PDA

View Full Version : Alas, the Aerodrome is no more.

MATELO
22nd Aug 2011, 21:42
According to the boffins.

Latest extinct words revealed | The Sun |News (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3767134/Latest-extinct-words-revealed.html)

Gwyn_ap_Nudd
22nd Aug 2011, 21:49
How can a word be deemed "extinct" if it's still used?

kiwibrit
22nd Aug 2011, 21:55
What do we call Dunsfold now?

gayford
22nd Aug 2011, 21:56
""Aerodrome" was the "civvy" word, real ones were Airfields!!

Lima Juliet
22nd Aug 2011, 22:24
Landed in here just the other day...

Sywell Aerodrome (http://www.sywellaerodrome.co.uk/)

...I always thought that the Collins Dictionary was a crock of cr@p, now I know.

LJ

Archimedes
22nd Aug 2011, 22:42
Given that there is a blog called 'The Aerodrome' (the blog for students doing an MA in air power at Birmingham University), and since one of the largest websites/fora about First World War Aivation is called... you're ahead of me here.... might I suggest that the Sun is talking rubbish and that GaN is spot on in his question?

Arm out the window
22nd Aug 2011, 22:52
The only way you'd call the term 'aerodrome' dead is the form where it was the name of an actual flying machine, eg Langley's Aerodrome. It has to be said we don't walk out in the morning saying "I'll just take the old aerodrome up for a spin."

However, if we're talking places where flying machines operate from, then aerodrome is alive and well.

Collins Dictionary, you can get stuffed.

Tiger_mate
23rd Aug 2011, 05:12
The Shuttleworth Collection,
Shuttleworth (Old Warden) Aerodrome,

Denham Aerodrome
Dunsfold Aerodrome
Goodwood Aerodrome
Headcorn Aerodrome
Redhill Aerodrome
Northrepps Aerodrome
Stapleford Aerodrome
Sywell Aerodrome
Turweston Aerodrome

NATS list: NATS (http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/public/index.php%3Foption=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=6&Itemid=13.html)

Finningley Boy
23rd Aug 2011, 05:52
I think the currant bun has confused extinct with unfashionable here rather than anything else.

FB:)

Whopity
23rd Aug 2011, 06:31
As defined in the Air Navigation Order'Aerodrome':
(a) means any area of land or water designed, equipped, set apart or commonly
used for affording facilities for the landing and departure of aircraft; and
(b) includes any area or space, whether on the ground, on the roof of a building or
elsewhere, which is designed, equipped or set apart for affording facilities for
the landing and departure of aircraft capable of descending or climbing
vertically; but
(c) does not include any area the use of which for affording facilities for the landing
and departure of aircraft has been abandoned and has not been resumed;And the CAA still has an Aerodrome Standards Dept and licences aerodromes!

2Planks
23rd Aug 2011, 06:44
Finningley Boy - Are they removing unfashionable words or ones with more than 2 syllables so the average bun reader/yoof can cope - innit? :E

thunderbird7
23rd Aug 2011, 06:57
I always understood an 'aerodrome' to be a landing place affording no customs facilities, as opposed to an 'airport', which does.

And I also understood that the Sun only used words of one syllable, so maybe they are just showing off?

HTB
23rd Aug 2011, 07:06
To reinforce Whopity's (accurate) observation, EASA also uses the term "aerodrome" and has a section dealing with rulemaking for said entities.

Mister B

Whopity
23rd Aug 2011, 08:04
To say nothing of ICAO Annex 14 AERODROMES

teeteringhead
23rd Aug 2011, 08:13
And certainly those "aviation facilities" which are run by the Government and not the military (eg St Athan, Boscombe etc) are technically "Government Aerodromes".

Dop
23rd Aug 2011, 08:14
One cannot take a charabanc to the aerodrome to fly one's cyclogiro?

Whopity
27th Aug 2011, 07:16
Which probably means you couldn't be prosecuted for speeding on the way!