PDA

View Full Version : Corporate Aviation (Flight Crew) In Australia.......How to?

Biggles266
22nd Aug 2011, 04:58
I'm hoping someone can shed some light on how to get into the Corporate Aviation World.
I'm a Commercial Pilot currently completing my MECIR and ATPL(subjects) at YMEN, every day these Gulfstreams, Global Express, Falcons and Hawkers are punching holes in clouds.
Every time i hear one spooling up i find myself running to the window to watch it take off, using what seemingly looks like less runway than the 172 and PA.44 i fly use.
How does one get into this world as a Pilot? From what i have seen and understandably i might add, they all ask for thousands of Hrs and current on type.

Is it a case of just gaining Hrs elsewhere and then paying for an endorsement?
Or just getting in the door and 'kicking ****' for months, even years and hoping that by showing your commitment they will offer you a company paid endorsement?

morno
22nd Aug 2011, 05:16
Is it a case of just gaining Hrs elsewhere

Yes and lot's of them.

and then paying for an endorsement?

No. If someone wants you to fly their jet around, they should and will pay for your endorsement.

There are a few jobs around where you can get an F/O spot with very few hours, but in 99% of cases you'll be the F/O forever. If however, you get into corporate with several thousand hours broken down into lot's of hours in different area's (night, turbine, command, multi engine) then you'll have a much better chance of progressing further than that co-pilot seat into a wider range of aircraft.

Think of it like this. In that part of the industry, you need to make yourself attractive with your extensive experience so that those who want the best, will want you. They can have whoever they want because it's a highly sought after and small part of the industry, so you're better off giving yourself the absolute best chance and get the experience first.

I've got just on 4,000hrs, nearly 1,000 night command and about 2,000 turbine command and I'd still consider myself not even anywhere near what people like that would want, unless I want to end up the Captain's bitch for the rest of my career.

morno

Mr.Buzzy
22nd Aug 2011, 05:18
Here's a crazy idea. Go find out where these cloud punching machines live and go chat to someone.
"door knocking" it used to be called and the results may astonish you!

Bbbbzbzbzbbbzzzzzz

VH-XXX
22nd Aug 2011, 05:19
It's not all about the hours. Know a Lear driver that was lucky to have had 600 hours when he landed FO job and quickly he became captain. How? Level head, knowledgable and had paid for an endo.

eocvictim
22nd Aug 2011, 06:01
While hours are a consideration its not how they make their choice. Corporate and in specific the mob you're talking about is a boys club. It's who you know. Hours wont help you if you don't know the right people. So start networking, get your ATPL, your hours and the job will be presented to you.

Seriously for the several guys I know in the corporate world they just happened to be in the right place at the right time, knew the right person and fell into it. The more guys I meet the more common that story becomes.

The only way to walk in uninvited is as a LAME with a CPL. They're screaming for LAME's who have a CPL because they pay you a slightly higher wage and they get a LAME to work on the aircraft globally and someone to help the captain out.

The only thing I would say is consider the lifestyle.

27/09
22nd Aug 2011, 11:20
The only thing I would say is consider the lifestyle.

A very valid point. You need to be prepared to go any where any time.

The Green Goblin
22nd Aug 2011, 12:43
A lot of guys I know that went in this direction (or wanted to) got there via Pel-Air or Australiasianjet.

At Pel-air you'd start off as a Metro FO on the night freighters and work up to a command. Then it was a westwind FO slot till the left seat became available.

Provided you didn't go looking for a ridge or take it for a swim, most guys went onto better things.

The other option was Ausjet. You start your way doing 404 tours around Australia, end up in the kingair while do a bit of citation flying. Provided you stick around you'll see the left seat of a citation in a few years.

These would be the best two places to start, although you'll need an ATPL and 500 multi to get your foot in the door.

Have fun, like everything it's a hard slog and does not come easy (unless you hand over a fistful of cash and sell your soul) :ouch:

neville_nobody
23rd Aug 2011, 00:25
How does one get into this world as a Pilot? From what i have seen and understandably i might add, they all ask for thousands of Hrs and current on type

It will also depend on what is happening in the airline world to. If there are redundancy in airlines then corporate jobs become very tough as there are jet pilots aplenty.

If you really want to fly corporate head to the USA or Asia as that is where most of the corporate action is. Australia is a very small market and is very much a boys club. Hiring is done on who you know rather than what ability/skill set you possess.

"V"
17th Mar 2012, 19:08
Gday lads,

Just wondering how many of you back home are working on an 'always on call' basis? Do most flight departments have 3-4 pilots per aircraft and you get some time off from being on call? Im overseas and very happy with my lifestyle, just curious if you guys have to wait for the boss to go to bed for you to get a beer :}

Howard Hughes
18th Mar 2012, 03:39
You need to be prepared to go any where any time.
Heard of a crew recently that left Oz on very short notice and didn't returm for 87 days...:eek:

Probably a single mans game, or those looking to be.;)

"V"
18th Mar 2012, 16:39
Bugger. Who works more, charter operators or private owners?

OhForSure
18th Mar 2012, 23:19
Ditto what HH said... know someone who left on a 2 week trip, only to return 2 months later... NOT the lifestyle everyone's after.

Wally Mk2
19th Mar 2012, 00:37
Have to agree with some in here, it's not the industry wonder that some think it is. You do need to know someone, the old saying it's not what you know it's who you know:-)
The lifestyle is often looked upon as glamorous but it ain't.
Too small an industry to support those just off the street unless yr damn lucky:-).

What 'GG' said is what it was like for me years ago as I have to thank Aussiejet for letting me in the front door but that was 'cause I only knew someone who knew someone who knew someone:ok:

Wmk2

Howard Hughes
19th Mar 2012, 01:21
Story of your career so far Wally, mine too for that matter!

It's all about who you know. ;)

rodney rude
19th Mar 2012, 07:08
I think you'd have to admit that my corporate lifestyle is pretty sweet Wally!!:ok: