PDA

View Full Version : WWII Records Help

Airborne Aircrew
23rd Aug 2011, 12:55
A fellow Rockape posted the following on RockNet trying to get some help. He has allowed me to cross post it here on the grounds that the members here are far more knowledgeable in matters such as this.

I have a friend's grandad who was too young to fly for the RAF during the war so flew for the Canadian Air Force instead, My friend applied for his military papers from Kew who wrote back saying she was denied access to them, she did tell me her grandad flew to Sweden often during the war to pick up escaped prisoners of war and she wondered if that was the reason she was denied access to them as it was secret. Now I said to her that the reason she may have been denied access could be that all his military details will be held Canadians. Can anyone offer any help here?Any ideas gratefully accepted.

Duncan D'Sorderlee
23rd Aug 2011, 13:13
Perhaps your mate tried the wrong place. RAF records are available from:

RAF Disclosures section
Room 221b, Trenchard Hall
RAF Cranwell
Sleaford
Lincs NG34 8HB

RCAF records are, I believe, available from:

Library and Archives Canada
395 Rue Wellington
Ottawa,
ON K1A 0N4, Canada

Duncs:ok:

Duncan D'Sorderlee
23rd Aug 2011, 13:15
Or, for less specific, but erudite comment, they could do worse than try:

World War 2 Talk (http://www.ww2talk.com/)

Duncan D'Sorderlee
23rd Aug 2011, 13:34
Notwithstanding potential NOK issues, I believe that Cranwell changes £30; the Cannucks will give a resume for free.

Airborne Aircrew
23rd Aug 2011, 13:51
Thank you Sir... Information passed on.

airborne_artist
23rd Aug 2011, 13:53
I have a friend's grandad who was too young to fly for the RAF during the war so flew for the Canadian Air Force instead, My friend applied for his military papers from Kew who wrote back saying she was denied access to them, she did tell me her grandad flew to Sweden often during the war to pick up escaped prisoners of war and she wondered if that was the reason she was denied access to them as it was secret. Now I said to her that the reason she may have been denied access could be that all his military details will be held Canadians. Can anyone offer any help here?

I'd be surprised if Kew withheld service records in the current day because the subject was involved in secret/sensitive operations sixty-five years ago. Sounds more likely that Kew don't have them, or that the requester didn't make clear the family connection if that was needed by Kew to release the records.

cazatou
23rd Aug 2011, 14:07
The Mosquito aircraft which flew to Sweden during WW2 and collected escaped POW's were officially operated by BOAC. It may be that the Navigator in question was "attatched" to BOAC from the RCAF.

Airborne Aircrew
23rd Aug 2011, 14:57
Thank you gentlemen... Passed on...

BossEyed
23rd Aug 2011, 19:15
AA, in this PPRuNe thread (http://www.pprune.org/aviation-history-nostalgia/383856-boac-mosquitoes.html) discussing the BOAC Mosquitos, there is a post (#23) with information about the BA Museum & Archives.

They are reported to have information on the subject that has helped others, and there is a contact email address.

Oh, and I'm sure it's obvious, but has he Googled "<surname> BOAC Mosquito"?

Airborne Aircrew
23rd Aug 2011, 21:04
Boss eyed... Thanks, that's a nice link... As to whether the googling was done, I don't know... But I'm sure they will now.:ok: