PDA

View Full Version : how to get an FAA PPL as European

vandereydt
22nd Aug 2011, 14:36
Hi All

I v got an N reg plane, am living in Belgium

I would like to go for an FAA PPL licence.

Has anybody gone this route before?

Is it absolutely necessary to travel to the US ?

My idea was/is to get some flying lessons here, 30-40 hours, of course allways with an instructor present, basically I want to learn to fly here. Then go to the US and get it all sorted out in a flying school, do the minimum hours and the exams. I know this is the more expensive route but unfortunately I cannot afford to go to the US for a three week period (or more)

What can I do over here? Is it possible to get a medical FAA done in Europe?
I assume some flying schools will offer computer based programs for the theory so that I can do that from home.

Was thinking of going to a Texas flying school, what are your experiences, who to go to??

Thanks for your info
Ronny

IO540
22nd Aug 2011, 14:53
It can all be done in Europe.

The training is easy. The FAA accepts all ICAO foreign training so your existing logbook entries all count towards any FAA paper.

The medical is easy. Plenty of FAA doctors in Europe.

It is the checkride (the flight test) which people have had a lot of "fun" with in recent years.

If you already have a JAA PPL (you say you already have a plane) with the night qualification then I suggest doing the written exam here, the medical here, and then pop over to the USA for a few days (allow a week) and do all the flying and checkride out there.

B2N2
22nd Aug 2011, 15:36
Well, since you are not too interested in coming to the US try Air Service Limburg
ASL Air Service Limburg | ASL Flight Academy (http://www.asl.nl/)
They used to do FAA training courses and could arrange a UK FAA examiner also.

jxc
22nd Aug 2011, 15:51
Don't trolls live under bridges ?

Sam Rutherford
23rd Aug 2011, 16:22
Easiest? Get a "piggyback" licence...

No flying, no training, no check-ride, no exams, just some paperwork and perhaps a month's wait (sometimes more, sometimes less).

You will need to fly to the US to collect it - but just tie that in with a holiday or even weekend city-trip.

Cheap, easy, done...

Fly safe, Sam.

PS I'm in Brussels if you want to know more about it (pros and cons).

HighFlyer75
23rd Aug 2011, 17:11
Forgetting the fact that a piggyback licence is not the best way to go for someone who owns and regularly flies an N reg plane in Europe (the reasons for which have been done to death on other posts), the "No flying, no training" part of Sams post is not correct.

Yes you can be issued the piggyback licence without doing either but you cannot fly with it until you do a flight review. At a minimum this will be 1 hour ground and 1 hour flight with an instructor. However, if you are not familiar with US airspace, charts, regs etc then it could take longer.

Sam Rutherford
24th Aug 2011, 07:54
I, like others, assumed that he already had a JAA PPL.

On that basis, I repeat and am correct, that getting an FAA Private Cert does not require any exams or flying.

None, nada, zip.

It is, equally, simply a paperwork exercise apart from (as I mentioned) having to go to the US to collect the thing... Still no requirement for any exams or flying, also no requirement for any US medical or biennials - indeed, nothing additional to what you already have/need for your JAA (or most other states') licence.

If you then need to use your shiny new licence, there may well be additional requirements (depending on where/how/what) you want to fly - but that was not the question asked.

So, whilst the standalone option is undoubtably better, the piggyback is considerably cheaper and more easily obtained.

Fly safe, whatever licence you use! Sam.

Sam Rutherford
24th Aug 2011, 18:05
Hi SoCal,

What is incorrect about my previous post?

And if you don't have to go to the US to collect your Cert, perhaps you could tell me how? It used to be possible to meet up with the travelling New York FSDO when they visited Paris - but that stopped some time ago (I think).

Cheers, Sam.

PS I think it's only fair to let someone know about the Skoda option, even if the Rolls is undeniably better...

Cusco
24th Aug 2011, 18:41
A couple of years ago a visiting DPE (Dr Janeen Kochan) came over to UK and I went to Denham (where she was based temporarily) to convert my paper FAA cert to a plastic one and get English Proficiency added.

Saved me a trip to USA: The FAA stopped the visits shortly after but I understand her UK visits are about to resume if they haven't already done so.

Google her name for contact details.

Cusco

Grassfield
24th Aug 2011, 19:14
I agree with SoCal. Assuming vandereydt is going for a standalone FAA PPL he needs, written exams, practical flight training, check ride, and medical.

Flight hour requirements will have to be met (see FAR/AIM) - if he already holds a PPL, most of hour requirements are likely already met, but he still needs minimum 3h training prior to check ride within preceding 90 days, IIRC (this is covered in FAR/AIM).

I went down this route a couple of months ago (already having JAA licences wanting a standalone FAA PPL) and did all necessary steps in Europe (incl. check ride). Contact Orbifly flight training, they can help you out as they did with me.

Best,

GF

IO540
24th Aug 2011, 19:29
Freelance FAA DPEs have been coming over to Europe for many years, without appearing on the NY IFU's list of DPEs for the area.

Janeen Kochan has been over here recently, I gather.

echobeach
24th Aug 2011, 21:43
You definitely don't have to go to the USA to get your FAA 61.75. I did the whole thing with a few phone calls and travelling no farther than farnborough in uk. You do have to the flight review and ground part to validate so you can use the certificate.

I have posted previously an easy step by step guide to do this without leaving the uk. I did the bfr (a very detailed 2 hours plus ) at my home airfield.

For me the only downside to the 61.75 was I made the mistake of moving house which means I need to repeat the process.

I would love to have enough time to go to USA and do some flying. However if time is at a premium as it was for me, you can easily do the whole thing here

It was actually the new York fsdo who so helpfully pointed out to me whilst they would be delighted to see me, why didn't I just do this without leaving london. They were very helpful.*

echobeach
25th Aug 2011, 05:34
Thanks socal. I did notify the change and then tried to obtain new cert on line.
When I couldn't do this I e mailed FAA who wrote back to me saying that my certificate was invalid for use til I revalidated.
Will have another look at the FAR you reference.

Sam Rutherford
25th Aug 2011, 06:15
At the risk of being pedantic, I am still correct (assuming, as already mentioned, that you already hold a European licence).

You can get a FAA private cert without any flight reviews, medicals or anything else 'American'.

If you want to USE it, you need to do more.

Thanks for the update on the current situation with visiting DPE etc., handy information!

Fly safe, Sam.

IO540
25th Aug 2011, 06:23
Not sure that makes it legal... plus we had this discussion once before regarding a US citizen coming to work in the UK and taking remuneration for doing so... cash or otherwise. Just as it is not permitted vice versa.!! but I guess that is a discussion for another day.

Yawn...........

This was done to death here not long ago. Look up the Home Office regs. No Visa is required for this kind of work.

Sam Rutherford
25th Aug 2011, 14:53
and how much was it?

Ie less than the GBP400 you might be able to get a return flight for? :)

Still, good news that you don't have to trek halfway across the globe just to pick it up...

Fly safe, Sam.

IO540
25th Aug 2011, 15:11
In the USA, a DPE charges somewhere around $300, and the age-old tradition is that this is paid in cash, before the checkride :)

In Europe, DPE rates have been "somewhat higher" ;) But they are all freelancers and can charge what they like.

As a related example, I paid about £1300 to an FAA DAR, for his signoff (and about a day's work) when my plane went on the N register. A DAR in the USA charges around $200; I paid that to get an Export CofA (8130-4) signed for a piece of avionics.