PDA

View Full Version : An introduction

Stikman
23rd Aug 2011, 00:57
Hi all..
Just wanted to introduce myself to everyone.
I'm 42 years old, and have held a PPL (largely not current) since 1991. My last flight as a Private Pilot was in 1996. Got married, had kids, and put the license away until last weekend.
I'm on a mission to get current again, and if the weekend's flight is any indication, it shouldn't be too difficult (which feels bloody great!)
I wanted to get my CPL when I was a lot younger, with a view to a career in aviation. Unfortunately, that never happened. Having said that, a CPL is still on the cards, I think. Whether I actually use it or not remains to be seen. Just putting this out there, though - should I gain my CPL, where to from there? At my age, I doubt I could ever make the airlines (and my family circumstances would preclude that anyhow, at least for now..)
I realise that a CPL is pretty low on the totem-pole....what flying jobs exist, if any, with just the CPL?

Cheers!
Damien

framer
23rd Aug 2011, 09:12
G'day Damian, welcome aboard.
Mate , this industry is so varied and so changeable at the moment that you never know what is going to happen next year.
There are a lot of advantages to learning new tricks when you're a bit older too.
My advice would be to keep taking small chips at the block while you're still passionate about flying and enjoy it. You never know where it may lead. Also, anytime someone is giving you flying advice, and they have a reputation as being 'experienced', have a long hard think about what they are experienced at.....and also if they actually are experienced or just experienced compared to you before you take the advice on board.
This website is great for learning but you have to weed out the rubbish.
Cheers

ravan
23rd Aug 2011, 10:31
Welcome Damien.

Don't know if this is what would work for you, but this has been my experience -

First flight in 1997 at age 41.
CPL completed August 1998 age 42
Instructor Rating November 1998 and start as Grade 3 Instructor.
10 years of instructing and piston charter work.
1 year with RFDS on Kingairs age 52
18 months with Charter company age 54
Chief Pilot/CFI currently age 55

Also been told that an application to a regional airline on turboprops wouldn't go astray if I was interested.

What I'm saying is that it is all up to you as to where you want let your flying take you. Dream big, work hard and make your own luck.

Cheers.