more useful at flight planning time than any poxy old watch

flyboy_nz
31st Aug 2011, 11:52
Correction made, thanx Capt.

Captain Nomad
1st Sep 2011, 05:47
Best aviation watch = no watch at all and a iphone in your pocket ...

...And what happens when your phone battery goes flat? Isn't there a rule somewhere about how a phone is not acceptible as time piece for this reason?

Flyboy_nz, a few options for people to choose from there...! One of my best watches was a $50 watch with a clear analogue face and an independant digital display at the bottom with a 60 min bezel on the outside.

Having said that, my Citizen ain't just a pretty face, I have given it a hard life of everyday wear for almost 10 years now and despite some minor scratches on the crystal face and replacing a couple of strap pins and batteries it almost looks as good as new and has never let me down. Even when the battery goes flat it happens gradually over a few weeks with the digital display slowly fading so you know it's on the way out and don't get stuck suddenly with a dud watch.

Capn Bloggs
1st Sep 2011, 06:05
Best aviation watch = no watch at all and a iphone in your pocket ...
A classic example of an inerd. ;)

Old Akro
1st Sep 2011, 07:30
...And what happens when your phone battery goes flat?

At least the iphone can be plugged into the cigarette lighter. If the battery on your Citizen goes flat you're stuffed.

I used to have a Citizen Wingman with the slide rule. It was fun for showing off with quick calculations in meetings. But with a calculator on the iPhone its not necessary. Indeed between the panel GPS calc functions and the electronic E6-B on the iPhone, there is no need for any calculation facility on a watch anymore.

On the few times I fly a reversal instrument approach (training / currency), I use the timer on the ADF or the aircraft chronometer.

That leaves the only real function left for my watch is to tell the time. So, I'm back to a plain faced - easy to read watch. I do like the second time zone for travelling, although the world clock function on the iphone is easier.

You can't beat the GMT version of Luminox for night use, although I prefer a more plain looking watch for day to day use. At the moment is a Wegner GMT. It might be a Poljot next for fun. One day going through Singapore it will become a classic mechanical Speedmaster.

b_sta
1st Sep 2011, 09:14
If you're going to own a decent watch then make it a mechanical watch, none of this battery operated quartz rubbish.

Captain Sand Dune
1st Sep 2011, 09:39
Real pilots wear Brietling!

Ermm.....I was think real something else.............:E

Metro man
1st Sep 2011, 10:06
Get one of these.:E

http://www.rugift.com/watches/images/191hs1.jpg

D.Lamination
1st Sep 2011, 13:08
Treat yourself to a Breitling Aerospace.
Bought mine in 1993. Still going strong. Expensive then but now cheap on a per annum basis!

BTW the "Aerospace" model is rarely faked as opposed to the chronometers. :cool:

34lurker
1st Sep 2011, 13:20
I'm no aviator but have had a Seiko sports 100 since my 21st birthday in 1982. On its 5th battery, keeps great time and would never part with it.

training wheels
1st Sep 2011, 15:47
Just had a quick look at CAO 20.18 (http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/download/orders/cao20/2018.pdf) which no longer requires the use of a timepiece with a sweep second hand. Seems like the CAO's have caught up to the digital age .. :E

Captain Nomad
2nd Sep 2011, 02:36
At least the iphone can be plugged into the cigarette lighter

Not all aircraft have ciggie lighters for instant power rescue.

If the battery on your Citizen goes flat you're stuffed.

As I already mentioned, the battery dies slowly over several weeks with a gradually dimming digital display and no loss of time keeping - you don't get stuffed straight away and without warning! :E

Woodwork
2nd Sep 2011, 02:54
I have a fancy Omega mechanical watch, just like they wore on Apollo 11 (or so says the marketing guff). It's a beautiful piece of artisanship and I wear it every day. Except when I need an accurate, easy-to-read timepiece like when flying or diving. Then the many small dials, the beautifully hand-etched but tiny graduation marks, and lovely domed Swiss glass, conspire to make it too hard to read.

I swap to a cheaper Seiko battery-powered watch when I need one for accuracy. It's much simpler and the electric operation is considerably more accurate and reliable, plus if it ****s itself (unlikely) or I lose it (highly likely), it's only a few hundred instead of six months' mortgage payments.

Pulsar have recently re-invented themselves as a Seiko-like competitor, and their stuff seems pretty good and reasonably priced. I'd look at them if the Seiko dies.

Mimpe
2nd Sep 2011, 10:27
I ended up getting a Seiko alarm chronograph.

i can use the alarm face as a utc time and it glows in the dark for my GA night flying. theres also a nice stopwatch thats easy to use for engine time on.

Generally they all struck me as way too complex for true usefullness, especially in the air, but it I could get it on FF points so minimal out of pocket.

Now i have to take a few days off to work out how to operate the thing.

I must say it does simple metric to imperial conversions nicely but thats hardly an essential thing.

Brachetta
5th Oct 2011, 11:26
Just got this one http://www.watchdoor.com/uploadfile/201104/20110420121443305.jpg
Beautiful and solid watch with many features completely impractical in real flying but complete nonetheless, compass, thermometer, moon and all sort of stuff…nice timepiece for everyday abuse.

Got few months back this one http://www.watchesgb.com/Thumbnail.aspx?w=325&h=325&f=/pi/casio/GW-3000B-1AER.jpg
Not very happy with it. Looks good but chronometer is confusing .

Other than that I use Tag Heuer F1 and a Rolex Oyster datejust gift of my parents years ago…classic and happy with it.