PDA

View Full Version : Pan Am TV show coming soon... (and other flying drama series)

NorthernKestrel
23rd Aug 2011, 17:59
New show on Pan Am airing next month in the US (and also snapped up by BBC2) - seems to be aining to do Mad Men with 707s...

Good summary here on the RAeS site of previous attempts to bring flying to the small screen - with mixed results...

Does flying make good TV drama? | Community | The Royal Aeronautical Society (http://media.aerosociety.com/aerospace-insight/2011/08/22/does-flying-make-good-tv-drama/5164/)

Don't know why some of these (better) ones can't be repeated - like The Plane Makers, Pathfinders, or Piece of Cake... especially considering the dross that makes it on our screens... (Total WipeOut?????)

Tankertrashnav
23rd Aug 2011, 20:15
Not drama I know - but I loved "Diamonds in the Sky" about the early days of airlines, presented IIRC by Brian Pettifer.

There were a couple of dramas about post war civil aviation as I recall, one with Roy Marsden flying a DC3 (?) and another one I vaguely remember about an airline which operated a single Britannia - anyone else remember that one or did I make it up :confused:

One big mistake they always make with the military ones are the actors playing the pilots are always too young and handsome - not enough fat bald ones to give it that true-to-life feel!

Phileas Fogg
23rd Aug 2011, 20:37
The Britannia, or CL44, or whatever, I recall as being 'Redair' using the airline 'Redcoat' ... I think, but my brain cells aren't what they were :)

The Roy Marsden one I recall being quoted to be actually based on the early days of British Air Ferries.

Talking of PanAm ... How's Gaddafi getting along, have they got him yet?

JEM60
23rd Aug 2011, 20:59
Phileas, you are correct. A Britannia was used. Sadly, shortly after the series was filmed, I believe this aircraft crashed near Boston Mass. after icing problems, only the engineer surviving.

Phileas Fogg
23rd Aug 2011, 21:56
Here we go, it was called 'Buccaneer':

Buccaneer (TV series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buccaneer_(TV_series))

Groundloop
24th Aug 2011, 08:27
The Roy Marsden series was simply called "Airline" and his airline was called Ruskin Air Services.

merlinxx
24th Aug 2011, 11:30
Which US network ?

teeteringhead
24th Aug 2011, 12:12
And the name of the pilot character in Buccaneer was ..........

........... Tony Blair!!!!:sad:

NorthernKestrel
24th Aug 2011, 12:52
It's ABC in the US - but BBC2 will be showing it in UK at some unspecified date.

'Buccaneers' - never watched that but amused that lead character was T Blair!! (Don't tell me - chief financial officer of that fictional airline was a bitter rival - G Brown...!)

merlinxx
27th Aug 2011, 05:26
Starts 10pm central on 25 Sept. Check Watch Full Episodes for Free Online - Pan Am - ABC.com (http://www.abc.go.com/shows/pan-am)

Tis free :ok:

Thks again Kestral

PS. just been told by a chum in SJC

compton3bravo
27th Aug 2011, 09:25
Yes Buccaneer used the Redcoat Britannia with most of the ground shots being filmed at Cranfield in Bedfordshire just a short hop from Luton where Redcoat was based.
A much earlier BBC children's series - around the late 1950s had a Captain Halliday who was played by Terence Longdon who unfortunately has just passed away. I cannot remember the title but it used a Silver City DC-3 and even though it was a children's programme it had a large adult following. Will give the Pan Am programme a look - if it is made by HBO then I think it will be good.

cliver029
28th Aug 2011, 20:50
C3B

It was called Garry Halliday.;)

CDR